Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sophomore

Should Scruggs stay for a 5th year?

My understanding is he is a 4th year senior so there is a 5th year for grad school, add in the eligibility waiver given this year and I think he could.

Any chance he does with his chemistry with this team really showcasing his skill?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    My understanding is he is a 4th year senior so there is a 5th year for grad school, add in the eligibility waiver given this year and I think he could.

Any chance he does with his chemistry with this team really showcasing his skill?
    If I could speak my truth, I would like a hit off of your kind buds you must be smoking.

Junior
    At that point I don’t think his future would be in b-ball. If he wants a future in b-ball staying one more year would be a terrible decision

I like to think by the end of the season we're going to have enough play makers and distributors to send Paulie off into the sunset. I'd like to say it was a good run, and I hope by the end of the year it will have been. We are making the distinction between if he should (which the thread clearly states) or if he will, which I doubt.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    absolutely not...I think it was great for him to come back, he's really flourishing as a leader overall, but he'll be able to start his pro career and there's no benefit to staying. A strong, 6-4 guard that can pass as well as he can, play D, and can score...he could be a reserve at the next level or have a nice career overseas

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    absolutely not...I think it was great for him to come back, he's really flourishing as a leader overall, but he'll be able to start his pro career and there's no benefit to staying. A strong, 6-4 guard that can pass as well as he can, play D, and can score...he could be a reserve at the next level or have a nice career overseas
    No, Scruggs needs to get paid.

this just made me realize senior day is going to kinda suck for these guys without many fans there to show appreciation.

Sophomore
    Paul S hit 2 free throws to put us up 91-89 against Florida State with 1.10 min to go March 2018 before we lost in the end as FSU had last 7(sound familiar). He has been a warrior and honestly if did not miss last 4 games last year we make the (nonexistent) tournament. Love the guy but he is not coming back

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    Paul S hit 2 free throws to put us up 91-89 against Florida State with 1.10 min to go March 2018 before we lost in the end as FSU had last 7(sound familiar). He has been a warrior and honestly if did not miss last 4 games last year we make the (nonexistent) tournament. Love the guy but he is not coming back
    Scruggs should not stay for a 5th year, unless he wants to which I doubt he does.

Last year Xavier bottomed out at 13-8 (2-6 in Big East). The next game was the mind boggling road win at Seton Hall on Feb. 1 last year. That started a 6-2 stretch. Scruggs missed the next 3 games with injury (all Xavier losses). Those games were at Providence (74-80 loss), home Butler (71-72 loss, Baldwin buzzer beater), DePaul at MSG in BET (67-71 loss). With Scruggs, Xavier may or may not have won at Providence but safe to assume a Butler win which would have meant they avoided playing Wednesday night in the Big East Tournament. It's all a moot point because he was out and they lost those games but Xavier definitely makes the tournament last year if Scruggs isn't out the last 3 games.

I am not saying that Xavier has turned a corner or anything, they seem like they are still treading water. And I can't say I am completely all in on Steele, although I do think he will end up being a good coach. But since dropping to 13-8 (2-6 Big East) at the end of January last year Xavier is 16-4 with Paul Scruggs in the lineup (16-7 including the 3 games Scruggs missed). Kind of a surprising to me. Starting 3-8 in Big East play in Steele's first year (6 game losing streak) and 2-6 in Big East in his second year (lost 5 of 6) plus the sour end to last season coupled with the overall ugly basketball has kind of left a bad taste in our mouths.

If he was planning on being an accountant or something after leaving, I would say, "Paul, you got the rest of your life to work. So stay in school."

But since he presumably plans to play hoops for a living, I would say, "Paul, you got about 10-12 or so more years to earn a living playing hoops. You should start doing that immediately."