Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    All-Conference
    Carter shot like one 3 - who cares. He got 11 boards, which is what this team needs. He also blocked/disrupted a few shots and played pretty good D against players more athletic than him.

What is concerning is the current lack of offensive post game, outside of Free. At some point, we're going to need to score from the paint, as teams will likely try to take away our strengths, which will be perimeter play and getting out and using athleticism in the open court.

For those ragging on Scruggs yesterday, we don't win today without him, even though he wasn't very efficient. He's the only one that could really get to the rim with any consistency.
    Last edited by drudy23; 11-26-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Sophomore
    Wait a second... Odom won the triple jump in high school?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Carter shot like one 3 - who cares. He got 11 boards, which is what this team needs. He also blocked/disrupted a few shots and played pretty good D against players more athletic than him.

What is concerning is the current lack of offensive post game, outside of Free. At some point, we're going to need to score from the paint, as teams will likely try to take away our strengths, which will be perimeter play and getting out and using athleticism in the open court.

For those ragging on Scruggs yesterday, we don't win today without him, even though he wasn't very efficient. He's the only one that could really get to the rim with any consistency.
    Generally agree on Carter. Every team needs a "blue collar" player and Carter seems to have settled in to that. I do wish he hit a few more shots.

Disagree on Scruggs although not in context of your comment. I think you're right about his getting to the rim although we saw shades of that out of control, head down type of play that has gotten him in trouble in years past. But, I absolutely, no excuses, expect him to be money at free throw line; he wasn't. And, his decision making in last couple of minutes of today's game was dreadful. He used up that last foul to give unnecessarily fouling the Bradley player when the guy was running away from him and away from his own basket and got exactly one tenth of a second off the clock! Had he waited to foul until that player turned around and headed up court, I think he could have burned most of the 3.9 seconds that remained. That was a god awful decision. Then, he again fouled the Bradley player with a tick left on the clock and sent him to the line. Thankfully, the guy missed the tying free throw, so we snuck away with a "W" and, as ugly as it was, of course I'll take it. We all will.

We had this discussion yesterday and most of us agreed we don't need Scruggs to try and channel his inner Naji and be the Man every night. But, we did agree (most of us anyway) that he has to lead and be consistent in all aspects of his game. I want to see more of that. Still, of course, I recognize we are only two games into the season so I'm generally positive about his performance.

Your comment about post scoring is also a good one. I am quite pleasantly surprised by Griffin as I wasn't sure what we might be getting. I expect he and Miles to improve their contributions as they settle into their roles. We cannot continue to be totally dependent on Freemantle even as impressive as that young man has been. Hopefully, we stay injury and COVID quarantine free, from here on out. But, I don't write that with any great confidence. I saw those dickhead wusses at Butler are shutting things down. This pandemic has just gone on and on and on (and on). I am so fucking tired of it!

Two games in two days and with only eight players so, I think, we had tired legs today and it showed in shooting. I don't expect much better against Toledo but maybe they surprise me. How quickly we miss Wilcher, Jones and Ramsey. I'm hoping good things for Ramsey but lack of information on his status leads me to assume the worse.

The COVID shit-storm may yet overtake this season but these first couple of games are a welcome change from last year. Finally.

Stainbrook drove for Uber? How come I never heard about that?
    Last edited by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever; 11-27-2020 at 02:28 AM.

Sophomore
    I love Carter but he should watch video os Sean McDermott from last year..He could run 10% faster(knowing Griffin is there), cut 10% harder, initiate contact and hope for calls (he does not have refs respect though) and try to make is own play on the drive rather than dish. I think he would get another 4 pos a game doing that. Freemantle can't carry the load in Big East..nobody could. Griffin is at least as talented physically and those 2 plus Miles together should get 15-28 P and 12 rebounds and we could live with that

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    I love Carter but he should watch video os Sean McDermott from last year..He could run 10% faster(knowing Griffin is there), cut 10% harder, initiate contact and hope for calls (he does not have refs respect though) and try to make is own play on the drive rather than dish. I think he would get another 4 pos a game doing that. Freemantle can't carry the load in Big East..nobody could. Griffin is at least as talented physically and those 2 plus Miles together should get 15-28 P and 12 rebounds and we could live with that
    I meant 15-20 pts between carter, Griffen, miles not 28.. If they combined for 28 that would change the whole complexion. Anyway we will know soon with the way the schedule is how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Gonna check out Auburn-St. Joe on FS1 to see what Dahmir Bishop looks like.
    Shooting 57% from three. God I miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

I don’t think anyone was ragging on him. Simply don’t agree that he has to be the leading scorer night in and night out. He can (and does) effect the game in so many other ways besides scoring a bunch of points. And I still think that he takes to many 3 pointers. He is a much more efficient scorer when he drives or takes mid-range shots from the lane. He is not a really good 3 point shooter. He is an excellent passer and does a good job for someone his size when it comes to rebounding. He is a plus defender as well.