Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I hope you're right.

I can't help but think this will turn out to be a much bigger mess with a much bigger fallout than what it needed to be. I'm not sure how long you've been around, but for about fifteen years I've been saying that the NCAA needs to get out in front of this and be willing to make concessions. Doing so would have been what was right for the players, but also from the completely selfish standpoint of the NCAA it would have kept an unwinnable case out of the courts.

But, they didn't. And how this ends up will likely be completely outside of their control.

It was stupid. They make over a billion dollars a year off of the NCAA Tournament. Some of that money could have been used to compensate, or at least supplement the compensation, of players in all sports all across the D1 landscape. It isn't unusual for coaches to make millions. Some of that could have been directed toward the players as well. Doing those things would have likely kept this out of the courts. But, the NCAA did none of those things. They kept doubling down on a "value" that has now been called out by the highest court in the land as being illegal. They could have made up their own NIL laws a long time ago that would have been fair to everyone, but they didn't, and now the courts are doing it for them. They could have addressed player compensation a long time ago and made rules that were fair to everyone, but they didn't, and now the courts are doing it for them, and will likely continue to do it for them.

There is some catharsis to it. They've been so stubborn and so stupid for so long that it is kind of nice to see this blow up in their face. But that catharsis is very short term. The sports and the NCAA itself could potentially digress and face issues that could have been avoided.
    Yea, the NCAA could've made this transition much more peacefully. But pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Rightfully getting their piece of the pie ? Tell that to the line worker at Ford or GM, they don't get what the execs do. Or the chemist at J&J who discovered the Covid vaccine. That discovery is the property of J&J. A standard $100 a week for all athletes would make way more sense than a couple players per team cashing in big time. I probably made millions of dollars for my company over the years. I got a salary and benefits in return. I knew the deal going in.Players get an education and lots of perks in return for their labor, and they get to audition for jobs that will provide them with life changing money for their families for generations. Sorry, I just don't understand the "oh the poor players" mindset.
    This whole rant gave some extreme Lucile Bluth vibes.

Ford and your company are not paying their workers and you $0.00 on the argument that people enjoy driving cars being made by volunteers. I also assume you use the value you are adding to your company as leverage to negotiate for raises and better benefits.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

The Xavier players are being paid about $50k/year right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The Xavier players are being paid about $50k/year right now.
    And that’s tax free!

I don't think the room/board is tax free.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    It is for athletic scholarships.

Junior
    Even if it were taxable, which I highly doubt, they're in a zero bracket. I think I would have preferred bball practice and traveling all over the country to my 5 day a week job in the Bursars Office and paying off college loans for 10 years.

If they had to actually pay for the tutors, what would that cost them?

If they had to pay for the private coaching they get, what would that cost them?

I’d they had to pay for the personal trainer they have, what would that cost them?

If they had to pay to join a private athletic club, what would that cost them?

Do regular students get the medical coverage, treatment, and doctors that the BB players get? (I really don’t know, regular students didn’t when I was there)

What is the worth of a trip to England/ Ireland during the summer to play exhibition basketball games?

Or how about the holiday tournaments in the Bahamas, Hawaii, Florida? Those are certainly things that a regular student doesn’t get paid for them.

I think it’s very important to take into consideration what are the extras that student athletes get that the regular student doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It is for athletic scholarships.
    This doesn't sound like it:
    An athletic scholarship is like any other scholarship, in that amounts used to pay for tuition and textbooks are tax-free. Amounts used to pay for room and board and other non-qualified expenses, however, are taxable.
    https://www.savingforcollege.com/art...rships-taxable

But if it's not more than the single exemption amount, I guess there wouldn't be a tax liability.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

It is
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White