Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Stats are nice but I'm going to have to buy a new couch and up the HBP meds if these heartattackkids keep this up.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Are you suggesting that young up-and-comers like John Fanta are not? Or is this more of a Dickey Simpkins shot across the bow?
    Oh, no. My Cleveland boy Johnny Fanta is the Real. His uncle was our Assistant Pastor for a while and his family is great.
    It was a Dickie Simpkins (and others) shot.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    Also pretty crazy that Xavier is 3-2 in conference play despite their two best players in Freemantle and Scruggs being at best okay. Xavier's Big East schedule so far hasn't been super difficult thus far but if Freemantle and Scruggs get back to playing like all-conference players then Xavier could maybe steal some games on the road against similar caliber teams like UConn, Providence, Marquette, and Seton Hall.

Freemantle in the non-conference vs in conference
    18.7 PPG vs. 11.6 PPG
    8.0 RPG vs. 7.8 RPG
    2.3 TOVPG 2.2 TOVPG
    62.6 FG% vs 37.0 FG%
    69.7 2FG% vs. 40.5 2FG%
    44.0 3FG% vs. 25.0 3FG%

Scruggs in the non-conference vs in conference
    14.6 PPG vs 12.8 PPG
    4.1 RPG vs 2.8 RPG
    7.1 APG vs 5.0 APG
    2.1 TOVPG vs 2.8 TOVPG
    47.9 FG% 45.1 FG%
    60.5 2FG% vs 43.8 2FG%
    30.0 3FG% vs 47.4 3FG%
    Also of note, while the schedule hasnt been super hard yet, we also have only played one of the bottom 4 teams. So we have 7 games left against the bottom 4. IF somehow we can manage to stay locked in against those 4 and sweep them than we would be guaranteed at least 10-10 record in BE. I know it isnt easy to sweep even the bottom teams but we probably really need to make sure we go at least 6-2 minimum against those 4 teams.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Agree with beating bottom 4 with at least 6-2 record. Playing against the top 4(VU, CU,SH, UConn) needs at least 2 wins for resume,
    At Marquette and At Providence will be a dog fight. Hope X splits those 2.
    Looking like 11-9 or 10-10 BE record. Hope X wins out.

Something that Joe and Byron talked about last night on the Travis Steele show:
    In the coaches huddle before the last play setup for “The Shot”, there was a discussion about who should be on the floor for that play. Originally Colby was not going to be out there, but Assistant Trey Scotti- THE VIDEO COORDINATOR - convinced Travis Steele to put Colby in and on the floor. The fact that Steele listened to his assistant, then put in a play that made him an option just elevates Steele in my eyes.
    I’ve said on this board for years that really good assistants on a staff make really good Head Coaches. I haven’t always been sure that Travis has been well served during games by his staff, but this appears to be corrected.
    I love that story.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-12-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    In the coaches huddle before the last play setup for “The Shot”, there was a discussion about who should be on the floor for that play. Originally Colby was not going to be out there, but Assistant Trey Scotti- THE VIDEO COORDINATOR - convinced Travis Steele to put Colby in and on the floor. The fact that Steele listened to his assistant, then put in a play that made him an option just elevates Steele in my eyes.
    I’ve said on this board for years that really good assistants on a staff make really good Head Coaches. I haven’t always been sure that Travis has been well served during games by his staff, but this appears to be corrected.
    I love that story.
    That’s a great story and agree about assistants being so important. Coaches that think they have to control everything and don’t let the assistants coach and have a say are doing themselves an injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I love that story.
    He mentioned it in his post game radio comments also.

All-Conference
    Does that say anything about our current assistants?

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Does that say anything about our current assistants?
    That they are pretty smart and not afraid to make suggestions?

It says this about Steele.....he’s not so big headed that he won’t take suggestions, AND that he is humble enough to give others the credit when they make good suggestions.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-13-2021 at 06:56 AM.

Junior
    I think he is saying- we have all these assistants and the video coordinator is the one who had to make the suggestion.