Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Chuck Harris is 6’2” 190 lb guard.
    I was thinking he was 6'5". He does play bigger than 6'2" and is now the teams leading scorer.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    But the style everyone wants to mimic is based on the teams of the past 5 years which were littered with NBA talent.

Why people think we can just go out and mimic that is pretty head scratching.

I also wanted to be like Michael Jordan - you know, outside of the 42 inch vert, being 6'6", the footwork, the quickness, the strength, the explosion, the basketball IQ, the defense - I was just like him!!

I mean, I don't need those things, I just have to want to be like him, and poof - I'm Michael!!!
    No need to read too much into these Nova aspirations. GQJ has struck gold with his 4 BIG guard/wing high ball movement offense. Older coaches are pretty much set in their ways but you can be sure that most of the younger crop of coaches will try and mimic that system to some extent. I think it's obvious that Travis wants to do just that and IMO this freshman class looks to be a homerun in that regard.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 02-21-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    No need to read too much into these Nova aspirations. GQJ has struck gold with his 4 BIG guard/wing high ball movement offense. Older coaches are pretty much set in their ways but you can be sure that most of the younger crop of coaches will try and mimic that system to some extent. I think it's obvious that Travis wants to do just that and IMO this freshman class looks to be a homerun in that regard.
    I completely agree that coaches will try to mimic it - but they're also not GQJ and don't get the players he does. The teams that will be successful with it are likely the ones that recruit (and land) like Villanova.

It's much more about the players and the coach than it is about the system. We're going to need another step up in our recruiting profile to even begin to see some of that same success.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-21-2021 at 10:26 AM.

So D.....what exactly is the type of player you’d like X to recruit and what style of play would you like to see them play?

In honor of the late John Chaney - I would like to see a four corner offense. Stall ball.

What shot clock?

Oh, never mind.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Supporting Member
    Not that you asked me but if we are going to play the way nova plays, we need 1-2 bangers that will allow the other 4 on the floor to do their thing. We have zero on the roster in that banger profile that can grab rebounds, defend the post and score inside....maybe griffin but we need someone with better talent than him. Doesn’t seem like x is getting one next year either.

I don’t want to look like creighton every year that gets exposed against big frontcourts. There has to be some balance.

It’s a shame Jones didn’t have one year left... I think he would thrive this year with shooters on the floor.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Not that you asked me but if we are going to play the way nova plays, we need 1-2 bangers that will allow the other 4 on the floor to do their thing. We have zero on the roster in that banger profile that can grab rebounds, defend the post and score inside....maybe griffin but we need someone with better talent than him. Doesn’t seem like x is getting one next year either.

I don’t want to look like creighton every year that gets exposed against big frontcourts. There has to be some balance.

It’s a shame Jones didn’t have one year left... I think he would thrive this year with shooters on the floor.
    This is exactly right.

There are a couple things:

1) As XVille alluded to, more true Big East post players that are threats to score in the post - takes so much pressure off of the perimeter where shooters can operate. Their recruiting is also not targeting the Big East power players - you need balance because we're not going to get the NBA ready wings that are capable of playing that wing 4.
    2) Stop trying to mold players into stretch 4s where their skill set doesn't allow it - Free is a true 4 that can occassionaly make 3s - Carter is a true 4 - keep them in the paint. All putting them on the perimeter does is make life harder for the guards.
    3) Keep recruiting shooters and high IQ guys - love the makeup of Wilcher and Jones

Tyrique would be an absolute menace with this line-up. Stainbrook would average 6-8 assists per game.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-21-2021 at 12:50 PM.

It’s not like hasn’t recruited bangers....they have. Several. They just haven’t done a good job of landing them. Of course just about every other school in the country is trying to land one too. There aren’t a whole lot of players that can do it all...bang, shoot, and move....and want to attend a school like X.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 02-21-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    It’s not like hasn’t recruited bangers....they have. Several. They just haven’t done a good job of landing them. Of course just about every other school in the country is trying to land one too. There aren’t a whole lot of players that can do it all...bang, shoot, and move....and want to attend a school like X.
    They don’t need bangers that can shoot, they need 1-2 a tyrique Jones type players that can dunk and grab rebounds. Those are available.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    They don't have to necessarily have to be able to shoot. They need to be a serviceable offensive threat in the post.

We're not going to get the Kris Jenkins of the world where they can shoot 25 footers against big guys and post up smaller guards.