Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ode to Odom

Hard to say what we have with this group, but we are skating on thin ice early. Very similar to last year, but 3-0 feels good.

When digging deep enough into yesterday's game, I noticed a subtle nuance that bodes very well for the future. When Coach Steele decided to go 4 guards + Carter late, with the game totally up for grabs, he asked Dwon Odom to shut down Marreon Jackson! MAC POY Marreon Jackson! Frosh v Senior! That speaks VOLUMES. And what did O.D. do? He block TWO of his shots trying to slash the paint, in CRUNCH TIME, in SPECTACULAR FASHION! WITHOUT FOULING!
    (sorry for all the caps and !!!'s ).

Here's the thing. I knew that Jackson would be called on to deliver the win for the Rockets, and one would think that Coach would point to Scruggs for the assignment..... but NO. He gave it to the freshman and he came up aces!

The Down Hill Assassin can flat out ball !!!!!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-28-2020 at 01:47 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Down Hill Assassin

This is by far the better thread title! Thinking it will get a very long run. Admin, delete my other plz.

When digging deep enough into yesterday's game, I noticed a subtle nuance that bodes very well for the future. When Coach Steele decided to go 4 guards + Carter late, with the game totally up for grabs, he asked Dwon Odom to shut down Marreon Jackson! MAC POY Marreon Jackson! Frosh v Senior! That speaks VOLUMES. And what did O.D. do? He block TWO of his shots trying to slash the paint, in CRUNCH TIME, in SPECTACULAR FASHION! WITHOUT FOULING!
    (sorry for all the caps and !!!'s ).

Here's the thing. I knew that Jackson would be called on to deliver the win for the Rockets, and one would think that Coach would point to Scruggs for the assignment..... but NO. He gave it to the freshman and he came up aces!

The Down Hill Assassin can flat out ball !!!!!

Supporting Member
    I didn't realize Odom was given that assignment. I was intently watching the game and, at that time, thinking we were gonna get an "L". That does say a lot about Odom. I didn't like the judgement lapse late in the Bradley game when he went for the kill but should have held up. Still, to your point, he went for the kill at a critical juncture in that game. And, even though he failed to put the game away then (and, in fact, put up a ugly shot) he didn't hesitate to take the ball to the rim, late, and his basket won the game.

Your point is a good one. We have here a freshman who, in crunch time, wants the ball. His skills need work. His outside shooting is average. His judgement still that of a young man. But, he isn't afraid of being in the middle of a game's key moments. That should be celebrated.

Plus, don't ever forget...........................he was the triple jump champion in the State of Georgia.

That is meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    .he was the triple jump champion in the State of Georgia.
    Yeah, but can he jump off one foot.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Yeah, but can he jump off one foot.
    The answer is unequivocally yes, in 3 successive jumps.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    The answer is unequivocally yes, in 3 successive jumps.
    Well played, sir. Public reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I didn't realize Odom was given that assignment. I was intently watching the game and, at that time, thinking we were gonna get an "L". That does say a lot about Odom. I didn't like the judgement lapse late in the Bradley game when he went for the kill but should have held up. Still, to your point, he went for the kill at a critical juncture in that game. And, even though he failed to put the game away then (and, in fact, put up a ugly shot) he didn't hesitate to take the ball to the rim, late, and his basket won the game.

Your point is a good one. We have here a freshman who, in crunch time, wants the ball. His skills need work. His outside shooting is average. His judgement still that of a young man. But, he isn't afraid of being in the middle of a game's key moments. That should be celebrated.

Plus, don't ever forget...........................he was the triple jump champion in the State of Georgia.

That is meaningful.

They won’t let us forget!!!

On a related note, did you know Matt Stainbrook was an Uber driver?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    They won’t let us forget!!!

On a related note, did you know Matt Stainbrook was an Uber driver?
    Wait, Stainbrook drove an Uber?!?
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Ok, he was nasty throughout. Zeg will toss and turn sleeping tonight after that straight jacket job.....WOW! Love our young guys!!!
    BooYah!

Odom is a heckuva player who also doesn't mind having the ball at crunch time., That said, his three point shot is ugly. If he can get his three to be serviceable, I think he's potentially an NBA player.