Page 32 of 81 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    No they really are not. They have position groups but for a good part of practice they are going 11 on 11 and sweating and bleeding on each other. Yeah they are outside but still are not distanced and have much closer contact. But one or 5 or 10 football players testing positive or close contacts was not causing cancellations but 1 basketball player and you go on pause. As long as a football team had 53 guys available they could play.
    I was thinking more NFL (I get the previous posts referenced college. NFL does not do much 11 on 11, I don't know about college as much).

I am confused on however on how football players have "much closer contact" than basketball players. Care to elaborate on that one? If anything I could get equal but I don't know how you could get any closer than two big men posting up on each other.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I know for a fact that few if any of my teammates over the years would have even considered it if given a choice where they wouldn’t have lost any eligibility or their place on the team.
    Everybody received an extra year of eligibility. So they can play 5 seasons instead of 4. Deciding not to play this season will still reduce the number of seasons they could play by 1, so still losing a year of eligibility. Not to mention a transfer may arrive next year that is better. So they may not lose their place on the team, but there's no way to guarantee they maintain their current role.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I was thinking more NFL (I get the previous posts referenced college. NFL does not do much 11 on 11, I don't know about college as much).

I am confused on however on how football players have "much closer contact" than basketball players. Care to elaborate on that one? If anything I could get equal but I don't know how you could get any closer than two big men posting up on each other.
    How they get closer? Well watch any football game and watch how many guys are gang tackling and everyone runs to the ball. So with the oline and deline blocking and fighting each other on every play and guys getting tackled, you probably have close contact with at least 20 guys on every snap.

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    Everybody received an extra year of eligibility. So they can play 5 seasons instead of 4. Deciding not to play this season will still reduce the number of seasons they could play by 1, so still losing a year of eligibility. Not to mention a transfer may arrive next year that is better. So they may not lose their place on the team, but there's no way to guarantee they maintain their current role.
    Never met an athlete worth a damn that worried about who he might be competing with for a spot on the team...NEXT year. Can’t really imagine there is any that are saying to themselves that they better play this year, because the coach MIGHT bring in a player that is better than them NEXT year. Who in the hell wants players that are afraid to compete, anyway? I sure hope X doesn’t have any players like that.

As far as your 1st point, I guess you could look at it that way, but I think all of them realize that’s not the purpose of the new rule. Nobody is going to play as many games this year as they would in a normal season, many are going to play a lot less games, and in the case of the Ivy League and some individual players and programs, they aren’t going to play any. What the rule insures is that this screwed up year isn’t going to penalize players by reducing the number of games they would get to play in a career. Yes, for many players it will actually add games to a career, but that was certainly not the purpose of the rule. Also, keep in mind that the rule covers ALL WINTER sports, some of which that would normally have started during the 1st semester, but didn’t start until the 2nd semester. Some of those sports are going to have almost complete seasons wiped out. This rule insures that those athletes won’t have 1/4 of their college career go down the drain through no fault of their own. It’s not really there to add to the career of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    How they get closer? Well watch any football game and watch how many guys are gang tackling and everyone runs to the ball. So with the oline and deline blocking and fighting each other on every play and guys getting tackled, you probably have close contact with at least 20 guys on every snap.
    Again the closeness would seem the exact same to me in game settings. And moreso in practice settings n basketball (speaking in terms of whole team).
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Yeah, if anything I would say bball spends more time being in close contact. I guess the only thing for football is there are just so many more players it increases the chance of one of them getting it. I really anticipated more instances like the Titans- where it basically continued to spread throughout the team over the span of a week or two.

This is like debating whether who gets wet more, the person jumping in the pool head first or the person jumping in feet first(off two feet of course)
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    This is like debating whether who gets wet more, the person jumping in the pool head first or the person jumping in feet first(off two feet of course)
    Ha

Oklahoma by 7 over Kansas. Kansas was sitting a #9.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Oklahoma by 7 over Kansas.
    Therefore, Xavier over Kansas by 29