Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    A little more FREEDOM? Life? Remember, the NCAA has already granted all of them an extra year of eligibility. This year doesn’t count. I have absolutely no doubt that we are going to see several teams be forced to forfeit games in the NCAA tourney, or have to back out participating at the last minute. Is that what they are having to look forward to? Going through all of this he’ll of a season, just to have the opportunity to compete in the tourney taken away from at the last minute ?

Or......do the players become just regular students who don’t have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks at a time because someone in their class is sick. Coaches and staff can have interaction with their families, spend time with their kids.

I was one of the most dedicated college athletes you can imagine. I literally gave up a social life during the long winter season. I trained/practiced year round, everyday, holidays included. I loved it, still do. But I don’t think I would voluntarily have gone through what these kids are going through, and I know for a fact that few if any of my teammates over the years would have even considered it if given a choice where they wouldn’t have lost any eligibility or their place on the team.
    I don't know what an 18-22 year old's mindset is about all of this right now, but I would find it pretty hard to believe that they would not want to play even with all of the stop/start etc. I think that if what you said is true, there would be a heck of a lot of lower level conference teams (that don't have the contractural obligations that a Big East team has) opting out of the season

You might be right, I might be wrong. Like I said, it’s a hunch on my part. But I can tell you that from personal experience that the stop-start-stop going on in many businesses (including my wife’s company) is more stressful for many than knowing it’s going to be shut down until things permanently improve.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    A little more FREEDOM? Life? Remember, the NCAA has already granted all of them an extra year of eligibility. This year doesn’t count. I have absolutely no doubt that we are going to see several teams be forced to forfeit games in the NCAA tourney, or have to back out participating at the last minute. Is that what they are having to look forward to? Going through all of this he’ll of a season, just to have the opportunity to compete in the tourney taken away from at the last minute ?

Or......do the players become just regular students who don’t have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks at a time because someone in their class is sick. Coaches and staff can have interaction with their families, spend time with their kids.

I was one of the most dedicated college athletes you can imagine. I literally gave up a social life during the long winter season. I trained/practiced year round, everyday, holidays included. I loved it, still do. But I don’t think I would voluntarily have gone through what these kids are going through, and I know for a fact that few if any of my teammates over the years would have even considered it if given a choice where they wouldn’t have lost any eligibility or their place on the team.
    1. I don't think its wrong if any player decides they can't handle it and want to opt out. That would be their right and I would not fault them at all. We saw plenty of college football players do it. If basketball players wanted to do it I think we would be seeing them do it.

2. You understand quarantine rules arent different for college basketball players than regular students right? If a regular student is exposed to a classmate who is diagnosed with COVID they have to quarantine as well. I mean I guess the difference is no one is overseeing them they can irresponsibly ignore the quarantine rules? The only significant difference is that in the regular world you can get your quarantine down to 7-10 days if you undergo testing where due to NCAA or conference rules the players/team has to do the 14.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    I am pretty sure a UC basketball player opted out after the first couple months of play. Basically saying it wasn't worth it and was causing mental health problems....So, it does happen. Isn't that the whole point of an extra year of eligibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I am pretty sure a UC basketball player opted out after the first couple months of play. Basically saying it wasn't worth it and was causing mental health problems
    I don't think that has anything to do with the pandemic. That's just UC basketball.

You might be right, I might be wrong. Like I said, it’s a hunch on my part. But I can tell you that from personal experience that the stop-start-stop going on in many businesses (including my wife’s company) is more stressful for many than knowing it’s going to be shut down until things permanently improve.
    The difference is that when they end the college basketball season (as opposed to your wife's work) that is all she wrote for some guys. Scruggs isnt coming back despite the free year of eligibility. I am sure he wants to try and make and play in the NCAA tourney for the 1st time since his freshman year. If he doesnt and wants to stop the season I don't fault him at all, but I sort of doubt he does. That isnt saying this isnt hard or drive you crazy.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I cant understand how College Football, with rosters of like 100 players and a dozen or more coaches and staff can pull off (for the most part) a full season. Sure, a handful of games got canceled or postponed, but generally the games that were scheduled were played.

So, how the hell is this so much more impactful for basketball with a fraction of the number of participants.

Doesn't add up.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I cant understand how College Football, with rosters of like 100 players and a dozen or more coaches and staff can pull off (for the most part) a full season. Sure, a handful of games got canceled or postponed, but generally the games that were scheduled were played.

So, how the hell is this so much more impactful for basketball with a fraction of the number of participants.

Doesn't add up.
    Inside vs outside, 1 game a week, football is more socially distanced in terms of offense/defense practicing separately quite a bit...rosters of however many so that if a number of people go down, still have enough to field a team....football was kind of an issue even with all of this...look at the number of bowl games cancelled etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Inside vs outside, 1 game a week, football is more socially distanced in terms of offense/defense practicing separately quite a bit...rosters of however many so that if a number of people go down, still have enough to field a team....football was kind of an issue even with all of this...look at the number of bowl games cancelled etc.
    Yeah plus with basketball 1 person gets COVID the whole team is exposed. Like you said football teams are a lot more distanced from one another in various position groups etc.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah plus with basketball 1 person gets COVID the whole team is exposed. Like you said football teams are a lot more distanced from one another in various position groups etc.
    No they really are not. They have position groups but for a good part of practice they are going 11 on 11 and sweating and bleeding on each other. Yeah they are outside but still are not distanced and have much closer contact. But one or 5 or 10 football players testing positive or close contacts was not causing cancellations but 1 basketball player and you go on pause. As long as a football team had 53 guys available they could play.