Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    How bout this idea.

No athletic scholarships. ever.

Just make everyone a free agent and let schools bid on them. Open market baby! Pay em! And, let them sign endorsement deals and take cash from Boosters or whatever!

And then they pay tuition, like everyone else.

sounds fair, yeah?

Yeah, would never happen.

In all seriousness, I cannot get over the fact that there exists a quid pro quo in the current arrangement. A kid receives an offer of full tuition, room, board, fees and various other perks, in exchange for agreeing to play a game for a school. Offer also includes some limitations that come along with meeting the amateur criteria. Kid accepts offer. Nobody forced kid to take offer. Kid bitches about offer that 99% of other people would die for.

College Sports will be changing. Not for the better in my view. All self inflicted.
    If this is what the NCAA shows up to court with, then they're already dead. They will actually have to present a counter argument to them being in violation of anti-trust laws.
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-18-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    In all seriousness, I cannot get over the fact that there exists a quid pro quo in the current arrangement. A kid receives an offer of full tuition, room, board, fees and various other perks, in exchange for agreeing to play a game for a school. Offer also includes some limitations that come along with meeting the amateur criteria. Kid accepts offer. Nobody forced kid to take offer. Kid bitches about offer that 99% of other people would die for.
    I agree with you in basketball. There are enough other options if the player wants to find out his market value and skip college.

Football is the screwed up one. College football is a defacto minor league system for the NFL, without the benefit of being paid by the NFL. For example Sheldon Richardson played at Mizzou while I was there. He has made more money by the age of 30 then I will likely make in my entire career. While a gifted football player, that man had no business being on a college campus. The fact that Mizzou could keep him academically eligible was always shocking to me (then again, maybe not considering Mizzou's NCAA violations for having a tutor take player's classes).
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

The current transfer rules that allow the schools to stop financial aid even before the student transfers, NEED changing. I can understand it if the kid decides to voluntarily walk away from the team mid-term, but otherwise it’s wrong. As long as the kid is still a member of the team, and otherwise does nothing to violate their scholarship contract, they should still remain on scholarship.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Unfortunately "I like it the way it is" does not qualify as a legal defense against anti-trust violations. I know the NCAA likes things the way they are. I hope they understand that simply saying that isn't going to be good enough. And...I'm not so sure they do realize that.
    Congress as it's going to be configured has a good chance of passing this legislation once Biden and Harris take office. This will be long overdue for the students. (I also refuse to use the term student-athlete since the NCAA coined that term to screw them out of being paid a long time ago).

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Congress as it's going to be configured has a good chance of passing this legislation once Biden and Harris take office. This will be long overdue for the students. (I also refuse to use the term student-athlete since the NCAA coined that term to screw them out of being paid a long time ago).
    Agreed.

And the NCAA needs to...You know what??...I think this is just going to come down to the NCAA needing to do what they're told. When the Justice Department warns you that what you're doing might be illegal, it's probably time to at least consider stopping what you're doing!! Just sayin...

And to echo what X-Band said, it is LOOONG overdue.

The NCAA looks like it may delay the vote on Name, Image, and Likeness. This may sound strange on the surface, but I think what they're doing is two things...trying to restructure it to make absolutely certain they are no longer doing things that "may be illegal" in the eyes of the Justice Dept,...

AND...

Expressing to all the university presidents "Hey, we just got a letter from the Justice Dept!! So, this new NIL legislation that you're voting on....VOTE YES!!!!"
    Last edited by xubrew; 01-10-2021 at 08:11 AM.

I'm really torn on this issue and I have a really hard time understanding how schools (like X) who need and rely upon the revenue (from BBall) to run the University deal with this.

I think its only going to further distance the elite programs from everyone else.

We will see how it plays out.......should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I'm really torn on this issue and I have a really hard time understanding how schools (like X) who need and rely upon the revenue (from BBall) to run the University deal with this.

I think its only going to further distance the elite programs from everyone else.

We will see how it plays out.......should be interesting.
    I'm also a little worried about this, but only a little. I was far more worried about it when the Power Five became the Power Five and were basically allowed to create their own rules and legislation outside of the the rest of NCAA. I was also worried that the cost of living might also widen the gap even though I was for it. But, neither of those things really changed the landscape all that much. The Big East looks like a P5 conference in basketball even though it isn't. Last year we had Dayton, San Diego State, Gonzaga, Creighton, and Villanova all finish the season ranked in the top ten. None are P5 schools. That's half the damn top ten!! So, I might be a little naive because I was so worried before and nothing happened, but I don't think it'll effect the competitive balance all that much. Basketball tends to run on basketball and not football money. Most football money tends to go toward football, and even in football the gap doesn't seem to be any bigger. Granted, it doesn't seem all that much smaller either, but at least there are a few non-P5 football teams are in the national psyche as being national programs.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm also a little worried about this, but only a little. I was far more worried about it when the Power Five became the Power Five and were basically allowed to create their own rules and legislation outside of the the rest of NCAA. I was also worried that the cost of living might also widen the gap even though I was for it. But, neither of those things really changed the landscape all that much. The Big East looks like a P5 conference in basketball even though it isn't. Last year we had Dayton, San Diego State, Gonzaga, Creighton, and Villanova all finish the season ranked in the top ten. None are P5 schools. That's half the damn top ten!! So, I might be a little naive because I was so worried before and nothing happened, but I don't think it'll effect the competitive balance all that much. Basketball tends to run on basketball and not football money. Most football money tends to go toward football, and even in football the gap doesn't seem to be any bigger. Granted, it doesn't seem all that much smaller either, but at least there are a few non-P5 football teams are in the national psyche as being national programs.
    Will be interesting to see how they treat scholarships in the way of "compensation".

How will mid tier MAC schools deal with this?

I think the fallout could be massive. Many of these schools are already struggling to keep their heads above water. Title 9 implications will rear their ugly heads. Hell, UC's athletic dept. is a the red right now.

Is anyone following this? I can’t really tell how it’s going from a legal point of view, but from my layman’s perspective I wouldn’t say it’s going well for the NCAA.