Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I agree with your statement. He recruited shooters. Is it Steele’s fault when they “can’t shoot”? Is he a bad coach without a game plan when the ball isn’t going in the basket?

I’m not looking for any arguments here. It’s just that I believe Steele has clear game plans that aren’t always executed. Apparently, according to the local paper, he woke up a lethargic Tandy (from his Bradley effort).
    Steele knew what he needed and went out and got shooters. Three games in three days can indeed take a toll on your legs, IMO, especially when 2 of the shooters he brought in were locked up in hotel rooms. I liked that he mentioned those guys after the first game. Poor guys miss their first collegiate game. Hopefully they have terrific careers ahead of them.

If the team runs a play, and springs a player for a wide open, uncontested shot...and he misses...that's not on the coach.

If someone decides to repetitively bring the ball down the court and play hero ball...to the teams detriment...it's on the coach, if he doesn't correct that and make the guy play team ball...or sit him down to get it into his head.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

2023 Sweet 16

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Go to this link
    https://goxavier.com/watch/

Scroll down until you see Live / On Demand
    Click “On Demand” and you should see it there.

Fast forward to 11:45 mark, if you want to skip warmups and intro.
    Thanks

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Steele knew what he needed and went out and got shooters. Three games in three days can indeed take a toll on your legs, IMO, especially when 2 of the shooters he brought in were locked up in hotel rooms. I liked that he mentioned those guys after the first game. Poor guys miss their first collegiate game. Hopefully they have terrific careers ahead of them.
    I am not blaming Steele for players not making shots. I am however blaming him for the types of shots they are taking within his offensive game plan. Multiple times guys were trying to dribble and take step back 3s fading away. Taking contested 3s early in the shot clock. My hope is when Naji left Najiball would finally be behind us. After today, I am afraid this is the type of offense Steele wants to play which I do not see how we make a final four playing that style which is the ultimate goal. I don’t blame Steele for missed shots but I do blame him for the types of shots these guys are taking.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I am not blaming Steele for players not making shots. I am however blaming him for the types of shots they are taking within his offensive game plan. Multiple times guys were trying to dribble and take step back 3s fading away. Taking contested 3s early in the shot clock. My hope is when Naji left Najiball would finally be behind us. After today, I am afraid this is the type of offense Steele wants to play which I do not see how we make a final four playing that style which is the ultimate goal. I don’t blame Steele for missed shots but I do blame him for the types of shots these guys are taking.
    The first game looked great, the next two not so much. I think the first game is what Steele wants to see, the last two....he allowed. That’s not good, but he had little time to work on doing anything about it with back to back to back games while shorthanded. Part of it may or may not have had something to do with having the legs to keep up game one for three straight days. We should know more in a month.

Phan....Xavier played a lineup in the 2nd half that they hadn’t even practicedwith before....4 guards and Carter. Therefore they had to completely throw out any offensive sets they had practiced. It was basically left up to a freshman, a sophomore, a transfer, and two seniors to figure it out on the fly. Some how they did just that and came from behind to win. Was it perfect? No. Where mistakes made? Yes. Are those mistakes correctable? Of course. Will they be corrected? Only time will tell, but I’m betting they will. I said the whole offseason that this was young team and that I really didn’t have high expectations for them this year. I also said that I expect this team to improve as the year goes on. I stand by all of that. Coming into this week I figured that the Bradley and Toledo games were toss ups. X somehow found a way to overcome some adversity and win both those games. I’m not going to worry about how they will play when they get into the BE. Not at this time. I’ll just take the season one game at a time and look to see how much better they get as the season goes on. They showed in the Oakland game just how well they can play when they are making shots. In the last two games they showed that even when they aren’t making shots, they won’t hang their heads and quit. That they will continue to compete. At this point, I’m satisfied with that.

Supporting Member
    Realizing everyone is a bit frustrated the last two days, I think it is different than the last two years. I think the offense while still struggling is already looking better than last year. The looks are better, movement better, turnovers way down. Now if you are getting better looks you need to make the shot, so far not happening consistently. The biggest change I’ve seen is the last two days when not playing up to par the Muskies played really well for the last five minutes. I’m not sure last year’s team and the mettle or ability to close out close games much less come back and win. That is encouraging to me. Let’s rest up get ready for Monday and get to 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by XUBob View Post
    Realizing everyone is a bit frustrated the last two days, I think it is different than the last two years. I think the offense while still struggling is already looking better than last year. The looks are better, movement better, turnovers way down. Now if you are getting better looks you need to make the shot, so far not happening consistently. The biggest change I’ve seen is the last two days when not playing up to par the Muskies played really well for the last five minutes. I’m not sure last year’s team and the mettle or ability to close out close games much less come back and win. That is encouraging to me. Let’s rest up get ready for Monday and get to 4-0.
    X ,when adding Jones Kunkel and Wilcher, is a completely much better team. Shooting, easily will improve. I hope Odom and Tandy can get a lot better at drawing contact and making sure they hit both free throws. Their speed downhill then springing into the hair can turn into a staple.
    Not sure when the quarantine is over , hoping soon.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    15 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds on 6-10 from the field with 1 turnover. No way anyone can complain about that.
    Careful, that might be considered a challenge! LOL
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17