Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Considering the boos, the empty seats, and the murmuring in the Cintas that was occurring on Saturday, I’m pretty sure Christopher got the message.

Long way to go but if this team doesn’t make the tourney, and Steele is retained, that would be a huge financial mistake in my opinion. People are going to check out. I’m not even sure a limp into the tourney is going to help. Seeing THAT in person was extremely eye opening, I’m not sure it can be fixed.

Maybe the fans and the team were bored since it was DePaul and things will look a lot different when I go back in a few weeks, but I kind of doubt it.
    Are you sure he got it or is getting the message? When I went to the Villanova game at the Cintas, the talk was the Travis was going to get an extension. Heard that from multiple season ticket holders. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. Travis will be here for a good while in my opinion.

Steele, Christopher, Mecurio, and other X staff do get and reply to emails. We all want X bball to be better. Enough of the learning curve, and excuses.

Remember postgame, Steele said this X team will be a lot better. We will see Wednesday if actions speak louder than words.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Are you sure he got it or is getting the message? When I went to the Villanova game at the Cintas, the talk was the Travis was going to get an extension. Heard that from multiple season ticket holders. Maybe that will change but I doubt it. Travis will be here for a good while in my opinion.
    Considering Christopher’s track record I wouldn’t expect him to make a good decision on anything related to revenue generating sports.

With that said, Villanova was a long time ago. The team had lost 2 games before that game
    Last edited by Xville; 02-07-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post

Maybe the fans and the team were bored since it was DePaul and things will look a lot different when I go back in a few weeks, but I kind of doubt it.
    Being DePaul was the bigger factor. Xavier fans are spoiled and rightfully so, playing DePaul at noon on Saturday is as boring as any game. The groan is more built upon itself game after game, for sure. But if it was a top team in conference it’s crowded and fans are still into it

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Remember postgame, Steele said this X team will be a lot better. We will see Wednesday if actions speak louder than words.
    Feb 9th to end of game feb 23rd I think determines where this goes. Do our guys sack up these next five games, or wilt. Here’s the thing, they could play better and still come out of it 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    How are we going to get better? Did we just get a couple guys who could drive past their defenders? Did we get a couple other guys who could shoot 3's? How about a post presence on the defensive end? I have low expectations for the rest of the season that I hope I'm wrong about. Unfortunately, we're trending down quickly which is something we've seen in the past.
    "This [basketball] is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators." - Dick Vertleib

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by sgarcia View Post
    How are we going to get better? Did we just get a couple guys who could drive past their defenders? Did we get a couple other guys who could shoot 3's? How about a post presence on the defensive end? I have low expectations for the rest of the season that I hope I'm wrong about. Unfortunately, we're trending down quickly which is something we've seen in the past.
    We get better by finding the best shot for Xavier!

All-Conference
    I rarely, if ever, listen to the weekly coach's show. I was in the car tonight and ran across it. It was a little awkward, to be honest.

Byron was trying to dip a little deeper on how our offense operates, and why we can't seem to find the best shot for the best shooters. You could tell he was trying to dig, but also wanted to stay relatively diplomatic at the same time. Based on his questioning, I think he thinks much the same way most of us on here do - why do we shoot so many quick shots, why can't we get good looks for our best shooters, and why are we missing so many bunnies. And to his credit, he asked those questions in his round about way.

Steele gave some decent insight (not anything we don't know), but also had a sense of "yeah, we're telling these guys the same thing and they're just not making the right decisions". Toeing the line between blame and reasoning. At least that's how I took it. It wasn't good or bad, it was just kind of strange the interaction between the three of them.

I also remember Mack in these situations, and he could really wow you with these answers on the expertise of Xs and Os, and you got a glimpse of his depth of basketball acumen. Not saying Steele doesn't have that, but Steele did nothing to wow you with his answers. Basically, it was the kind of talk we type on here.

And another thing, never let audience members ask questions - I was in the car and felt uneasy for Steele and Byron/Joe. Fans are dumb.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-07-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Supporting Member
    Anyone with any kind of basketball knowledge at all, or played the game at some level can tell that Steele doesn’t have a good grasp of X’s and O’s. I know some on here may believe that’s nonsense but to those I would ask to please watch off the ball on Wednesday and tell me what “system” is actually being run. Hint: there isn’t one. I see more movement off the ball in my five year old’s game and they are taught to stand on an x and not move.