Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    This is the rational take that most of us seem to have, I have faith that Steele will continue to improve, and I want to see a roster make up of purely just his guys before going through another coaching change. All that does is bring instability, and another adjustment period for a few years, it's not a fun time. I think with the recruiting we're setting ourselves up for a pretty special season next season, and this season in midst of a lot of craziness in the world should be interesting. All I want to see really is that we improved from whatever the hell that style of play was last year, cut down stupid decisions, and grow throughout the season. If that leads to the tournament, I'll be stoked, if not, hopefully there's something to build off of at least.

Side bar though, is Archie really not on the hot seat at Indiana? I genuinely don't know, I figured a program like that wouldn't be too happy with not being "elite" as they are used to. Is it because of the buyout and finances, or just they still have faith?
    Honestly when was the last time IU was considered elite? They made the final four in 2002, but prior to that they haven't been past the second weekend since 1993. They have 4 national championships all before 1987. The last three coaches prior to Archie had not been able to restore the program among the elite. Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, and Tom Crean. Archie is in year 4 with no conference titles, NCAA tournament wins, and has a .561 win % and his seat is as cool as a cucumber.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

I believe that they are still thought of as an top program by many fans. But, how they are thought of probably depends on what age group you are. No matter how we might view them though, they are still a “name” to many in the press. They still have a huge fan base in a state where basketball is king. They still play in one of the top college basketball conferences and usually are seen as a threat to win the conference championship. They still recruit (usually) at a top level. They are still a program that is attractive to coaches and players.

I guess it might depend on what is meant by “elite”, but I’m also not sure it really matters if they are truly “elite” or not. As long as the fans, boosters, and administrators there think they are, they will still be disappointed if they aren’t winning national championships.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    And you are certainly entitled to that opinion. It sounds a little like the Cleveland Browns style of management, but you are entitled. Nobody get a clean PASS, but he gets more time in my opinion. Give him a chance to get his own guys and grow a bit into the #1 seat. This last year has been batshit crazy. I wouldn’t want to be judged by how I handled this mess (UNLESS I killed it!).

Excessive turnover is more often the enemy than a friend.
    Steele has a lot to prove, to the media and to the fans. He now HAS ALL of his "own guys". And allegedly they have talent, just like they had talent last year.

High Expectations, No Excuses.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I think this year is important for Steele. He's gotta deliver progress and show he has this program headed in the right direction. I give him a pass of sorts the last two years. This is his team with almost all of his recruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I want to see evidence of a system in place -even if it needs work - and evidence that the coach - NOT THE PLAYERS - is running this team. Then, I want to see improvement over the course of the season. Hopefully, wins come, but last year, even though they finished above .500 was PAINFUL to watch and just seemed to get worse.
    Both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    If we need outside shooting, this guy may have some eligibility left:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1322664700052705283
    Take it to the Politics thread. He shoots better than he could President.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Steele has a lot to prove, to the media and to the fans. He now HAS ALL of his "own guys". And allegedly they have talent, just like they had talent last year.

High Expectations, No Excuses.
    Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Both of these.

Bump