Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

College Football 2020

Austin "Let's Go" Peay at Central Arkansas Fighting Scottie Pippens - Saturday 8/29/20 @ 9pm ESPN.

Who you got?

This promises to be the most watched and most gambled FCS game in history.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Who you got?
    I gotta go Peay. And yes, I will both watch and gamble. If someone had a line on that St. X game on national TV tomorrow, I would bet it.

I, for one, am quite looking forward to a football season without Michigan douchebags, insufferable Ohio State, and Kid Rape State.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

So....

What are the odds that the teams who are playing will be able to finish the season?

And

What are the odds that we some sort of player protest or player walk-out at a game this year?

In regards to the second question, I can't help but wonder if that's at least a part of the reason some of the Pac-12 and Big Ten presidents didn't want to play.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I, for one, am quite looking forward to a football season without Michigan douchebags, insufferable Ohio State, and Kid Rape State.
    WVU gets to play for at least one game, so I'm happy enough at this point, a fall without college football would just be strange.

Has anyone noticed what an absolute train wreck the college football TV ratings have been this year? The viewership is literally about half of what it normally is, and that's with fewer games available. When there are 100 games to choose from, the ratings for everyone are typically a little lower. But there are only about five games to choose from, and the ratings are still lousy.

I get that the out of home part of the ratings are going to be really low. There are diehard fans, and then there are a lot of people who like getting together at bars and restaurants to watch games with their friends. Since a lot of that isn't happening, that second group is less likely to watch at home by themselves. But the ratings look like what regular season college basketball games in January look like. It's not too surprising that they're lower, but it is a little surprising that they are this much lower.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Are people finally cutting the cord and watching from other devices? That seems to me more than anything the reason for declining ratings.

As much as I hope that foosball goes away, that can't possibly be the reason as it continues to become more and more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Are people finally cutting the cord and watching from other devices? That seems to me more than anything the reason for declining ratings.

As much as I hope that foosball goes away, that can't possibly be the reason as it continues to become more and more popular.
    That might have something to do with it. People are just ditching their cable and/or satellite to save money.

Maybe they just feel like it doesn't mean anything this year with so many teams not playing?

For whatever reason people aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    That might have something to do with it. People are just ditching their cable and/or satellite to save money.

Maybe they just feel like it doesn't mean anything this year with so many teams not playing?

For whatever reason people aren't watching.
    I definitely think a lot of it is cord cutting, plus it doesn't take into the account of people just finding the stream illegally as well if needed. Personally I love that sports are on as a way to just get away from all the madness, it's a break from reality. Though, I think you make some decent points, I think the entire atmosphere is just different, even watching on TV, it's not the same because the stadium's aren't packed, the crowd noise on TV, it's definitely "less intense," which could drive the average casual fan away.

It was nice to dream for a while...