Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
Don’t you risk alienating the roster when you bring in top 50 recruits out of prep/HS? Those guys enter college expecting to play right away, which means they are going to be taking minutes away from returning players. It’s my guess that something like that has entered into decisions to transfer more often than not. But competition for playing time is a good thing in my opinion. As a coach, I want players that don’t shrink from a challenge and are willing to compete everyday in practice.

Bottom line.....if you’re not willing to compete for your spot on the squad, your probably not going to be willing to compete for wins. I want guys that are going to compete. I’ll take a 3* that has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove something to everyone, over a 4-5* who thinks the basketball world owes him something, everyday. Who wants a player that shrinks from a challenge? “You’re upset that the new player might take away your playing time? Fine, prove to me that you’re a better player. You don’t want to compete and feel that you’ve already earned that spot? Fine, see you later. Next.”

Does anyone think that Jay Wright worries that his returning players might not like him bringing in new talented players every year? Do anyone really think that they really care if they are transfers? What about Coach K or Coach Cal? They bring in the top recruiting classes every year. Think it ever crosses their mind that they might alienate their upperclassmen by doing that? I can’t think of a coach worth anything that worries about alienating his returning players by bringing in talented new players. In fact, they use it as a motivational tool to get the returners to work harder and improve themselves.

Worry about alienating the current roster to the point where you won’t try to get the best players available to come to your program.....that’s the surest way I know to find yourself looking for a new job.
+1 Good post