Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    If I’m the road team, I say “it’s on the schedule, LET’S PLAY!” I’d think ONLY the home team would be unhappy about that. So I’m glad Mack has this little dilemma! Let him squirm!
    Well, the downside to this is that you need for coaches to be willing to play you in the future. The UL v UK game isn't that big of a deal because it's a regular series. But a school like Baylor probably isn't going to draw that line in the sand when it comes to their game at Gonzaga this year. They'll probably just agree to schedule it when the fans can come.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I think part of the decision is that there are contracts that involve money with these "buy" games. I doubt a school like IUPUI is going to be very receptive on foregoing a $300k payout if a school like butler says "Sorry... we've only got so many games now so we're sticking with our other commitments with the Big 10, Big 12, our exempt tournament and our home and home against so-and-so power 5 school." IUPUI is likely going to want that payout and does paying them make sense without playing the game and pocketing that W to try and stay above .500 by the end of the year. Those midmajors and small majors need that revenue and they are probably willing to go to court over it since it's not like they cancelled the visit.
    That being said, I'm sure that Fox Sports and ESPN are also saying "hey, we want these Gavitt games or these ACC/Big 10 matchups to go on because we need some content and we're paying out $$ too".
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

No easy answers here. Will be interesting what happens in the next week or so. Wonder when we'll start hearing some details.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

You play the game and move on for crying out loud. This year has been bad enough. Sack up.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    You play the game and move on for crying out loud. This year has been bad enough. Sack up.
    Absolutely. It used to be that the American way was to play the game and rise to the challenge. Now it seems the American way is to check with the lawyers, assess the risk, run the numbers, and then decide. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    Absolutely. It used to be that the American way was to play the game and rise to the challenge. Now it seems the American way is to check with the lawyers, assess the risk, run the numbers, and then decide. Very sad.
    When was this ever not the American way? Getting back to UL v UK, there was about a sixty year period where UK refused to play them. A lot of schools have never wanted to rise to the challenge when they can instead find a way to claim they have nothing to gain.

It is so small and petty.

Just play the game. Every team is going through a sacrifice. UL doesn't want a home UL game with no fans? Tough. Get over it and man up.

Speaking of whiny little (lying) bitches, Arizona is rumored to be looking to dump Gonzaga and Illinois and reschedule for next year. It looks like it’s the good OOC games that are getting dumped and not the buy games.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-28-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    That is pretty good. Well done, Coach Mack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.