Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Every time I see this thread pop up, I think of Terrell Owen's " that's my quarterback" line while he was weeping.
    After being upset by my Giants and Eli "future hall of famer" Manning.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I've heard a couple times now, that Steele has sounded a little like Cronin lite. I've not heard it that way. I think he is more in the Miller/Mack mode of calling it like he sees it ("he didn't play well down the stretch" or "he made some bad decisions"). I guess it's a fine line, but Mick always seemed to get emotional/defensive in throwing his players under a bus. Miller/Mack/Steele have always struck me as calm and matter of fact about it. Maybe it is blue colored glasses that make it feel different to me, but when I hear Mick complain it always sounded like...."well we've been working on it in practice day after day, I don't know why the F he hasn't figured it out." Steele has stuck me as "he didn't do well tonight, and it's a process. For us to do well, he's going to have to get it." I don't know, maybe the difference is Cronin always seemed exasperated and petulant. Steele seems calm and understanding. Maybe they say the same shit, though. IDK.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

I don't know. I always appreciated Skip's philosophy about making public comments. When we win it's all about the players. When we lose, the coaches need to do better. That was Skip.

Players should and absolutely need to be held accountable...behind closed doors.

Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I don't know. I always appreciated Skip's philosophy about making public comments. When we win it's all about the players. When we lose, the coaches need to do better. That was Skip.

Players should and absolutely need to be held accountable...behind closed doors.

Maybe I'm just old and set in my ways.
    That was one of the many things I didn’t like about Huggs. If I was in the car and a UC post game show was on, I’d listen and knew if they lost, he was going to throw his players under the bus and then back over them. It was always their fault and never his fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Maybe I hear it differently, but it seems to me that Steele praises his players as much, if not more than, as he criticizes them. He’s always talking about how such and such a player is a warrior, or how such and such a player works harder than anyone, etc.

Junior
    Not so much this year- but I definitely thought he sounded like Mick the last two years.

There was a lot more to criticize last year and not as many of 'his player'.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Not so much this year- but I definitely thought he sounded like Mick the last two years.
    That's because we played like a shitty Mick team the last two years...

Steele was in a difficult position of having new tricks he was trying to teach old dogs. A few of those old dogs were up for learning and others were like “That’s alright coach—we’re good - we know what we are doing.” The result is chaos and a team that is not on the same page and a coach left feeling like he has to do something more or risk losing his job. At that point, some coaches believe they are only left with the option of calling players out. Though, some of what happened last year Steele needed to just own and learn from to help him make better decisions across the board- including how he handles things with the media.

Personally, I like the idea of giving praise to the team as a whole as well as those individual players who listened and played their hardest and smartest when the team wins. When the team loses or plays poorly, I feel a coach should mention specific things he could have done better as a coach and then point out specific things that were not executed well on the court (but without calling out specific players). Those players will know the coach is taking about them without feeling like they got thrown under the bus.

I am liking the chemistry of this year’s team and how it matches what Steele wished last year’s team could have been: Good at listening, good at shooting, and good at hustling, good at sharing the ball.
    Last edited by IM4X; 12-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Steele was in a difficult position of having new tricks he was trying to teach old dogs. A few of those old dogs were up for learning and others were like “That’s alright coach—we’re good - we know what we are doing.” The result is chaos and a team that is not on the same page and a coach left feeling like he has to do something more or risk losing his job. At that point, some coaches believe they are only left with the option of calling players out. Though, some of what happened last year Steele needed to just own and learn from to help him make better decisions across the board- including how he handles things with the media.

Personally, I like the idea of giving praise to the team as a whole as well as those individual players who listened and played their hardest and smartest when the team wins. When the team loses or plays poorly, I feel a coach should mention specific things he could have done better as a coach and then point out specific things that were not executed well on the court (but without calling out specific players). Those players will know the coach is taking about them without feeling like they got thrown under the bus.

I am liking the chemistry of this year’s team and how it matches what Steele wished last year’s team could have been: Good at listening, good at shooting, and good at hustling, good at sharing the ball.
    Good take, reps. We are seeing a turning of the page with the change in personnel.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."