Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    "Our doctors felt like it was safe for our players to be able to play and that's why those three young men have to quarantine for the next 14 days, unfortunately," said Steele.

"Steele went on to say that his players cannot test out of quarantine. So, even if all three players continue to test negative, they have to stay in quarantine for the full 14 days."

Guess it depends on when they were quarantined.
    Thanks. Yeah guessing they miss it based on when we heard about quarantine and hearing that they were practicing.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    I think a bit too much is being made about the narrow wins against Bradley and Toledo. Aside from the fact that X was down three players to quarantine protocols, preseason tournaments rarely showcase teams at their best. These tourneys require teams to play 3 or 4 games in consecutive days, without a full season of conditioning under their belts and before a team has established its rhythm and regular rotation. I don’t think we can glean too much from the results, to be perfectly honest. I mean, Virginia lost to San Francisco yesterday. Ruminate on that for a while.

Once the quarantine is over, the rotation is deeper, and the team begins a regular schedule without playing games in consecutive days, hopefully we’ll see performance similar to that of the Oakland game and unlike that of the Bradley and Toledo games. Regardless, 3-0 is 3-0. For a young team early in the season, that’s something to build on.
    Other than the three players - all of those things affect Toledo and Bradley - probably moreso being on the road. Tired of sugar coating crappy play against lower tear teams. It's Toledo and Bradley for crying out loud. Glad for the wins. Damn glad for the wins. But looking for signs of progress we;ve all been hoping for is sorely missing. In fact, it looks a lot like the same old same old.

There has been a great deal of excuse making and "only-time-will-tell"ing and cautiously optimisticing. I think we have been patient long enough. It's do or die with Travis.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

We just need 25-30 Game 1's.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    But looking for signs of progress we;ve all been hoping for is sorely missing. In fact, it looks a lot like the same old same old.

There has been a great deal of excuse making and "only-time-will-tell"ing and cautiously optimisticing. I think we have been patient long enough. It's do or die with Travis.
    Wow, I can hardly wait to see what people start posting after they LOSE a game! Heads are going to explode. LOL

Honestly.....what are people realistically expecting this year? A national championship?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Other than the three players - all of those things affect Toledo and Bradley - probably moreso being on the road. Tired of sugar coating crappy play against lower tear teams. It's Toledo and Bradley for crying out loud. Glad for the wins. Damn glad for the wins. But looking for signs of progress we;ve all been hoping for is sorely missing. In fact, it looks a lot like the same old same old.

In the immortal, oft repeated words of former tennis great John McEnroe.............You have GOT to be kidding me!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Wow, I can hardly wait to see what people start posting after they LOSE a game! Heads are going to explode. LOL

Honestly.....what are people realistically expecting this year? A national championship?
    A tourney berth, which if they dont progress, that won't happen. Yes they are young, and lots of new faces, but 3 years without a tourney is absolutely unacceptable at Xavier. I see good things, but I also see instances where things look similar to last year. Maybe I'm just so scared from the horrible look of the last couple years. Lol

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    A tourney berth, which if they dont progress, that won't happen. Yes they are young, and lots of new faces, but 3 years without a tourney is absolutely unacceptable at Xavier. I see good things, but I also see instances where things look similar to last year. Maybe I'm just so scared from the horrible look of the last couple years. Lol
    This is Steele’s third season at X and the expectation for him should be NCAA tournament or bust. No excuses with Steele having his players now in the program. The talent is there but he needs to earn his money by coaching wins out of them. His seat should be very hot if we don’t make the tournament.

So you guys really EXPECT them to make the tourney? There is a reason that so many of the national forecasters have them picked 7-8 in the BE. Based on that, do you realistically expect the BE to send 7-8 teams to the tourney? Or do you believe that the forecasters have under rated this team? Taking into account where they are picked to finish in the BE, what their preseason RPI is, and the lack of OOC games they will have with which to pad their resume, I don’t see how anyone can realistically EXPECT to make the tourney this season.

The fact that it’s Steele’s 3rd year, or the idea that making the NCAA tourney should be the “expectation” every year, aren’t real reasons IMO. I DON’T expect this team to make the NCAA tourney, and don’t really expect it to finish .500 in the BE. I don’t see 6 other teams in the BE that it is better than. This is an NIT team this year.

Change my mind.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    So you guys really EXPECT them to make the tourney? There is a reason that so many of the national forecasters have them picked 7-8 in the BE. Based on that, do you realistically expect the BE to send 7-8 teams to the tourney? Or do you believe that the forecasters have under rated this team? Taking into account where they are picked to finish in the BE, what their preseason RPI is, and the lack of OOC games they will have with which to pad their resume, I don’t see how anyone can realistically EXPECT to make the tourney this season.

The fact that it’s Steele’s 3rd year, or the idea that making the NCAA tourney should be the “expectation” every year, aren’t real reasons IMO. I DON’T expect this team to make the NCAA tourney, and don’t really expect it to finish .500 in the BE. I don’t see 6 other teams in the BE that it is better than. This is an NIT team this year.

Change my mind.
    I dont necessarily disagree with a lot of this. However, it is an expectation at xavier to make the tournament. To not make it three years in a row is unacceptable and If that occurs, next year is absolutely make or break for Steele in my mind. I do think that talent wise, there is enough to make the tourney, and I do think they are being a bit underestimated by their be colleagues because of so many new faces.

Now if you want to say there isnt enough talent in year three, that is an indictment of Steele as well, is it not?

Personally, I feel the only way the team doesnt make the tourney is if najiball occurs too much
    Last edited by Xville; 11-28-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Fans will be fans and everyone is free to offer their opinions and perceptions.

Should Travis be on the hot seat at this point? Hell no, IMHO.

Finally mostly his guys now. COVID year realities. Mack clearly left us in a rebuilding mode with his recruiting vacuums.

Did you read the Cincinnati paper’s article about the game? Did you read the part about Travis going small in the second half in an effort to come up with a solution for regaining the momentum against Toledo? He was improvising on the fly, and it worked.

Importantly, I’ve argued forever about the importance of continuity in the head-coaching position. Who are two of the most dominant programs in the country today? I believe it is safe to say the answer is Gonzaga and Villanova, not in that order, of course. Jay Wright and Mark Few. Continuity. I imagine most Duke and Villanova fans are grateful that they were patient with Coach K and JW when they were first starting out, because they didn’t exactly come out of the gate as gangbusters.

We are 3-0. Yes, perhaps we should’ve won the second and third games by wider margins. Nonetheless, our kids showed grit, playing hard to pull out victories at the end.

Comparisons of outcomes may be a waste of time here, but I still give you:

- UVA losing to USF.

- #8 Illinois just getting past Ohio.

- Pepperdine taking the YTG to 3 OT’s.

- Seton Hall almost taking out Mack.

It’s college basketball. It is extremely early in the season. And the season itself is crazy because of COVID.

Finally, we are not even playing at full strength yet.
    Last edited by xudash; 11-28-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    X A V I E R