Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The national “experts” all seem to agree that a major reason that the 2021 class for X is smaller is because there isn’t a lot of minutes going to be available for a couple of years. They, and Steele, also have pointed out that the 2022 class is a MUCH stronger class than the 2021 class. Steele said earlier that they may keep a few scholarships back to use in 2022, unless a really top level player from 2021 fell into their lap. Also, with the number of transfer likely to continue to rise (especially if the rule allowing all players to transfer 1X without having to sit a year actually goes into effect) a coach would have to be daft not to look at that as a source of players. Finally, there is a very very good chance that many programs are going to be bringing their seniors back for another year, that’s going to cut into the available playing time for incoming freshman for the next couple of years. Looking at the X roster, they may well be sitting pretty good in that area because of the lack of upperclassman it has that are likely to stay for that extra year. They may well have more playing time to offer the 2022 class than some other schools. That could bode well for their recruiting in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    It is pretty simple. You win more than you lose, then you can land some top recruits. Lose more often, quality of top frosh will be much harder to land.
    I am not embarrassed by 2021 class. X will be very strong in guards over next 2 seasons. If X wants to be top in BE, X will need get at least one transfer per year. Odds are higher for impact by transfer than hit gold on a frosh.
    It is a balanced approach. I honestly think Steele can get top 50 talent after his first two seasons. It is win this year at a minimum first round NCAA Tourney appearance.
    The future is shining bright with current roster. I am a believer. Then again, it could get ugly with unanticipated losses. I am hedging my bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    The national “experts” all seem to agree that a major reason that the 2021 class for X is smaller is because there isn’t a lot of minutes going to be available for a couple of years. They, and Steele, also have pointed out that the 2022 class is a MUCH stronger class than the 2021 class. Steele said earlier that they may keep a few scholarships back to use in 2022, unless a really top level player from 2021 fell into their lap. Also, with the number of transfer likely to continue to rise (especially if the rule allowing all players to transfer 1X without having to sit a year actually goes into effect) a coach would have to be daft not to look at that as a source of players. Finally, there is a very very good chance that many programs are going to be bringing their seniors back for another year, that’s going to cut into the available playing time for incoming freshman for the next couple of years. Looking at the X roster, they may well be sitting pretty good in that area because of the lack of upperclassman it has that are likely to stay for that extra year. They may well have more playing time to offer the 2022 class than some other schools. That could bode well for their recruiting in the future.
    Makes sense. Also in 2022, X should be loaded with talent to make a NCAA deep run.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Xavier is not listed as being in the Top 8 of the Big East recruiting classes for 2021. We have two 3 star commits. While I never put any credence into "stars" that is not an impressive job. The staff says they want to sign 4 players, but what we have thus far is underwhelming- especially as related to the rest of the league.

Steele has been doing an awful lot of filling in via transfers. While I certainly appreciate the occasional one-off transfer, like Malcolm Bernard, making a practice of bringing in 2 or 3 a year to fill spots that you can't get recruits for is disturbing. Especially when those transfers are from lower D1 schools.

I have always said that great assistants make a great coach. What I have seen thus far from this entire staff is bothersome in all respects.
    I hope that things will look up soon, but there is work to do.
    Steele was left with too many holes to fill andwe know your eye for talent is more than a little suspect ( Harden). He has signed two really strong classes and is filling in some of the gaps with transfers. The next two years will be the true measuring stick from a recruiting and coaching perspective.

Xavier is not listed as being in the Top 8 of the Big East recruiting classes for 2021. We have two 3 star commits. While I never put any credence into "stars" that is not an impressive job. The staff says they want to sign 4 players, but what we have thus far is underwhelming- especially as related to the rest of the league.

Steele has been doing an awful lot of filling in via transfers. While I certainly appreciate the occasional one-off transfer, like Malcolm Bernard, making a practice of bringing in 2 or 3 a year to fill spots that you can't get recruits for is disturbing. Especially when those transfers are from lower D1 schools.

I have always said that great assistants make a great coach. What I have seen thus far from this entire staff is bothersome in all respects.
    Edwards is a 4 star ranked 87th in the country for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Edwards is a 4 star ranked 87th in the country for what it’s worth.
    Back to my original question, anyone know why Edwards didn't sign in the early period last week? Seems odd that he didn't sign yet given that he's been verbally committed now for months.

With regard to Steele and his assistants, I think they have shown they can recruit talent to X. Where I am still not sold on Steele and his staff is on the X's and O's of actual game coaching. He's had enough talent to make the NCAA tourney, but has fallen short so far of making the Big Dance. How long will fans and administration allow that to go on?
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    Back to my original question, anyone know why Edwards didn't sign in the early period last week? Seems odd that he didn't sign yet given that he's been verbally committed now for months.

With regard to Steele and his assistants, I think they have shown they can recruit talent to X. Where I am still not sold on Steele and his staff is on the X's and O's of actual game coaching. He's had enough talent to make the NCAA tourney, but has fallen short so far of making the Big Dance. How long will fans and administration allow that to go on?
    With Edwards, I would guess he is silently still feeling out the recruiting side. If he is 100% solid he would have signed by now so I think he might wait to see how Xavier does this season and what minutes are available for him next year. It’s a little concerning but recruiting is a very fluid and ruthless business.

I will respond, with all due respect:

Steele inherited a bit of a mess with the roster when he took over. X graduated 4 guys, including the three leading scorers. Mack's last recruiting class was a disaster, with only two incoming freshmen, neither who could play at this level. So Steele was forced to use a bunch of transfers, simply because he needed warm bodies.

Steele's first two recruiting classes were very good. The first class has two guys who will likely start this year. This year's incoming class is also good, at least on paper, although I've also read that, in practice so far, the three freshman have all shown that they can play.

This year's recruiting class is not as good, although one player is a top 100 and the other (a project) is at about 175. Part of the reason for not having a larger class is because of the depth of the last two classes. For example, the kid who committed to Alabama was coming to X but changed his mind when X couldn't guarantee him early playing time. Alabama could. The two non-senior transfers (Kunkel and Stanley) also affected high school recruiting. By all accounts, Kunkel and Stanley are very good.

Now I agree you can't build a program by being Transfer U, but this year two guys are senior transfers filling a specific need (backup center and shooting guard), and as noted above, the other two non-senior transfers are supposedly very good. Those other two weren't brought in to fill space, as in the past. They were brought in because they are considered to be Big East caliber players.
    Last edited by XU 87; 11-18-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    Yeah if only Steele and his staff could recruit. The 2019 and 2020 class were only top 20 nationally and top 3 in the Big East. If they keep landing scrubs like KyKy Tandy, Freemantle and Dwon Odom we are screwed. Your take is a crock of shit.
    Time will tell. Haven’t even seen 2020 play yet.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Steele was left with too many holes to fill andwe know your eye for talent is more than a little suspect ( Harden). He has signed two really strong classes and is filling in some of the gaps with transfers. The next two years will be the true measuring stick from a recruiting and coaching perspective.
    I guess Chris Mack’s “eye for talent” was suspect as well since he happily recruited & signed Harden.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I guess Chris Mack’s “eye for talent” was suspect as well since he happily recruited & signed Harden.
    There are ALOT of ugly women out there that somehow managed to get married. Doesn't mean that they were the "first choice" of their husband. Maybe they were simply the best option left.

I think Mack swung for the fences and found a way to get in early with a lot of great prospects. But then they would blow up and see the "big names" that came calling. Mack simply found himself left with the ugly girls to choose from.