Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    This man gets it.
    Drew, do you remember when you said THIS .... "I am a simple man. I believe in the free market, I think monopolies are a danger to the free market." in post #151?

So, you have thoroughly confused me. Monopolies arise in a "free market" that has no rules or regulations. You seem to be against Monopolies. Which means you are in favor of rules and regulations. Do I have that right?

Then someone else suggests that the presence of "law" in a free market essentially undermines the concept of a free market. And you agree with that.

So, which is it?

Or maybe you just want players to be paid so it's "fair" and you are willing to say anything (including contradicting yourself) to further that agenda.

I dont quite get it.

I really do think that the early indications of how this will work out have served to mock the whole concept.

The IDEA behind this is to allow the "student athletes" (in quotes for a reason) to get some compensation for being part of a money making endeavor, even though the value of a full scholarship (with perks) is often a substantial value....but nevermind that.

So the first NIL deal goes to .......some hot twin girls playing mid-major womens BBall. Finally some JUSTICE! Laughable.

Now, a Miami booster straight up will offer $500 cash monthly to every player (no merit or judgement involved at all) on the football team as an "opening bid" against FSU and Florida. You know that Florida and FSU will "raise" that bet right?

Will "boosters" be allowed in home visits to kids? Can they fly them out to their mansions and wine and dine them and give them an NIL offer before they sign (contingent on signing with the school). Is that "free market" enough? With there be recruiting windows, or can this just occur "willy nilly" to entice recruits?

This is already out of hand. This wont wind up being positive for 95% of college atheletes. But it will be GREAT for 5%.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I really do think that the early indications of how this will work out have served to mock the whole concept.

The IDEA behind this is to allow the "student athletes" (in quotes for a reason) to get some compensation for being part of a money making endeavor, even though the value of a full scholarship (with perks) is often a substantial value....but nevermind that.

So the first NIL deal goes to .......some hot twin girls playing mid-major womens BBall. Finally some JUSTICE! Laughable.

Now, a Miami booster straight up will offer $500 cash monthly to every player (no merit or judgement involved at all) on the football team as an "opening bid" against FSU and Florida. You know that Florida and FSU will "raise" that bet right?

Will "boosters" be allowed in home visits to kids? Can they fly them out to their mansions and wine and dine them and give them an NIL offer before they sign (contingent on signing with the school). Is that "free market" enough? With there be recruiting windows, or can this just occur "willy nilly" to entice recruits?

This is already out of hand. This wont wind up being positive for 95% of college atheletes. But it will be GREAT for 5%.

Well done.
    Honestly, this is "right" for the women's basketball players. In no way is their endorsement deal a work around for schools not being allowed to pay their athletes. This is the way NIL should work. If a college athlete gets famous on TikTok or Twitch or whatever, they should be able to benefit from that just like a regular person would. Almost none of the profitability of the Cavinder twins, or of LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne, has anything to do with their athletic abilities.

The Miami booster situation is what makes this thing a joke. From what I understand, the NCAA was trying to work with Congress to make the former legal and the latter illegal but ran out of time before state laws went into effect. So they threw up their hands and said "we give up, do whatever you want".

I saw an estimate this morning that when you add up all the damages and legal fees that the NCAA spent on a case that was not even close to being winnable, the total bill will be well over $300 million.

I would like to say that I believe giving an average of $1 million to each of the 358 D1 institutions to be used for student-athlete benefits and compensation would have been money that was much better spent. It would have been good for the players, and the NCAA wouldn't have ended up seemingly losing complete control.

Anyway....nicely done, NCAA! They claimed they were afraid that making any sort of concessions would ruin college athletics. Well, by NOT making any concessions, I think they just ruined it way way way way more.
    Last edited by xubrew; 08-04-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

yawn.

This player compensation issue was going to ruin college sports no matter what. At least the NCAA put up a fight. You are acting like things would just be "normal" if the NCAA didn't put up a fight. That's your agenda talking....

Nick Saban is openly talking about how his QB (who has never taken a snap) is already approaching 1M in NIL Money. Why is that any of his business? Oh, that's right. He's recruiting.

I dont know what will happen to college sports in the next few years. But I dont expect it to be recognizable.

I'm back to this idea.....no scholarships. Hell, the players and NIL advocates act like they dont have any value anyway. Take away the scholarships and have players just earn some NIL money and pay for school like the rest of the students.

Freshman

I'm back to this idea.....no scholarships. Hell, the players and NIL advocates act like they dont have any value anyway. Take away the scholarships and have players just earn some NIL money and pay for school like the rest of the students.

That’s one approach. Here’s another one: create an organization with bylaws that can withstand scrutiny and legal challenges. All colleges are welcome to join this organization but in doing so they agree to abide by all rules and regulations as set forth by the organization. Member schools provide scholarships (where applicable) and other modest benefits to student/athletes who want to participate in this model. Schools can only schedule and play other schools that are members of this organization. It’s called college sports and the participants are referred to as amateurs. I suspect after a year or two of the shitshow that has begun the list of applicants to this new organization will be lengthy and then we can watch this semi-pro league die a slow death.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    That’s one approach. Here’s another one: create an organization with bylaws that can withstand scrutiny and legal challenges. All colleges are welcome to join this organization but in doing so they agree to abide by all rules and regulations as set forth by the organization. Member schools provide scholarships (where applicable) and other modest benefits to student/athletes who want to participate in this model. Schools can only schedule and play other schools that are members of this organization. It’s called college sports and the participants are referred to as amateurs. I suspect after a year or two of the shitshow that has begun the list of applicants to this new organization will be lengthy and then we can watch this semi-pro league die a slow death.
    so....replace the NCAA with the NCAA?

Freshman
    so....replace the NCAA with the NCAA?
    Precisely. I think it will ultimately go full circle.

yawn.

This player compensation issue was going to ruin college sports no matter what. At least the NCAA put up a fight. You are acting like things would just be "normal" if the NCAA didn't put up a fight. That's your agenda talking....

Nick Saban is openly talking about how his QB (who has never taken a snap) is already approaching 1M in NIL Money. Why is that any of his business? Oh, that's right. He's recruiting.

I dont know what will happen to college sports in the next few years. But I dont expect it to be recognizable.

My agenda for about the last ten years was the (now futile) hope that the NCAA would not be so stubborn about refusing to change their altitude, and to see that if they didn't that they'd crash into a mountain. My agenda had been dying a slow death for years, and was pretty much totally dead back in December.

I'm not really acting like things would be normal. The whole time I was saying the norm needed to change. I am acting like the NCAA would not have just lost over $300 million due to the courts had they been proactive about keeping it out of the courts in the first place.

Spending $2000 to avoid having to pay $1000 is a pretty stubborn stance, but with that being said I still think there are times when you need to do that. This was NOT one of those times. They've now lost way more money and way more control than what they probably needed to. It wasn't winnable. Not even close. Even people who weren't in favor of player compensation had to see that the NCAA had no legal argument, and that it was all a complete waste, and that they spent a lot more and lost a lot more than what they had to.

I do agree with one thing. I don't know what college sports will look like, but it probably won't be recognizable, and there will probably be a much bigger competitive imbalance than what we already have. As someone who loves the non-power leagues, I really do hate to see that. They could have avoided being clobbered this badly. They really could have. I feel that it was stupid to decide to die on that hill when they didn't have to. Yes, there would have been changes, but probably not quite this drastic, and certainly not this expensive.

...and the Alabama quarterback is an NIL issue. That's got nothing to do with this.
    Last edited by xubrew; 08-04-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post

...and the Alabama quarterback is an NIL issue. That's got nothing to do with this.
    huh? The NIL court case was the whole thing you are discussing. Am I missing something?

College sport is about to change. It will not resemble what we have come to know. If the NCAA would have "given up" or whatever you suggest and just have allowed the players to make money or get paid or whatever, we'd still be right here.

I would like college sports to be the way it has been. I'm against changing sports as we know it. If the NIL issue was the catalyst of the change that I dont want, then I guess I'm against the NIL issue.

The fact is, nobody forced anyone to be a college athlete. They are compensated by way of a valuable scholarship, and of the course the education that comes along with it that has a long term value that can FAR exceed any NIL money.

But whatever. Whiners think it's not fair that the NCAA makes money while they get "nothing."

Wait till these guys get a shoe deal and have to come to grips that they get paid money on the backs of the Chinese sweatshop workers.

How ironic will THAT be?