Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Got to hope our shooters step up going forward. These last two games looked eerily familiar from behind the arc. We have to be better from 3 when we get to BE play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wilcher is a shooter right? How about Jones?

I get they are freshman but wasnt there talk Jones might be a starter?

Anyone know if they will be out for shootout? Either way I guess they will be pretty rusty from not having played or practiced for a while. As season goes on though hopefully adding those two into the mix gives Steele some more options to work with.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    This board has become a very tough crowd; too tough I think. Last year was a shit show, for sure. But this year's team is young. We have only eight healthy scholarship players, no home court advantage to speak of and we've just won three straight games, two of which we should have lost. You can focus on why we almost lost those two games but I'm more interested in the wins we squeaked out. We definitely have some young talent that is fun to watch.

We are, maybe, a team which ends up in the middle of the B.E. this year. But I enjoy watching them play ten times more than what we put out there the last couple of years.

I was one who criticized Steele on this board the last couple of years. He deserved it, I think. But, the bad apples are gone and the new faces are Steele's recruits. I know M.O.R. is going come in here and make his points that we've proved nothing yet. Of course, when he does, he'll be correct. But, I see progress so Steele has my support.
    I generally agree. In large part, I think, due to the unbelievable 3 year stretch we had right before Steele took over. That was maybe the best stretch in Xavier basketball history (not necessarily in tourney but reg season).

I think we should be better than what we have been the clock really starts for Steele now. He has his guys for the most part now. I think the future looks great with KyKy, Odom, and Freemantle. I think though there is going to be some real growing pains and ups and downs this year. Hoping to see good progress as season progresses though but I think a lot of us might be disappointed with the season overall if we have certain expectations for this year.

Glad to be 3-0 tho. Just win baby.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by XUBob View Post
    Realizing everyone is a bit frustrated the last two days, I think it is different than the last two years. I think the offense while still struggling is already looking better than last year. The looks are better, movement better, turnovers way down. Now if you are getting better looks you need to make the shot, so far not happening consistently. The biggest change I’ve seen is the last two days when not playing up to par the Muskies played really well for the last five minutes. I’m not sure last year’s team and the mettle or ability to close out close games much less come back and win. That is encouraging to me. Let’s rest up get ready for Monday and get to 4-0.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post

Anyone know if they will be out for shootout? Either way I guess they will be pretty rusty from not having played or practiced for a while. As season goes on though hopefully adding those two into the mix gives Steele some more options to work with.
    "Our doctors felt like it was safe for our players to be able to play and that's why those three young men have to quarantine for the next 14 days, unfortunately," said Steele.

"Steele went on to say that his players cannot test out of quarantine. So, even if all three players continue to test negative, they have to stay in quarantine for the full 14 days."

Guess it depends on when they were quarantined.
    2023 Sweet 16

Sophomore
    Even when they don't play well or are learning lessons the hard way (Freemantle), this team is still a lot more fun to watch than last year's version.

I really like our young guys. And we haven't seen Jones or Wilcher yet. Tandy, Free, Odom and Miles have all shown us (glimpses) of some really good play. That bodes well for the future. If Steele can figure out the right rotation and get these guys playing more consistently, we will have a pretty good team come Feb/March.

Steele mentioned in the post game post game that X is a much better team with Kunkel(if gets a waiver), Jones and Wilcher.
    Steele is really banking on his recruits to play high intelligent basketball.
    I can't imagine 7 players splitting time between pg, sg, and small forward. I suspect play a lot depending on matchups. Maybe Tandy, Scruggs and Odom get 5-8 minutes less with Kunkel, Wilcher and Jones.
    I really am impressed with the few turnovers. That helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Steele mentioned in the post game post game that X is a much better team with Kunkel(if gets a waiver), Jones and Wilcher.
    Steele is really banking on his recruits to play high intelligent basketball.
    I can't imagine 7 players splitting time between pg, sg, and small forward. I suspect play a lot depending on matchups. Maybe Tandy, Scruggs and Odom get 5-8 minutes less with Kunkel, Wilcher and Jones.
    I really am impressed with the few turnovers. That helps a lot.
    I think in 3 games, Odom has emerged as the starting PG. Period. He defends well and his ability to get into the lane and create shots is something we haven't seen in 3-4 years honestly. I think Jones is a bit more versatile than Wilcher, so I give him the nod with more minutes early. Agreed, so many guys and a lot of talent at the 1-2-3 positions. The beauty is that guys should be fresh and ready to go. Remember last year when Scruggs and Naji were logging 35+ minutes a game last year? Not ideal.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I really like our young guys. And we haven't seen Jones or Wilcher yet. Tandy, Free, Odom and Miles have all shown us (glimpses) of some really good play. That bodes well for the future. If Steele can figure out the right rotation and get these guys playing more consistently, we will have a pretty good team come Feb/March.
    I think a bit too much is being made about the narrow wins against Bradley and Toledo. Aside from the fact that X was down three players to quarantine protocols, preseason tournaments rarely showcase teams at their best. These tourneys require teams to play 3 or 4 games in consecutive days, without a full season of conditioning under their belts and before a team has established its rhythm and regular rotation. I don’t think we can glean too much from the results, to be perfectly honest. I mean, Virginia lost to San Francisco yesterday. Ruminate on that for a while.

Once the quarantine is over, the rotation is deeper, and the team begins a regular schedule without playing games in consecutive days, hopefully we’ll see performance similar to that of the Oakland game and unlike that of the Bradley and Toledo games. Regardless, 3-0 is 3-0. For a young team early in the season, that’s something to build on.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    I think a bit too much is being made about the narrow wins against Bradley and Toledo. Aside from the fact that X was down three players to quarantine protocols, preseason tournaments rarely showcase teams at their best. These tourneys require teams to play 3 or 4 games in consecutive days, without a full season of conditioning under their belts and before a team has established its rhythm and regular rotation. I don’t think we can glean too much from the results, to be perfectly honest. I mean, Virginia lost to San Francisco yesterday. Ruminate on that for a while.

Once the quarantine is over, the rotation is deeper, and the team begins a regular schedule without playing games in consecutive days, hopefully we’ll see performance similar to that of the Oakland game and unlike that of the Bradley and Toledo games. Regardless, 3-0 is 3-0. For a young team early in the season, that’s something to build on.
    What I think I learned about his team from the last few games isn't so much their talent or potential. What I saw was heart. They turned a couple of losses into wins. Its not like they beat Gonzaga or Duke. But, they didn't quit. They didn't throw in the towel. They stuck with with and unquestionably got lucky. In the end, I saw character and I'll take it.