Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootout Time

Supporting Member
    I don't love in cincy anymore but I'm sure the hate is still there in town. I'll just say that nationally the game isnt even a blip on the radar. To be fair, college basketball is rarely a blip on the radar nationally until march.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I don't love in cincy anymore but I'm sure the hate is still there in town. I'll just say that nationally the game isnt even a blip on the radar. To be fair, college basketball is rarely a blip on the radar nationally until march.
    Actually it’s been really quiet here in the Cincy area this year. I think most people have a lot more on their mind than this game. Doesn’t help that fans won’t be there and that all of the usual pregame talk shows, contests, promotions won’t be happening because of all the civil mandates. Also the fact that UC just opened their season last night, and that both teams have 2/3rds of their rosters made up of new players, means that there isn’t much “local” flavor to the game. UC only has one player (Davenport!) who is local. X only has Miles and Kunkel as locals. Neither team has a real “star” either, so it can’t be hyped as s showdown between two players. Even the coaches seem to get along pretty well!

I miss the old days when there was blood in the streets and on the court! LOL

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

I miss the old days when there was blood in the streets and on the court! LOL
    I miss the old days of attending basketball games in person

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    In general I think we all have probably overestimated the national significant of the Crosstown Shootout. It's really only a big deal nationally when both teams are ranked. People here in NJ, even Big East basketball fans, don't really even know about it I have found. It's more of a regional rivalry.
    Eat Donuts!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Its tough. Growing up we were the underdog going against Huggins and UC. It was always a blast- the hate was there and built up, game day was electric.

Then- Xavier started becoming better program and it was more of a hatred than anything. F'n Mick....him and his brother were so easy to hate. Even more than Huggins. At least Huggins had some top ranked teams, Mick had nothing to back him up. King JP getting attacked by Mick in the handshake line? Thats gold. But with Mick, the rivalry to me was always X vs Mick.

He is out of the picture now. Unfortunately, I think it will slowly turn into more of a Dayton type rivalry for me without the hate.

*Though didn't UC coach whine about the game being played this year on twitter? Some huge deal about how unfair it is and we should add games or play it at US bank instead? What an idiot- who tried hard to be just like Mack in that Louisville Kentucky thing.
    It was so fun to beat Huggins because of his larger than life personality on the sidelines. He's mellowed out a ton, but he used to be a trainwreck with the refs and his players. It was just so entertaining watching him get mad, and so fun to beat. Also, UC had great teams with some high caliber ballers. UC now - eh, they're ok.

And if I'm being honest, I've come to greatly respect his coaching ability. Definite HOF'er and probably top 10 current coach. He wins everywhere.

I will never say that about Cronin.
    Last edited by drudy23; 12-03-2020 at 01:14 PM.

I really wish that they would bring back the crosstown shootout luncheon. I really looked forward to that. IMO that really built up the game and the hype.
    Balls of Steele!!

2023 Sweet 16

I think we all have to admit that we liked being the little engine that could, against the big bad UC teams. Now X is the big bad team against the little engine that can’t. I don’t think that the UC fans have grasped the idea that they are no longer an elite program and don’t get elite players. It galls the hell out of them that X plays in a bigger league and is a better program. It galls them so much so that they can’t admit it! So they try to downplay the rivalry by saying that it’s a bigger game for X, than it is for them. That it’s no longer a highlight of the season. That it’s no longer important. They’ve done all they can to downplay the game and to reduce the hype, so that it doesn’t hurt so much when they lose. And to be completely honest, it doesn’t feel quite as good as it used to when X won, because now I kind of expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Who’s this Cronin guy? Haven’t heard much about him or UCLA in years.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    I thought Verne Troyer died?
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"