Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootout Time

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    3pm, up against the NFL, Brilliant programming. Kind of a , "yeah, we'll show it because the contract says we have to" move.
    It seems that for the past several years the Shootout has been scheduled at a time that was totally moronic. Playing it on the first Saturday in December is a bad idea because that's when all the conference championship football games are, and it's usually a busy day for college basketball as well. Last year the game was actually going on while UC's football team was playing against Memphis for a chance to go to a NY6 Bowl. Now it's up against NFL football on what I'm assuming is a crucial day late in the season (I don't watch the NFL, so...). This game does have the ability to move the needle nationally, but only a little bit. It needs its own spotlight. If you put it up against big time college football championship games or the NFL, it will get buried. Why not play it at..I don't know...literally ANY OTHER WEEKEND!!!

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Whoever the UC coach is screws goats.

Is UC any good?
    Probably not. But...maybe. Brannen is a good coach, especially when he has the players he wants for his system. UC hasn't had run anything like what he wants to do for the past 40 years or so. While they have a lot of new players, they may be the types of players that Brannen can use for his system in a way that's better than what he had last year. I don't think they're quite there yet, but they may end up being better than what people think.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

New CDC reduction of quarantine time....could help the bench for the game. :D
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

I miss the hate.

Escalate the hate (honestly, I don't know who plays for them anymore...)

All-Conference
    We have a game tonight - once it hits 00:00, then the hate escalates.

And always remember to do your part to escalate the hate.

The game is on at a moronic time because it's on ESPN and they have finally realized that Clifton Community College is a mid-major.

And last year, why the hell would Fox care about what was really a meaningless mid-major football game being played by Clifton? They could care less.
    Borecat football measures zero on the rating scale. Nobody outside of their little bubble cares a lick.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    The game is on at a moronic time because it's on ESPN and they have finally realized that Clifton Community College is a mid-major.

And last year, why the hell would Fox care about what was really a meaningless mid-major football game being played by Clifton? They could care less.
    Borecat football measures zero on the rating scale. Nobody outside of their little bubble cares a lick.
    Based on when it was on, what it was on, and the overall number of viewers I think it was painfully obvious that The Shootout was the game that Fox didn't really care about. That's pretty much what my complaint is. No one cares, and they should, because it's a game that could have/would have national appeal.
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-02-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Seriously, though...

What the hell happened to The Shootout?? It used to be a big deal. There was a narrative that it was one of the biggest rivalries in all of college basketball. I always kinda thought that was overstating it a little bit, but it was at least a big enough rivalry to garner that kind of statement and have people not think it was ridiculous. It wasn't THAT long ago when the game was on the Fox flagship network, it got over a million viewers, and ended up being one of the most viewed college basketball games of that month. Now, it's buried on one of the busiest college sports days of the year (or I guess this year, on the following day during peak NFL viewership), the viewership is way down, and no one cares.

What the hell happened to it??

I'm not saying it needs a whole week of national coverage dedicated to it like Duke v UNC seems to get, but doesn't it at least deserve a time slot on a flagship network at a time when people will actually watch it??
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-02-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Seriously, though...

What the hell happened to The Shootout?? It used to be a big deal. There was a narrative that it was one of the biggest rivalries in all of college basketball. I always kinda thought that was overstating it a little bit, but it was at least a big enough rivalry to garner that kind of statement and have people not think it was ridiculous. It wasn't THAT long ago when the game was on the Fox flagship network, it got over a million viewers, and ended up being one of the most viewed college basketball games of that month. Now, it's buried on one of the busiest college sports days of the year (or I guess this year, on the following day during peak NFL viewership), the viewership is way down, and no one cares.

What the hell happened to it??

I'm not saying it needs a whole week of national coverage dedicated to it like Duke v UNC seems to get, but doesn't it at least deserve a time slot on a flagship network at a time when people will actually watch it??
    X is now in a giant revenue conference where NCAA number 1-8 seeds are regular, emphasis on be a competitive conference team with top talent, That other small game? Oh please beat those has beens in Clifton.

Villanova-St. Josephs and VU-Temple are not so hyped up any more.

Junior
    A couple issues: UC finally has a coach that doesn't appear to be a dick, so that lessens the hatred factor. X has a bunch of unknowns. And maybe most of all,
    no fans. Not much drama to draw from that scenario.
    Last edited by JTG; 12-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.