Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free College?

Free College?

Without this turning into a Left v Right/Democrat v Republican discussion please....

How would the plan to provide free community college tuition for all, and free public university tuition for families making less than 125K effect the future of private universities like Xavier? Will they be able to survive?

It by belief that the “name” universities will survive, but will be forced to cut their tuition costs and services/courses they offer. It’s my belief that many small private universities will end up closing because of falling enrollments. Why would I spend thousands of dollars to send my young adult to a school like X when they could go to a public university for free? I can understand how some parents living in areas with poor public elementary and high schools are willing to pay extra money to send their kids to private schools, but with colleges there would be no such incentives. College students would be free to attend any public university they desired under the proposed plan.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Without this turning into a Left v Right/Democrat v Republican discussion please....

How would the plan to provide free community college tuition for all, and free public university tuition for families making less than 125K effect the future of private universities like Xavier? Will they be able to survive?

It by belief that the “name” universities will survive, but will be forced to cut their tuition costs and services/courses they offer. It’s my belief that many small private universities will end up closing because of falling enrollments. Why would I spend thousands of dollars to send my young adult to a school like X when they could go to a public university for free? I can understand how some parents living in areas with poor public elementary and high schools are willing to pay extra money to send their kids to private schools, but with colleges there would be no such incentives. College students would be free to attend any public university they desired under the proposed plan.
    Under this proposal, why not just give the kids X number of dollars and allow them to choose where they would prefer to attend school? If the parents can pony up the difference or if the kid elects to borrow additional money that should be allowed. Govt shouldn't be making decisions for you.

Also, A LOT of families making more than 125K aren't living high on the hog in America. It should be a graduated scale where the more you make the less benefit the family/kid gets. Keep in mind those big earners pay the vast majority of tax dollars in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Also, A LOT of families making more than 125K aren't living high on the hog in America. It should be a graduated scale where the more you make the less benefit the family/kid gets. Keep in mind those big earners pay the vast majority of tax dollars in this country.
    But IF the program went into effect as proposed by the incoming administration.....What will be the effect on Private Universities like X? That’s what I’m asking.

I’m very fearful that it will have a very adverse effect long term. In fact, I can think of no more sure way to destroy private education for the masses in this country than to make private compete against FREE public education.

But IF the program went into effect as proposed by the incoming administration.....What will be the effect on Private Universities like X? That’s what I’m asking.

I’m very fearful that it will have a very adverse effect long term. In fact, I can think of no more sure way to destroy private education for the masses in this country than to make private compete against FREE public education.
    I get it and agree. America is dumb. The majority of its publicly funded schools under perform and are constantly over budget.

High school grads could already continue to live with their parents and save $30,000/year by going to the nearest community college. I’m not sure the net price of a Cincinnati State-level education dropping from $3,500 to $0 really changes many people’s minds.

Free College?

I’ve said for years that college tuition is the next bubble to burst. You can’t forgive current student debt without addressing the underlying problem, which is the unjustified level of tuition and other costs to attend college. In round numbers, tuition for a year at X is $42K. At UC, it’s $12K for residents and $27K for non residents. At Ohio State, it’s $12K and $34K. Room and board adds about $13K at each.

For the number of students at UC and OSU, that’s a lot of money to give up. Does it get replaced in full by tax dollars? Doubtful. Universities should do some serious cost cutting to get tuition levels back to something reasonable. Can they afford all the high priced tenured professors who might only teach one or two classes at a time? Do they need all of the administrative positions, deans, assistant/associate deans, etc.? Probably not, but they won’t make those tough choices. They’ve been fat, dumb, and happy for far too long.

I remember a study a number of years ago that reported the only thing increasing faster than medical costs was college tuition. While it has slowed recently, it’s still too much.

If I remember correctly, my parents paid about $2,500 per year or semester, don’t remember which, back in the late 70s for me to attend X. According to an inflation calculator I found online, $1.00 in 1980 would be $3.16 today. If $2,500 is right, increasing only for inflation, tuition should be $7,900 or $15,800. Either is a far cry from the $42K that it is today.

Private schools like X would be in deep shit if public universities became free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk km
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    High school grads could already continue to live with their parents and save $30,000/year by going to the nearest community college. I’m not sure the net price of a Cincinnati State-level education dropping from $3,500 to $0 really changes many people’s minds.
    I’d have to guess that you’ve never been really poor? But the real Question would be how many would pay 30K (or even 10K) to get a Private University education when they could get a public university education for free?

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    In round numbers, tuition for a year at X is $42K. At UC, it’s $12K for residents and $27K for non residents. At Ohio State, it’s $12K and $34K.
    I’d have to guess that you’ve never been really poor? But the real Question would be how many would pay 30K (or even 10K) to get a Private University education when they could get a public university education for free?
    The parents who send their kids to X are paying what appears to be that now...$30K more than they would pay at UC or OSU.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    The parents who send their kids to X are paying what appears to be that now...$30K more than they would pay at UC or OSU.
    A year or so ago I read where 100% of the Xavier University freshman class had received assistance in some form, so I don’t think that the 42K quoted is the real number that is being paid. But irregardless do that, are you of the belief that offering all free public university tuition will have no effect on private school enrollment?

Or to put it another way.....if I offered you a free Chevy, would you still spend your money for a Caddy? And even if you would do that, do you think that there are enough other people that would do it that Caddy would stay in business?