Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Exactly. Adam Kunkel is a better overall player than KyKy Tandy. They both have very high ceilings, but as of January 2021 there's no question Kunkel is the better and more college-proven player.

I hope Steele continues to play the players who give X the best chance at winnings as opposed to considering who needs minutes to stay happy. Sure, I hope that plan involves Tandy, but if it doesn't it doesn't.
    KyKy has a higher ceiling than Kunkel. Kunkel is a better player RIGHT NOW. Kunkel is simply more experienced. He was a key contributor for an NCAA tournament caliber team.

But potential means nothing if it's not fulfilled.

I think most want to see KyKy because he's more dynamic to watch, but I'm not so sure he's deserving of more time....yet.

There's absolutely going to be a game where he comes off the bench for 15-20.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-12-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    KyKy has a higher ceiling than Kunkel. Kunkel is a better player RIGHT NOW. Kunkel is simply more experienced. He was a key contributor for an NCAA tournament caliber team.

But potential means nothing if it's not fulfilled.

I think most want to see KyKy because he's more dynamic to watch, but I'm not so sure he's deserving of more time....yet.

There's absolutely going to be a game where he comes off the bench for 15-20.
    I also think Kyky will have a future moment for us this season as long as he hangs in there and does what is required.

I would disagree that Kyky is more dynamic right now. I think he does have a higher ceiling though.

But when Kyky is in I wouldnt call anything about him dynamic right now. Kunkel makes plays, I think he is much more dynamic right now than Kyky. I ahve been pleasantly surprised by Kunkel's ability to get to the rim and his playmaking ability.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Yeah, I don't know that KyKy has shown much outside of the ability to shoot and pull up. I.E. I have not seen too much playmaking skills, rebounding, etc.

All-Conference
    KyKy needs his first dunk - after that, watch out.

Sophomore
    Transferring is so easy and I hope he goes back to the drawing board and makes some adjustments to his defense and hustle..just push yourself as if you were trying out. If he gets through this year with Paul and Nate graduating there will be plenty of minutes for his skill to show itself. In a sense he was hurt by the pandemic which made Kunkel immediately eligible- we all loved it as fans and Kunkel has been very good at times (although he was not good against Seton Hall and Creighton). It hurts me as a fan to see an X player unhappy. Ironically Stanley may have been hurt by the pandemic like Kunkel was helped..I know as hard as practice is it is about 85% of a game (like against St Johns) where sadly they are shooting real bullets as far as defense effort and physicality goes. I thought he showed well but did not look like in "game shape" as far as flexibility and balance goes.
    Last edited by whopper; 01-12-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I also think Kyky will have a future moment for us this season as long as he hangs in there and does what is required.

I would disagree that Kyky is more dynamic right now. I think he does have a higher ceiling though.

But when Kyky is in I wouldnt call anything about him dynamic right now. Kunkel makes plays, I think he is much more dynamic right now than Kyky. I ahve been pleasantly surprised by Kunkel's ability to get to the rim and his playmaking ability.
    Well put. Kunkel plays hard all the time. That's not to say he doesn't make some mistakes, and hasn't had some bad games, but he brings the hustle for every minute he is in the game. I can't say that I've seen the same from KyKy. He just seems to immediately try to make a shot the first time he touches the ball.

KyKy definitely has the talent to be a star, but I don't think he has the level of talent where he doesn't have to fully buy-in to the scheme, defense, etc. Very, very few players do.
    Eat Donuts!

All-Conference
    More dynamic in that he's ultra athletic, and can do more exciting things that fans like (like dunk on 7 footers). That's why most fans want him in there, because he can potentially be more entertaining and explosive.

At this time, Kunkel's presence, experience, and team play gets him minutes. But if KyKy figures that stuff out, he has a much higher ceiling than Kunkel.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    More dynamic in that he's ultra athletic, and can do more exciting things that fans like (like dunk on 7 footers). That's why most fans want him in there, because he can potentially be more entertaining and explosive.

At this time, Kunkel's presence, experience, and team play gets him minutes. But if KyKy figures that stuff out, he has a much higher ceiling than Kunkel.
    In a game of one on one, I bet Tandy beats Kunkel 9 times out of 10. When there's 5 players on the floor, I think Kunkel is clearly the better player than Tandy, at least right now. Kunkel seems to have MUCH better feel for the game and what he needs to do out there, particularly offensively.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    In a game of one on one, I bet Tandy beats Kunkel 9 times out of 10. When there's 5 players on the floor, I think Kunkel is clearly the better player than Tandy, at least right now. Kunkel seems to have MUCH better feel for the game and what he needs to do out there, particularly offensively.
    Agreed.