Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Thanks Hett!
    Did you actually look at the stats he shared. OREB”s last year of 11.9 were as good or better than any year since 2011, kind of blows up the point you were trying to make. But keep showing your dislike of Steele is deeper than your knowledge of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Did you actually look at the stats he shared. OREB”s last year of 11.9 were as good or better than any year since 2011, kind of blows up the point you were trying to make. But keep showing your dislike of Steele is deeper than your knowledge of the game.
    I think MOR was literally just thanking me for providing the stats that led to the answer to his question.

You may be a little jumpy when it comes to defending Steele????

Supporting Member
    Not at all, clearly Steele has a lot to prove but the last 2 years we simply did not have well constructed teams given the way the game is played today. This year and next are the key for Steele.

Uh, speaking of early observations, has anyone else taken notice of how stacked Marquette is this year? Woj has some serious talent at his disposal, it'll be interesting to see how they fair in-conference by the time it's all said and done. They're a good looking team, IMO.

Not at all, clearly Steele has a lot to prove but the last 2 years we simply did not have well constructed teams given the way the game is played today. This year and next are the key for Steele.
    Amen! Let’s not be the Browns, let’s give guys a chance. We need to build the roster, and the coach, quite frankly, is growing into the job. I’m OK with that. Jay Wright today is better than the Jay Wright from 10-15 years ago. Would you want to have dumped him? Get over it today, let’s see how it goes.

Belichick got canned by the Browns, for God’s sake! Give guys a chance. I like our direction in terms of talent, let’s see it play out. Geez!
    Last edited by xu82; 12-04-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Agreed. The roster lacked quality guards in an era where guard play has become most important. He now has a much deeper pool of talent there, but it is for the most part young and unproven talent. it appears that Tandy has the shooting skill needed to be very good, but still is inexperienced and not great defensively. Odom appears to be the real deal in many ways, but needs to develop his outside shooting. Jones and Wilcher are still unknowns, and are still just freshman with no game experience yet. While Kunkel comes to X with a great reputation as a quality outside shooter, how about the rest of his game? We don't know yet. Johnson looks really good in the early tests, but is only here for a year. Still, this is a much deeper and better quality group than X has had for the last 2 years. Will be fun to watch them develop.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    By the way, Bryan Griffin, who will remain named as such needs to take his "grown ass man" frame and do something with it.

2.0 Free Throw attempts per 40 minutes.

ahem, Snipe?
    I will give you a pass, because you did reference the grown ass man.

I like your analysis. I also had a feeling that something is wrong with the number of free throws that we are drawing.

Free throws are awesome, and fouls are awesome too. You can get some of these punks out of the game, espescially if we can have a team that goes a legitimate 10 deep. Then the game is to get those short bench teams in trouble. We don't go at players who have a foul to get them to two and get them on the bench either. That is a tried and true tactic. I remember the senior Stanley Burrell going after the Freshman sensation at Indiana and taking him out of the first half with his second foul. He was clapping when he drew that foul because he knew their secret weapon was gonna ride the pine. We used to use this quite effectively, and it seems like a lost art.

MOR is a grumpy ass, and he might not have it all right, but something has changed. Your analysis points the same way. We used to be more effective drawing fouls and gettting to the line, and that seems like a stronger and sounder strategy. I like your numbers MHET

As for our young point guard, I wouldn't mind if he was fouling out of games along with drawing a lot more fouls. Use that explosivness and get it done. Get them in foul trouble or get in trouble a bit trying and learn from your mistakes. We need people slashing to the hoop, getting fouled or dishing off and people taking it to the rack with a passion. We need to be at the line more. We have shooters that can knock down free throws, but they have to get to the line.

I think you are brilliant.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Walk-On
    This is a GREAT post thank you. My only question on the rebounding is the rebounding margin. I believe X's biggest challenge is on the interior. Part of that is the offense that Steele has chosen with four in but X has no answers for a true big. Hopeful that Stanley can play.

Was thinking about this thread today late in the game when we were driving the lane and picking up fouls and getting them in foul trouble. It really needs to be a strength that we concentrate on. Odom came alive down the stretch and made some big plays just taking it to the hoop. Loved it.

Getting back to basics like this is needed.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

This roster is DEEP and talented!