Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,570
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Katz does not even consider X to be play in worthy. 2 of the play in teams are St Johns and UC. I know we're young, but I think we have a decent shot of making the field. A team with everyone on the same page, better shooting,lots of new talent, some veteran leadership. I think we have a good chance. What say the rest of you ?
    Sorry, but Travis Steele hasn't earned enough cred yet to be given the benefit of the doubt. Last year was very telling. Lots of misssteps.
    He's got work to do.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  2. #52
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Sorry, but Travis Steele hasn't earned enough cred yet to be given the benefit of the doubt. Last year was very telling. Lots of misssteps.
    He's got work to do.
    I still say the loss of Goodin and Marshall is addition by subtraction. They were two dummies, as far as bball IQ. Plus Steele had to play them, but neither of them were on the same page with the other 3 players on the floor. Marshall was talented enough to get away with it. I don't understand why he didn't just sit Goodin from Jan on, and let the chips fall where they may.

  3. #53
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I still say the loss of Goodin and Marshall is addition by subtraction. They were two dummies, as far as bball IQ. Plus Steele had to play them, but neither of them were on the same page with the other 3 players on the floor. Marshall was talented enough to get away with it. I don't understand why he didn't just sit Goodin from Jan on, and let the chips fall where they may.
    Thought the same thing a number of times last season. But, Tandy began season injured (and he was a freshman) so, I guess, that would have left Scruggs and Schrand. Steele has enough players today to not be a hostage to one or two bad apples. And, it is reasonable to assume he has learned a bunch about leading this team----at least I hope so.

    Whether one's expectations are aggressive (like Xuperman) or more modest (like XU80) its clear that Steele is expected to demonstrate improvement in his third year. I do not want to watch another team play in the manner of last year's squad. That was a horrible effort and so different than what X has historically achieved.

    In any case, I'm tired of talking about it. I want the season to start....like tomorrow.

    Plus, now the MOR has appeared on this board and spoken, what more can be said?

  4. #54
    Supporting Member bobbiemcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,851
    Shooting, shooting, shooting. We need a couple of Jamal Murray's.
    This space for rent.

  5. #55
    I like Travis. He seems like a nice guy, an honorable man. It looks like he might have some pretty good recruiting chops (personally and/or his staff). I'm just not really sure I've seen a whole lot more. I'm not saying he can't or he won't. I pray to God and the intersession of St Francis and St. Jude that he will. I just haven't seen it. What I have seen is a coach who lets boneheaded players take the team down a perilous path. I've seen a coach who seemed to be outcoached in games he should win. The Big East means the Big Boys. Travis needs to put on his Big Boy Pants and coach the hell out of this team. This league won't wait for coaches or teams to 'get up to speed'. By the time they get there, other teams have already reloaded and moved on.

    I won't accept mediocrity. Not now, not ever. Not last year, not this year.

    And neither should you.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

  6. #56
    Sophomore Xuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,345
    I agree, Steele has created some palpable "high anxiety" among the fan base but there will be no heat to his seat until after Z and KyKy are gone. If he doesn't pile up a considerable number of post season wins in the next 3 seasons, one would think a change has to be made.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

  7. #57
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    12,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I agree, Steele has created some palpable "high anxiety" among the fan base but there will be no heat to his seat until he returns to the NCAA Tournament and wins a postseason game or two.
    I had to fix that for you. He's not going to get a pass when he missed the NCAAs in 2018-19 and was 50/50 to miss it last year under a non-pandemic year. I know he inherited a mess from Chris Mack, but frankly Year 3 is when most coaches begin to get judged on their own merits.

  8. #58
    Sophomore Xuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    I had to fix that for you. He's not going to get a pass when he missed the NCAAs in 2018-19 and was 50/50 to miss it last year under a non-pandemic year. I know he inherited a mess from Chris Mack, but frankly Year 3 is when most coaches begin to get judged on their own merits.
    I disagree. Full Stop....POST SEASON wins include the Big East Tournament. If Coach Steele can raise a ruckus there, especially if he can cut the nets, he will be well received by the X AD and all of us here. Big Dance success would not trigger a coaching change IMO.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

  9. #59
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    12,025
    That's a fair counterargument when you consider Xavier last won a conference tournament in 2006.

  10. #60
    Sophomore Xuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    That's a fair counterargument when you consider Xavier last won a conference tournament in 2006.
    Just get in 1 or 2 Big East Championship games and Coach Steele is safe as kittens.....anything less makes his trajectory a bit iffy. Its all about conference success IMO.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •