Thread: 2017 Tourney

Freshman

2017 Tourney

I just finally finished, last night, watching XU's game against Arizona. That team was a TEAM! Maybe like no other XAVIER will ever see again in my lifetime! What those players did on the court that game and throughout the Big East and NCAA Tourney that year is/was INCREDIBLE!! I was VERY impressed with Malcom Benards play. I also thought it was classy, I cant believe I'm saying this, that Sean Miller went out of his way to congratulate XU players. He seemed generally happy for XU. I hope all of Xavier nation has a VERY Happy Thanksgiving!

Another day that goes down as one of the happiest days of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by basket View Post
    I just finally finished, last night, watching XU's game against Arizona. That team was a TEAM! Maybe like no other XAVIER will ever see again in my lifetime! What those players did on the court that game and throughout the Big East and NCAA Tourney that year is/was INCREDIBLE!! I was VERY impressed with Malcom Benards play. I also thought it was classy, I cant believe I'm saying this, that Sean Miller went out of his way to congratulate XU players. He seemed generally happy for XU. I hope all of Xavier nation has a VERY Happy Thanksgiving!
    That team concept is the difference maker in my opinion. I'll take a core group that averages 10- 15 through a season over one or two that score 15 - 20 with the rest occasionally getting in on the action.

Junior
    I generally agree with that. In fact, IMO the best Xavier team in history was just like that (they had 6 guys averaging 9+ a game).

But if the scorer is someone like Crawford, I take crawford. He averaged 29 points a game in the tournament.

That team was smoking hot in the Tournament (until the next game, sadly), but there's also a reason that team was an 11 seed that had lost 13 games in the first place. That team had a lot of talent and could obviously get hot, but they had more than their share of issues and had to win a nip and tuck game against Butler in the QF of the Big East Tournament to even sneak in to the Big Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I generally agree with that. In fact, IMO the best Xavier team in history was just like that (they had 6 guys averaging 9+ a game).

But if the scorer is someone like Crawford, I take crawford. He averaged 29 points a game in the tournament.
    That's the difference in our most successful teams, we had some big time gamers. That 2017 team with Blueitt and Macura, assassins on the court. It'll be interesting to see if we can have someone step up and be that type of guy in the next couple years. Freemantle has some balls, but Tre and JP were just on a different level when they were locked in.