Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    With Tandy's size, he has to become better off the dribble. I think he's already proven he can knock down 3's at a good rate, but we need more from him than that.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    With Tandy's size, he has to become better off the dribble. I think he's already proven he can knock down 3's at a good rate, but we need more from him than that.
    Just getting healthy, after last year's problems, should get him back to being explosive off the dribble.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Tandy is very athletic. He can jump off one foot/.
    X simply is batting less than .300 on highly go to guards. Just a concern as X needs a very reliable scorer and play maker other than Scruggs, Johnson, Castin, and Bernard.
    I hope Tandy produces.
    We shall see.
    Castin and Bernard....??
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Both are healthy and practicing with the team. What did you want to hear?
    I was wondering the same thing about Ramsey. He posted something on his Instagram a couple weeks ago that suggests he got hurt again. Really unfortunate but I don’t know the extent of the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Tandy is very athletic. He can jump off one foot/.
    X simply is batting less than .300 on highly go to guards. Just a concern as X needs a very reliable scorer and play maker other than Scruggs, Johnson, Castin, and Bernard.
    I hope Tandy produces.
    We shall see.
    Recruiting on "highly go to guards," I'll define this as top 150 nationally:
    2019 - Kyky Tandy (4*, 89th nationally), Dahmir Bishop (4*, 119th nationally)
    2018 - Nobody classified (though I guess Keonte Kennedy at 3* and 234th nationally?)
    2017 - Paul Scruggs (4*, 34th nationally), Elias Harden (3*, 136th nationally)
    2016 - Quentin Goodin (4*, 78th nationally)
    2015 - Nobody
    2014 - JP Macura (4*, 102nd nationally), Edmond Sumner (4*, 106th nationally)
    2013 - Brandon Randolph (4*, 93rd nationally)
    2012 - Semaj Christon (4*, 31st nationally)
    2011 - Dee Davis (4*, 103rd nationally), Dez Wells (4*, 54th nationally)
    2010 - Nobody

That's the guards over the last 10 years, I don't think we're batting even close to less than .300 in terms of our recruits competing at a good level. I got Brandon Randolph, Dahmir Bishop, Elias Harden and I guess Keonte Kennedy. That's 4 out of 11, and Kennedy wasn't highly sought after, that means 7 out of 11 contributed well.

Although this does get off the “practice” theme of this thread.....and that could be because nobody is really hearing anything about what is happening there....I’ll comment on the guards mentioned above.

Other than Scruggs and KyKy is there any guard since JP that we could hope might carry the team offensively? And truthfully, we still don’t know if either of those two players will be able to do that consistently this year, do we? Disregard the stars and rankings for a moment. In a game that has become more and more guard oriented, Xavier has really struggled to find personal that can match up with many of the other guards that have been playing in the BE. That alone can certainly explain much of the struggle that X has had in the last couple of years competing in the BE. They simply haven’t had the horses needed. I’m hopeful that a senior Scruggs, a year older and healthy KyKy, and the new players coming in will be a remedy for that problem. But I’ll have to see it first before I get to excited.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Although this does get off the “practice” theme of this thread.....and that could be because nobody is really hearing anything about what is happening there....I’ll comment on the guards mentioned above.

Other than Scruggs and KyKy is there any guard since JP that we could hope might carry the team offensively? And truthfully, we still don’t know if either of those two players will be able to do that consistently this year, do we? Disregard the stars and rankings for a moment. In a game that has become more and more guard oriented, Xavier has really struggled to find personal that can match up with many of the other guards that have been playing in the BE. That alone can certainly explain much of the struggle that X has had in the last couple of years competing in the BE. They simply haven’t had the horses needed. I’m hopeful that a senior Scruggs, a year older and healthy KyKy, and the new players coming in will be a remedy for that problem. But I’ll have to see it first before I get to excited.
    I do think you have a great point, obviously we don't have the talent or depth of a team like Villanova, but I think we also need to keep in mind what we recruited these guards for. Elias Harden and Keonte Kennedy were supposed to be our outside threats, not really the take over the game type of guy. Q was recruited as distributer and to run the offense I think (I may be wrong here), so it's kind of a grey area here about that. I definitely would love to have basically any of Villanova's guards over the years, or someone like Myles Powell or Markus Howard, but I just don't think we won the right recruiting battles to get those types of players if that makes sense.

IMO there were far to many failures in recruiting by the prior staff, especially when it came to guards. Either they made mistakes in judgement and went after the wrong players or they were out recruited by opposing teams. It still remains to be seen if the last couple of recruiting classes will change this trend. How often the past 10 years have we been told that Xavier needed to play inside-out and to out tough the opposition? Meanwhile players from Marquette, Seton Hall, and Nova were scoring at will against Xavier’s guards and the Xavier guards couldn’t throw the ball into the ocean, let alone make a consistent outside shot.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 10-19-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Seems to be an uncomfortable amount of pessimism here. This "unproven" narrative seems to be the reasoning, and there is certainly some truth to that, considering all the new faces. Obviously ALL freshman are unproven coming into this league and transfers are a crap shoot, but this could easily be the best group of newcomers we've ever had. Even if that's not the case, they will make up one helluva bench.

That aside, looking at what is Big East proven, I would argue that we have the edge on most of the teams in this league. Granted Villanova will be at/near the top, but would anyone here really take Gillespie over Scruggs? All BE frosh Justin Moore is viewed as a can't miss superstar, but surprise, surprise, KyKy Tandy matches his scoring exactly when using the 40 minute/100 possession metrics. Same goes for Z. When factoring in the expected increase in usage, he'll hang nicely with JRE statistically.....he's already proven he can be a high production frontcourt player in this league. Carter? Well chances of him repeating last year is nil.

My optimism is high based on what other teams have coming back. We are, after all, competing with our BE brethren to reach 10+ wins and the dance ticket that goes with it......I love our chances.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 10-20-2020 at 01:20 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Seems ridiculous to me to continue to hold up the Ben Stanley waiver now that practice has started.
    2023 Sweet 16