Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think this year is important for Steele. He's gotta deliver progress and show he has this program headed in the right direction. I give him a pass of sorts the last two years. This is his team with almost all of his recruits.

I want to see evidence of a system in place -even if it needs work - and evidence that the coach - NOT THE PLAYERS - is running this team. Then, I want to see improvement over the course of the season. Hopefully, wins come, but last year, even though they finished above .500 was PAINFUL to watch and just seemed to get worse.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    All I know is Marquette is the cautionary tale. Wojo is under contract for 4 more years and this has been his resume thus far. And Frankly, Marquette has deeper pockets than we do so its pretty insane what hes gotten away with.

Last edited by Drew; 10-30-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I want to see evidence of a system in place -even if it needs work - and evidence that the coach - NOT THE PLAYERS - is running this team. Then, I want to see improvement over the course of the season. Hopefully, wins come, but last year, even though they finished above .500 was PAINFUL to watch and just seemed to get worse.
    Losing those last three games was a bummer. Winning just one of them would've been an accomplishment. Either PC or Butt would've been great. 20-11 is way better than 19-13.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I want to see evidence of a system in place -even if it needs work - and evidence that the coach - NOT THE PLAYERS - is running this team.⅝.
    The bad apples have left the orchard, Naji and Q. Steele was over a barrel, without them may we win 10 games, with them we won 19, but we were mostly a hot mess. I think we'll be much more fun to watch, and will play as a team, and Win.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Travis Steele in my opinion did as good of a job as anyone could have with the team he inherited. In fact, IMO he exceeded in the win column. He had no outside shooting, none. That makes game planning against X that much easier. Plus he was dealing with issues from players from day 1 who weren't bought in and just wanted to showcase themselves.

Just looking at the 3 PT SHOOTING alone

GONE 3FG 3FGA %
    NAJI MARSHALL........44...............154......28.57
    QUENTIN GOODEN....27................95......28.42
    BRYCE MOORE..........25................84......29.76
    DAHMIR BISHOP........2 ...............17 ......11.76
    DONTARIUS JAMES....4 ................16......25.00

TOTAL.....................102..............366.... .27.87

RETURNING.................3FG...........3FGA...... .%
    PAUL SCRUGGS.............44..............118.....37.29
    ZACH FREEMANTLE.......12..............34.....35.29
    JASON CARTER.............20..............63.....31.75
    KY KY TANDY................33..............93.....35.48

TOTAL.........................109.............308. ....35.39

CJ WILCHER - TOP 5 SHOOTER IN THE NATION Couldn't find any numbers though
    COLBY JONES - 45% FROM 3 WITH 2500 PTS SCORED IN HS
    DWON ODOM - 22 of 56 FOR 39% WITH 2300 POINTS SCORED IN HS
    NATE JOHNSON - 77 of 185 FOR 42%
    BRYAN GRIFFIN - 15 of 51 FOR 29%
    BEN STANLEY - 15 of 45 FOR 33%

ADAM KUNKEL - 83 - 212 FOR 39%
    We could use a Wragge or Ballock.
    2023 Sweet 16

If we need outside shooting, this guy may have some eligibility left:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1322664700052705283
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

The heat is on. Three seasons with no NCAA March Madness is not acceptable. These are the dues to pay, playing in an elite conference. X needs to have a top 20 team at least every 4 years.

I think 2021-22 season will have the best skill with experience and probable top 10 ranking. We will hopefully see early signs of greatness this year. Getting all the wrinkles out. It may be similar to Providence's season last season. They started very very slow. They got hot with play during the last 10 games.
    We shall see.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    The heat is on. Three seasons with no NCAA March Madness is not acceptable. These are the dues to pay, playing in an elite conference. X needs to have a top 20 team at least every 4 years.

I think 2021-22 season will have the best skill with experience and probable top 10 ranking. We will hopefully see early signs of greatness this year. Getting all the wrinkles out. It may be similar to Providence's season last season. They started very very slow. They got hot with play during the last 10 games.
    We shall see.
    Nobody made the tournament last year. So Steele has only missed one year, his first season with a trash roster. Programs must give head coaches 5 seasons at minimum to bring in their guys, create culture, and prove themselves. Travis has had some ups and downs but he is building a very good roster and I think we will be getting back to where we are accustomed very soon.

Wojo was mentioned in the thread. He has little to show at his tenure at Marquette. Same with Archie Miller at IU. Despite little results they are still employed and are not getting heat from their administrations.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    Nobody made the tournament last year. So Steele has only missed one year, his first season with a trash roster. Programs must give head coaches 5 seasons at minimum to bring in their guys, create culture, and prove themselves. Travis has had some ups and downs but he is building a very good roster and I think we will be getting back to where we are accustomed very soon.

Wojo was mentioned in the thread. He has little to show at his tenure at Marquette. Same with Archie Miller at IU. Despite little results they are still employed and are not getting heat from their administrations.
    This is the rational take that most of us seem to have, I have faith that Steele will continue to improve, and I want to see a roster make up of purely just his guys before going through another coaching change. All that does is bring instability, and another adjustment period for a few years, it's not a fun time. I think with the recruiting we're setting ourselves up for a pretty special season next season, and this season in midst of a lot of craziness in the world should be interesting. All I want to see really is that we improved from whatever the hell that style of play was last year, cut down stupid decisions, and grow throughout the season. If that leads to the tournament, I'll be stoked, if not, hopefully there's something to build off of at least.

Side bar though, is Archie really not on the hot seat at Indiana? I genuinely don't know, I figured a program like that wouldn't be too happy with not being "elite" as they are used to. Is it because of the buyout and finances, or just they still have faith?