• Thad Matta

1 4.17%
  • Up and Comer

13 54.17%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The apples to apples comparison at Winthrop is pretty clear. I happen to like Marshall, but he's obviously considered an abrasive personality. No way Xavier would hire him after what went down at Wichita State. He'd be more likely to go back to Winthrop if Kelsey took a different job.
    Yep,

I may have worded that wrong- Marshall is at the very bottom of my list followed by Kelsey.

If there is a coaching search, I hope the hiring committee is good enough to not select, or even spend five seconds considering, any of these people (minus maybe Kelsey).

Thad Matta is a decent guy, but he's retired. Kelsey is a good guy as well. As for everyone else is...well...in the spirit of the Holiday Season let me put it this way. If Clarence the Angel came down and showed these guys an alternate universe where they could see what the world would be like without him the way he did George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life, what we'd see is a world that actually would have been far better off without them!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Why do so many people not like Pat? The guys is winning consistently at Winthrop. Local
    Guy and played at X.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

He's been pretty good at Winthrop. Not great. I think he should have gotten a promotion from Winthrop to try to prove himself at a higher level at some point. Maybe something like, I don't know, UMass?

But there's no way he's earned a job like Xavier.

I happen to like Marshall, .
    Which one?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

He's been pretty good at Winthrop. Not great. I think he should have gotten a promotion from Winthrop to try to prove himself at a higher level at some point. Maybe something like, I don't know, UMass?

But there's no way he's earned a job like Xavier.
    I kind of agree with this.

As far as not going to UMass, I think going there could have been a good move, but I also think that not going there wasn't necessarily a bad move. People in sports (or really in anything) that ware trying to get in the door kinda have to take what they can get. But, once they're in the door, if they're content then it's okay to be picky and wait for a situation that they really feel good about. And, it's okay to look at jobs and then say no if it's not what they want. I think a lot of "up and coming" coaches are so eager to "move up" that they make a move when they would have been better off staying and waiting a little longer. That's IF they're in a decent situation, which I think Winthrop is.

But, as far as Xavier's next coach, Xavier is one of the better coaching jobs in the country. I'm not going to say it's the best, but it's pretty much as good as it can be without being the best. You're paid well, you're given what you need to win, your brand is strong, and the fans are passionate but not totally insane. Xavier really doesn't have to worry about "FINDING" a good coach anymore. All they need to do is stand still, because if/when that job ever opens, A LOT of good coaches will come running to them.

So, it's not that I don't like Pat Kelsey. I do. I just don't think he'd be as good as a lot of other coaches that would be interested.
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Considering this was started by someone on my Ignore list, I will do likewise for this poll.

Might be the dumbest poll, with the worst list of options, in the history of this board.

And that is saying something...
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

1. This is a very young team.
    2. We are only 4 games into the season.
    3. While some games have been objectively ugly, X has not lost yet.
    4. Other more seasoned X teams that ended up doing well have looked questionable at the beginning of the season.
    5. Steele knows his team is not playing great. I think we should see how he and this team respond.
    Last edited by IM4X; 12-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I kind of agree with this.

As far as not going to UMass, I think going there could have been a good move, but I also think that not going there wasn't necessarily a bad move. People in sports (or really in anything) that ware trying to get in the door kinda have to take what they can get. But, once they're in the door, if they're content then it's okay to be picky and wait for a situation that they really feel good about. And, it's okay to look at jobs and then say no if it's not what they want. I think a lot of "up and coming" coaches are so eager to "move up" that they make a move when they would have been better off staying and waiting a little longer. That's IF they're in a decent situation, which I think Winthrop is.

I don't think there was an issue with him not going to UMass it was with him not going to UMass AFTER accepting the UMass job.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17