Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Number 1 Football Rercruit In the Naiton

If you were 18 years old, the number 1 football recruit in the nation and every school was recruiting you, where would you go? As a purely basketball fan someone asked me this and I surprisingly didn't have an answer.

Grew up a Notre Dame fan
    Really like Ohio State
    Not an Alabama fan by nature
    Would not be interested in going out west for the most part
    Could stay home and shock the world by going to UC
    Florida sounds appealing but man would it be hot down there
    South Carolina may have some appeal
    Balls of Steele!!

Supporting Member
    Lsu, alabama, Auburn, tennessee, ole miss...weather is great and the girls are insanely hot. USC or UCLA would also be an option based on those same reasons.

Ohio State without question.

Austin, Texas. If you’ve been there, no explanation necessary.

Highest bidder

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Austin, Texas. If you’ve been there, no explanation necessary.
    Austin is one of those places I really want to visit, but have never been able to find an excuse to get there. Hopefully some day....

As a high school kid I thought Notre Dame was a dream, being Irish Catholic and all. While at X we had a rugby trip to Notre Dame. I was glad they wanted nothing to do with my ass! Cold little nothing town. If I was the #1 football recruit, they may have let me in. My grades were pretty good, but I was “ordinary” at best by their standards.

Today I realize how weather dependent my happiness is. I don’t mind heat, but I don’t love the Florida programs at this time. I’d consider California schools as long as they paid me more than GO and I could bring my family along. A few of those USC cheerleaders might close the deal!

I admit, I might have been swayed at 17 by the Louisville recruiting approach, but hope I’d be smarter than that.

EDIT: After a little more consideration, UGA would be at or near the top of my list. Great campus and I love Athens. Excellent program. I probably wouldn’t want to live around Alabama or LSU, but I’d certainly check it out, knowing Saban would probably be gone before I finished my college experience.
    Last edited by xu82; 09-12-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Gainesville....FL that is
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Gainesville....FL that is
    Have you been there? I’ve been thru about a half dozen times, stopped for lunch, etc. and it feels like a nothing little town to me, though I’ve never been to a game there. A friend who’s been to many games there says fan support is somewhat apathetic and many of the students come late and leave early because cell reception is weak in the stadium, so they can’t handle it......

Tallahassee is nothing to brag about either, and our son has three degrees from there. I dropped him off before freshman year, then we visited once 5 years later when he was working on his Masters - because we wanted to meet some friends for a football game. He let us buy him dinner. Good times, not a great town. Surprisingly rednecky for the Capital of a major state, but that’s the panhandle for you.

Yes. My son got a full ride there (academics). That was back in the powerhouse Football days. Went to many, many games while living in Orlando. He obviously had a blast there and we loved the bars and restaurants on football weekends. I agree about Athens tho. Went up there a few times with my buddy who was a diehard Dogs fan. Austin is a great town also. Lots of relatives there.
    2023 Sweet 16

I’m sure there was great energy in Gainesville during the heyday. Great fun on home weekends. For that matter, if it were just about the town, I LOVED game weekends in Nashville! UF and the others would come to town for awesome tailgates. I know Vandy isn’t elite, but that’s a great town and I’d have been happy to spend my college years there. Hell, I’d rather be there than Atlanta, but the goal is to have the best of both worlds. A mountain place in NC, and a winter (tax free) place in Sarasota, FL. Not any time soon, but a guy can dream!