Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

Free year of eligibility/Roster management

I brought this up in the shootout thread and it got some discussion and someone suggested maybe it needed its own thread and I agree.

Don't want to shootout thread to be overtaken.

I think this year being basically a free year for every player is great but also complex. I know we are just starting this season so no real reason to think about next or beyond yet but I am sure Steele and staff have thought of it as it relates to roster management.

Not that this would or should happen but essentially every single player who wanted to come back next year and that Steele wanted back could come back. That is kind of crazy. I think we have some who will take advantage and others, like Scruggs, who I am sure will be excited to move on professionally and make some money.

I don't follow recruiting closely so I don't know who or how many we have coming in next year but I am sure Steele has a good idea on who he thinks will stay for that extra year and who wont and is planning accordingly. Will Nate Johnson stay? Griffin? Carter? Who knows?

Also for Steele to consider as years move on is which younger guys will end up staying for that 5th year. Usually the really talented players are probably ready to go make some money in whatever professional league by the end of 4 years, sometimes 3, but will be interesting to see.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I brought this up in the shootout thread and it got some discussion and someone suggested maybe it needed its own thread and I agree.

Don't want to shootout thread to be overtaken.

I think this year being basically a free year for every player is great but also complex. I know we are just starting this season so no real reason to think about next or beyond yet but I am sure Steele and staff have thought of it as it relates to roster management.

Not that this would or should happen but essentially every single player who wanted to come back next year and that Steele wanted back could come back. That is kind of crazy. I think we have some who will take advantage and others, like Scruggs, who I am sure will be excited to move on professionally and make some money.

I don't follow recruiting closely so I don't know who or how many we have coming in next year but I am sure Steele has a good idea on who he thinks will stay for that extra year and who wont and is planning accordingly. Will Nate Johnson stay? Griffin? Carter? Who knows?

Also for Steele to consider as years move on is which younger guys will end up staying for that 5th year. Usually the really talented players are probably ready to go make some money in whatever professional league by the end of 4 years, sometimes 3, but will be interesting to see.
    I would imagine Carter and Scruggs would move on, Johnson maybe and I think Griffin will come back. Have two guys coming in and have no idea if Ramsey will ever play. There is always a chance someone transfers. I think next year they will use 12 scholarships but can use much more if everyone wanted to come back, due to the free year and not having those count against the usual limit.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I would imagine Carter and Scruggs would move on, Johnson maybe and I think Griffin will come back. Have two guys coming in and have no idea if Ramsey will ever play. There is always a chance someone transfers. I think next year they will use 12 scholarships but can use much more if everyone wanted to come back, due to the free year and not having those count against the usual limit.
    Wait are you saying that the guys who come back for the extra year don't count against the scholarship limit? Are you sure about that? Is it only the guys coming back for the "extra year" who otherwise wouldn't have been able to come back that dont count against it or everyone? Whats the limit you can have? Are guys allowed to transfer to use this extra year or can they only use it at the school they played for this year?

If it is true they don't count against the scholarship limit that makes the roster much easier to manage. Not that you still dont have to manage things but def easier.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Wait are you saying that the guys who come back for the extra year don't count against the scholarship limit? Are you sure about that? Is it only the guys coming back for the "extra year" who otherwise wouldn't have been able to come back that dont count against it or everyone? Whats the limit you can have? Are guys allowed to transfer to use this extra year or can they only use it at the school they played for this year?

If it is true they don't count against the scholarship limit that makes the roster much easier to manage. Not that you still dont have to manage things but def easier.
    Yes I believe they are relaxing the limits for one year only and then you need to get back to the limit. Coaches will have to be strategic in who they allow to return. Since Xavier only has two guys coming in, they should be good to bring in three or four for the 22 class.

X has a 6-7 wing and a 6-10 power forward/center coming in next year.

Something to consider is that EVERYONE gets an extra year of eligibility. This year doesn’t count against anyone’s 4 years. So there will be an effect on the rosters for many years to come, not just next year. There’s also about a 99% certitude that the NCAA is going to start allowing ALL players to transfer 1X in there college years, and not have to sit out for a year. While I’m not crazy about that rule change, it’s something every coach is going to have to take into consideration when recruiting freshman. I’d think that everyone of them will keep at least on scholarship free to use on a transfer should a top player fall into their laps.

I see Scruggs, Carter, and Johnson moving on. I think that between Griffin and Stanley, one stays and one goes. Possible that one of the young guards/wings decides to transfer out, but I hope not. If 4 players leave and 2 freshman come in, that still leaves X with flexibility to snare a top transfer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    X has a 6-7 wing and a 6-10 power forward/center coming in next year.

Something to consider is that EVERYONE gets an extra year of eligibility. This year doesn’t count against anyone’s 4 years. So there will be an effect on the rosters for many years to come, not just next year. There’s also about a 99% certitude that the NCAA is going to start allowing ALL players to transfer 1X in there college years, and not have to sit out for a year. While I’m not crazy about that rule change, it’s something every coach is going to have to take into consideration when recruiting freshman. I’d think that everyone of them will keep at least on scholarship free to use on a transfer should a top player fall into their laps.

I see Scruggs, Carter, and Johnson moving on. I think that between Griffin and Stanley, one stays and one goes. Possible that one of the young guards/wings decides to transfer out, but I hope not. If 4 players leave and 2 freshman come in, that still leaves X with flexibility to snare a top transfer or two.
    I love the transfer rule change. You are right that is definitely something coaches will have to plan for.

I am guessing you only think Stanley might go if he ends up becoming eligible this year after the NCAA considers that "make all transfers eligible" recommendation that was made. Otherwise would be weird for him to transfer here then never play.

With all those players/students getting another year, who pays for their new scholarship, room, food, tuition and books?

I suspect some colleges/universities are struggling financially with students staying closer to home during covid 19.

Life is expensive, who pays the tab?

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    With all those players/students getting another year, who pays for their new scholarship, room, food, tuition and books?

I suspect some colleges/universities are struggling financially with students staying closer to home during covid 19.

Life is expensive, who pays the tab?
    I would think that in terms of the budget for a big time basketball program those numbers are probably not that significant. I don't know for sure, though.

This change will make things very interesting. I imagine Scruggs will be gone, but not sure who else.
    Eat Donuts!

There are always going to be players that leave, the question will be what then? Do you bring in more players, or do you stand pat? I doubt that many programs will have any more players on their rosters next year, than they do this year. Even though a player MAY be eligible to return, that doesn’t mean they will or that if they do, that they will be on scholarship.

Let’s say a school has a senior that wants to return, but he’s been a backup and hasn’t been a big contributor. The coach may say, “Sure, you can come back. But I don’t have a scholarship for you because it’s not in the budget.” But the player will then have the option to possibly transfer to another school and play right away, that will give them a scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    There are always going to be players that leave, the question will be what then? Do you bring in more players, or do you stand pat? I doubt that many programs will have any more players on their rosters next year, than they do this year. Even though a player MAY be eligible to return, that doesn’t mean they will or that if they do, that they will be on scholarship.

Let’s say a school has a senior that wants to return, but he’s been a backup and hasn’t been a big contributor. The coach may say, “Sure, you can come back. But I don’t have a scholarship for you because it’s not in the budget.” But the player will then have the option to possibly transfer to another school and play right away, that will give them a scholarship.
    Are we 100% positive that this extra year can be used at a school other than the one you were at for the "free" year? I seem to feel like I remember that wasn't allowed. I could be wrong though.