Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    He had a couple of mistakes, no question. I'd sign up for that Carter game all day though. Seems easy for anyone to say- but when you don't like a player his flaws jump out. Carter won the game for X yesterday and has been huge with his rebounding the first 4 games.
    He's also had a couple of timely blocks
    Balls of Steele!!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    In Steele's press conference today to talk about tomorrow's game vs. Tenn. Tech, Coach Steele said that Odom was instructed to make that very foul. Steele chalked up Odom's failure to so do to a "freshman mistake".
    I thought the comment about fouling from paulxu addressed the inbounds situation at the end of O.T. I think that was the play Steele refers to when he said he instructed Odom to foul. If his comment referred to the inbound at the end of regulation, I do not know what Steele (if anything) Steele instructed his team to do in regard to fouling.

I thought the comment about fouling from paulxu addressed the inbounds situation at the end of O.T. I think that was the play Steele refers to when he said he instructed Odom to foul. If his comment referred to the inbound at the end of regulation, I do not know what Steele (if anything) Steele instructed his team to do in regard to fouling.
    Steele said he told the team not to because it was difficult to defend under the basket with a catch and shoot scenario likely to happen.

Well at the end of OT it kind of looked like they tried to foul, but just didn't get it when the guy split to take it up court, but I haven't seen a replay since last night.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    Miller through 71 games: 45-26 (.634) - 11 "A" Kenpom games and 18 "B" Kenpom games.
    Steele through 71 games: 42-29 (.592) - 23 "A" Kenpom games and 21 "B" Kenpom games.

2005: 17-12 (10-6, T4 in A-10, T2 in A-10 West), no postseason, final Kenpom: 81
    2006: 21-11 (8-8, T7 in A-10), 14 seed in NCAAT (R1 loss to Gonzaga) after winning 4 games in 4 days in A-10 Tournament, final Kenpom: 54
    2007: 7-3 start

2019: 19-16 (9-9, T3 in Big East), 3 seed in NIT (R2 OT loss at Texas), final Kenpom: 65
    2020: 19-13 (8-10, T6 in Big East), no postseason (were squarely on the bubble and straddling cut line), final Kenpom: 45
    2021: 4-0 start

Miller and Steele had fairly comparable circumstances as well. Both were promoted from Associate Head Coach. Both lost a lot from the previous year (Sato, Chalmers, and Myles and Bluiett, Macura, Kanter, O'Mara, and Gates). Steele has almost the same record as Miller through the same number of games despite facing a much tougher schedule.

I'm not saying Steele will be as successful as Miller (Miller went 75-21, .781, in his last 96 games). I'm still not sold on Steele. This year need to see some progress. But I'm also not sold that Steele is not the guy. Fair to criticize Steele for certain things but I can't judge whether he is a good coach or not yet.
    Thanks for the numbers, not surprising honestly. Looking forward to see how this year plays out.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Unpopular Opinion - Steele overachieved in his first two seasons with the roster he had. However, still think he has a ways to go with his in-game coaching. Also people forget he brought in all new coaches.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    Miller through 71 games: 45-26 (.634) - 11 "A" Kenpom games and 18 "B" Kenpom games.
    Steele through 71 games: 42-29 (.592) - 23 "A" Kenpom games and 21 "B" Kenpom games.

2005: 17-12 (10-6, T4 in A-10, T2 in A-10 West), no postseason, final Kenpom: 81
    2006: 21-11 (8-8, T7 in A-10), 14 seed in NCAAT (R1 loss to Gonzaga) after winning 4 games in 4 days in A-10 Tournament, final Kenpom: 54
    2007: 7-3 start

2019: 19-16 (9-9, T3 in Big East), 3 seed in NIT (R2 OT loss at Texas), final Kenpom: 65
    2020: 19-13 (8-10, T6 in Big East), no postseason (were squarely on the bubble and straddling cut line), final Kenpom: 45
    2021: 4-0 start

Miller and Steele had fairly comparable circumstances as well. Both were promoted from Associate Head Coach. Both lost a lot from the previous year (Sato, Chalmers, and Myles and Bluiett, Macura, Kanter, O'Mara, and Gates). Steele has almost the same record as Miller through the same number of games despite facing a much tougher schedule.

I'm not saying Steele will be as successful as Miller (Miller went 75-21, .781, in his last 96 games). I'm still not sold on Steele. This year need to see some progress. But I'm also not sold that Steele is not the guy. Fair to criticize Steele for certain things but I can't judge whether he is a good coach or not yet.
    I'm not making a judgement one way or the other, but it's hard to compare Miller and Steele against each other. They are two totally different situations.

Yes, Steele has played a lot tougher schedules, but he's also had WAY more talent. Look at the rosters of Miller's first two teams! There's not one kid who would be recruited by Xavier today. It's impressive that Miller developed a lot of those 2 star and 3 star guys into the 2008 team that culminated in arguably Xavier's best team ever. We're talking about guys like Hammertime, BJ Raymond, Jason Love, CJ Anderson (local kid who went to Manhattan out of HS). None of those guys would get a sniff from Xavier today.

Miller's third year he came within a stupid freakin' call by a stupid ref of knocking off a GREAT OSU team loaded with future NBA guys. Doellman, Cage, Brandon Cole, redshirt freshman Derrick Brown, etc. Maybe Josh Duncan and Cage get offered by Xavier, but no way Steele offers those other guys today.

There's just no comparing the talent Steele is pulling in today.

One thing Sean's teams could do was shoot. They made FT's and could knock down the three ball.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post

One thing Sean's teams could do was shoot. They made FT's and could knock down the three ball.
    The best coach in the history of the game could not have helped the last two seasons team shoot the three ball better. You're correct, you can't compare the two the way you are comparing them. Also, how about we see what Steele can do with his own team. Plus Doellman was a two time MVP and the highest paid player in all of Europe for at least three years.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Plus Doellman was a two time MVP and the highest paid player in all of Europe for at least three years.
    And he was an unranked 2 or 3 star recruit in HS who wouldn't get a recruiting letter, let alone scholarship offer, if he were in HS today.

He turned into a very good college player over four years. I think coaching had a lot to do with that.

This is Steele's team now. He has his guys. I like Travis, but its time to start seeing those improvements.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'm not making a judgement one way or the other, but it's hard to compare Miller and Steele against each other. They are two totally different situations.

Yes, Steele has played a lot tougher schedules, but he's also had WAY more talent. Look at the rosters of Miller's first two teams! There's not one kid who would be recruited by Xavier today. It's impressive that Miller developed a lot of those 2 star and 3 star guys into the 2008 team that culminated in arguably Xavier's best team ever. We're talking about guys like Hammertime, BJ Raymond, Jason Love, CJ Anderson (local kid who went to Manhattan out of HS). None of those guys would get a sniff from Xavier today.

Miller's third year he came within a stupid freakin' call by a stupid ref of knocking off a GREAT OSU team loaded with future NBA guys. Doellman, Cage, Brandon Cole, redshirt freshman Derrick Brown, etc. Maybe Josh Duncan and Cage get offered by Xavier, but no way Steele offers those other guys today.

There's just no comparing the talent Steele is pulling in today.

It's all relative though. The talent may have been less, what Sean had, but it was on par at least, if not better, for the league we played in at the time. So really you can compare the two just fine.

Lets see what happens this year because again, the beginning of Miller's 3rd year you heard a lot of the same things about Miller that you are hearing about Steele now.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17