Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    You were speaking to expectations, expectations are that xavier beats those teams by double digits. You can rationalize it with young team, young season, other teams have been upset. However, AT XAVIER, expectations are that you beat mac, ovc and mvc teams at home easily which is why Vegas set the line of the games where they are. No of course a betting line doesnt decide the outcome of a game. However, it is a really good indicator as to the expectations for that particular game.
    My point would be that if YOU are basing YOUR expectations on Vegas lines, rankings, etc., and not on what you actually see, you're probably making a mistake. If FANS are basing THEIR expectations on the name on the uniform, or the emblem on the floor, and not on what THEY have SEEN for the last 2 seasons plus 4 games, they are making a mistake. if the players and coaches think that they can just put on a uniform, roll the ball out on the floor, and just go at it, they are making a mistake. To "rationalize" something is to be rational in your thought process. It's not making excuses to point out the reasons for a rational thought process. In fact, I'd say that in this case, thinking that past success will have any effect on future results is almost the opposite of rational thought. I'm being purely analytical when I point out the problems with this roster and express that my expectations for THIS year are somewhat conservative, even pessimistic when compared to others. But they are based on what I SEE, not on what if feel. They are not an indictment of the program or a comment on what I think they will accomplish over the NEXT couple of years, only my feeling for THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    I gave Steele the benefit of the doubt the past two years because I thought he was dealt a bad hand with the cancer that was Naji and Q. I'm now beginning to wonder if he is simply in over his head.
    Don't forget that Mack missed on Every priority recruit that we went after. That was an additional major setback as well.
    Balls of Steele!!

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I'm surprised every team we play doesn't pressure us. We have no answers. Haven't for years (dating back to Mack). I think it all comes down to mediocre ball handling from the PG spot. It's been a while since we have had a good true PG that is a solid ball handler. In general I feel like ball handling hasn't been a strong suit of Xavier's since Lyons and Holloway (probably not actually that far back, but still). Hopefully Odom can turn that on around.

I didn't expect a ton from Xavier at this point in the season, so we are kind of in line with what I thought - although I'm surprised we are undefeated. I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing from the core group of younger guys though, and what we have heard about Wilcher and Jones. It's tough to call this a transition year, because it's Steele's 3rd year, but that's kind of what it feel like with a lot of young guys showing promise but not necessarily being fully developed.

I'm interested to see the whole roster play.
    Yeah PG has been an issue since Ed Sumner went down. Minus some early success of Goodin's surrounded by great shooters.

Every team doesnt press us because that is a hard style to play. They probably practice the shit out of that defense. And they have to have the bodies to be able to do it.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Other than missed free throws, I agree with everything else you said. Xavier was 77% from the line. I think we would all take that every game. Two things were the story. Turnovers and defensive rebounding. Cut both in half and Xavier wins by 20+ last night. I know the three shooting wasn’t great the last few games, but this team will be a much better three point shooting team this year as the year progresses. They are getting good spacing and looks, so that will improve. Need to fix the stupid pressure turnovers and make a better effort blocking out on the defensive end. Hopefully Jones and Wilcher are as good as advertised, which would help and it really sucks Stanley didn’t get the waiver because he would have helped quite a bit down low. Can’t have Carter playing that many minutes, especially in a game where the other team is playing such a frantic style.
    Yeah FT's were the least of our worries last night.

Carter had a couple bad plays but for the most part he was a major reason why we won. He is definitely this site's whipping boy though. He wont play that many minutes often though, but we are essentially playing with 6 guys Steele trusts at this point (not sure why Griffin doesnt get a little more run, probably bad matchup yesterday for him), plus Scruggs was in foul trouble and only played 21 mins. Once Jones and Wilcher return Carter's mins will go down some but I think it is time for a lot of people to accept he is going to be integral to our success and he is going to get a lot of playing time. He has been huge on the boards and despite a couple close missed shots he was big offensively too. Added 4 assists and was 7/8 from the FT line.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah PG has been an issue since Ed Sumner went down. Minus some early success of Goodin's surrounded by great shooters.

Every team doesnt press us because that is a hard style to play. They probably practice the shit out of that defense. And they have to have the bodies to be able to do it.
    I forgot about Sumner. Talk about a tale of what could have been (if he had stayed healthy).
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I forgot about Sumner. Talk about a tale of what could have been (if he had stayed healthy).
    Yeah, a big "what if" for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Don't forget that Mack missed on Every priority recruit that we went after. That was an additional major setback as well.
    I am in this camp, but after watching last night's game, and the two games before that, and the two seasons before that, I can't help but wonder how good of a coach Steele is.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I am in this camp, but after watching last night's game, and the two games before that, and the two seasons before that, I can't help but wonder how good of a coach Steele is.

I'll compare Steele to Marvin Lewis

Marvin - Great defensive coordinator / Horrible head coach (Also works for Dick Lebeau)

Travis - Great recruiter / not a great head coach

Quote Originally Posted by kellernr View Post

Marvin - Great defensive coordinator / Horrible head coach (Also works for Dick Lebeau)

Not to change the subject, but in light of the fact that the Bengals have won 4 games since Marvin left, he appears to have been a good coach in a terrible organization.

Quote Originally Posted by kellernr View Post

To be fair recruiting is obviously going to come more naturally to a new head coach because he has been doing that for years as an assistant. It's obviously fair to say he isnt a great head coach right now but I dont think its fair to determine after 2 seasons and 4 games that he wont be a great head coach. I still think he probably has a 50/50 shot to turn into one. At the start of Sean Miller's 3rd year no one thought he was a great head coach. I think most think he turned out to be our best coach ever.