Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I don't think they are overrated by any means, but I do think they are propped up by an insane amount of coverage for a team/program that hasn't won anything. I think a lot of that is attributed to the fact that they play in a shitty conference they are able to dominate year in/year out, and thus get high seeds which makes it pretty easy to at least get to the second weekend. Even today, a lot of the coverage was more about Gonzaga then Baylor dominating the game. It's gross.
    Is going to the Final Four "not winning anything"?? Twice??

I would argue that the opposite is true. That Gonzaga's critics are holding them to a standard that is so ridiculous that it's laughable. If getting all the way to the title game twice in four years constitutes not winning anything, then I guess Xavier should just shut the shop down. We've never won anything. Ever. So, why go on?
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Yea they haven’t won anything. For some reason people act like making the final four is the national championship. All you did was win 4 games. It takes 6 to win it all. Making the final four isn’t as impressive as it once was. Now you have Loyola, G Mason, VCU making it. Gonzaga hasn’t won a damn thing. You’re correct, Xavier hasn’t won anything as well. As fans we like to talk about the Elite 8’s but we didn’t win anything. The ZOGS are overrated and at the end of the day have as many titles as Xavier and NKU (NADA)
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Is going to the Final Four "not winning anything"?? Twice??

I would argue that the opposite is true. That Gonzaga's critics are holding them to a standard that is so ridiculous that it's laughable. If getting all the way to the title game twice in four years constitutes not winning anything, then I guess Xavier should just shut the shop down. We've never won anything. Ever. So, why go on?
    For the amount of coverage, they receive, I don't think it's laughable at all. Let's take Villanova for example. They have won twice in 4 years....they don't receive near the coverage Gonzaga has year in, year out over the last ten or so years....not remotely close.

I'm not going to hate or completely ignore what Few has been able to do out there, it is impressive. However, I think their conference enables them quite a bit to do/ have things that they wouldn't if they were in a legitimate conference.

I think we are just going to agree to disagree here, no worries.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-06-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Yea they haven’t won anything. For some reason people act like making the final four is the national championship. All you did was win 4 games. It takes 6 to win it all. Making the final four isn’t as impressive as it once was. Now you have Loyola, G Mason, VCU making it. Gonzaga hasn’t won a damn thing. You’re correct, Xavier hasn’t won anything as well. As fans we like to talk about the Elite 8’s but we didn’t win anything. The ZOGS are overrated and at the end of the day have as many titles as Xavier and NKU (NADA)
    This is like saying going to the Super Bowl is easy because you only have to win two games. Uhhh....not exactly. You have to win a whole bunch of games to be in that situation in the first place.

And, going to the Final Four means you won a regional, which you do get a trophy for. If you don't see any difference between Gonzaga and NKU, then you really do need to have your house checked for lead.

Junior
    I think Nova certainly has received similar coverage. I should say- when they won it all most people were saying its the best program in college basketball. I see them referred to as the best culture in college basketball as well. This year is different but understandably- it was an undefeated Gonzaga team so everyone was talking about them.

The person who mentioned all the teams they beat, let’s look at those teams. BYU is garbage, Oklahoma is garbage (we beat them) Creighton is garbage (we beat them) Kansas was garbage, Virginia garbage, UCLA took OT and a freak shot and they are coached by YTG. Their so called tough schedule was ranked 101 Non Con. Only reason they finished up with a 72 sos was because Kenton counted the tournament. Overhyped Europeans. Also how many of their players played professionally for their country? Is that allowed?
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    For the amount of coverage, they receive, I don't think it's laughable at all. Let's take Villanova for example. They have won twice in 4 years....they don't receive near the coverage Gonzaga has year in, year out over the last ten or so years....not remotely close.

I'm not going to hate or completely ignore what Few has been able to do out there, it is impressive. However, I think their conference enables them quite a bit to do/ have things that they wouldn't if they were in a legitimate conference.

I think we are just going to agree to disagree here, no worries.
    Yes, you're right. When Nova lost early in the tournament as a protected seed, which happened multiple times, you didn't have everyone lining up to talk about how they were overrated.

Never said it was easy to make the title game but they still haven’t won anything. Bengals have zero Super Bowls which is also the same as NKU and Xavier. Nobody remembers the losers only the winners. Zogs are OVERRATED.

Nova won two championships. When the Zogs win one we can talk about how great they are. Until then, they are overrated and I love watching them lose, even if it’s just once a year. Next year will be the same story. Top 3 ranking , joke of a conference, high seed and nothing to show for it. F EM

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Never said it was easy to make the title game but they still haven’t won anything. Bengals have zero Super Bowls which is also the same as NKU and Xavier. Nobody remembers the losers only the winners. Zogs are OVERRATED.
    Yeah, them and 356 others. No national runner up has ever been this collectively criticized as being overrated. Except them. Twice. If I'm wrong, then who??

But, to Go's point, they were rated #1, when they were clearly just #2. So, I guess that's being overrated to a point.