Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

40 fewer practices than last year at this point.

On Travis' virtual Chalk Talk this afternoon, he noted they have had 40 fewer practices by this point last year. Throw in the lack of cardio associated with this, 3 freshmen, and 4 newcomers in Johnson/Kunkel/Griffen/Stanley, I'm willing to give the coaching staff A LOT of leeway this season.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Sophomore
    It's fair to give some leeway, but how much? Every other program had to deal with the pandemic, it didn't just hit Norwood.

Not to say X is alone in struggling (I mean look at Duke and UK this year), but we're also coming off a few years of struggle and some are quickly losing optimism for the direction of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    It's fair to give some leeway, but how much? Every other program had to deal with the pandemic, it didn't just hit Norwood.

Not to say X is alone in struggling (I mean look at Duke and UK this year), but we're also coming off a few years of struggle and some are quickly losing optimism for the direction of the program.
    Agreed, I would like to know how many practices other teams have missed. That would give us a barometer with which to measure.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    On Travis' virtual Chalk Talk this afternoon, he noted they have had 40 fewer practices by this point last year. Throw in the lack of cardio associated with this, 3 freshmen, and 4 newcomers in Johnson/Kunkel/Griffen/Stanley, I'm willing to give the coaching staff A LOT of leeway this season.
    And so should everyone but they don't....it's considered an excuse. In reality it's an obvious detriment but if you want to call it an excuse, with no regards to the fact, it's a damn good one!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-03-2021 at 12:13 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Agreed, I would like to know how many practices other teams have missed. That would give us a barometer with which to measure.
    One can assume that practice/conditioning time is directly associated with games played.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Supporting Member
    Lack of practices has nothing to do with his terrible lineup management, game plans, and slow to in game adjustments that have cost the team games

I think some of the problems can be attributed to lack of practice. Some to bad luck (Stanley's knee and Griffin getting COVID and sitting out for a month). Some of the substitution pattern stuff definitely seems to be coaching. His annoying comments after every game about 'effort' are 100% coaching :)
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Lack of practices has nothing to do with his terrible lineup management, game plans, and slow to in game adjustments that have cost the team games
    I agree with this. Yes the not practicing has a lot to do with some issues but the fact remains that the lineups leave a lot to be desired. I mean he wants to play a certain way but can’t because the lineups he puts out on the floor. You want to have ball movement and shoot the three then you better put your best athletes, passers and shooters on the floor. In my opinion he needs to stick with a 4 out offense and rotate the bigs to give free a little rest. Make the other team play your style instead of playing their’s.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I agree with this. Yes the not practicing has a lot to do with some issues but the fact remains that the lineups leave a lot to be desired. I mean he wants to play a certain way but can’t because the lineups he puts out on the floor. You want to have ball movement and shoot the three then you better put your best athletes, passers and shooters on the floor. In my opinion he needs to stick with a 4 out offense and rotate the bigs to give free a little rest. Make the other team play your style instead of playing their’s.
    Sounds so simple. Anybody could do it!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I think some of the problems can be attributed to lack of practice. Some to bad luck (Stanley's knee and Griffin getting COVID and sitting out for a month). Some of the substitution pattern stuff definitely seems to be coaching. His annoying comments after every game about 'effort' are 100% coaching :)
    And the loss of Johnson for the season.
    X A V I E R