Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thx.
    2023 Sweet 16

Man, I am really happy to hear Ben Stanley mentioned. I for one am extremely excited at the possibility that he gets his waiver. If he doesn't, I fear that he will go pro somewhere next year and never suit up for X.

Let me go on the record in saying that Stanley is the ultimate wild card IMO. He WILL be a very effective scorer (22 D1 ppg will translate into significant production at any NCAA level). In fact, if he becomes eligible, I can not see how anyone on the roster can keep him out of the starting 5. IF he plays, he will be the difference in getting 10+ BE wins or not.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    "Everybody brings something to the table that impresses me. The first week I was here I gained a lot of respect for Jason Carter," said Wilcher, who's roommates with Jones. "I didn’t know he was that good."
    Maybe he was reading our message board last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Man, I am really happy to hear Ben Stanley mentioned. I for one am extremely excited at the possibility that he gets his waiver. If he doesn't, I fear that he will go pro somewhere next year and never suit up for X.

Let me go on the record in saying that Stanley is the ultimate wild card IMO. He WILL be a very effective scorer (22 D1 ppg will translate into significant production at any NCAA level). In fact, if he becomes eligible, I can not see how anyone on the roster can keep him out of the starting 5. IF he plays, he will be the difference in getting 10+ BE wins or not.
    Stanley might get his waiver. UC's David DeJulius heard today that he'll be immediately eligible. Different players, but it could be a good sign. I'd say Stanley's argument for transferring is stronger than DeJulius' was.

But I'd be cautious about expecting too much. UC's Cane Broome ranked eighth in the country in scoring 23 ppg while at Sacred Heart, but struggled after transferring and not even going up against an impressive PG in Justin Jennifer to win minutes. Part of that was Cronin's style (maybe a lot). But it was also the difference in leagues and competition. I'm sure a lot of Big East players could excel at Hampton.

Stanley, it has been noted, is really bad at defense. Coaches will be demanding that effort before he gets on the floor—or I'd hope so. I agree he'll be a wildcard, and great for depth, especially in practice. Coach Steele found a great opportunity to get a guy who's hungry to impress and has a physique that could produce if he can follow coaching guidance.

Well, my take on Stanley is that either his ego, or those advising him, had him thinking pro ball after last season. No doubt the guy blew up as a soph and completely dominated the competition he was presented with...he's a man among boys.

I'm playing a hunch here but if you look at the abundance of video on him, IMO he will be the biggest difference maker as a transfer since Big Stain.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 08-27-2020 at 10:44 PM.

BTW, it doesn't get much better than a SIRTHOUGHT perspective.....you're due your props man!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Stanley might get his waiver. UC's David DeJulius heard today that he'll be immediately eligible. Different players, but it could be a good sign. I'd say Stanley's argument for transferring is stronger than DeJulius' was.

But I'd be cautious about expecting too much. UC's Cane Broome ranked eighth in the country in scoring 23 ppg while at Sacred Heart, but struggled after transferring and not even going up against an impressive PG in Justin Jennifer to win minutes. Part of that was Cronin's style (maybe a lot). But it was also the difference in leagues and competition. I'm sure a lot of Big East players could excel at Hampton.

Stanley, it has been noted, is really bad at defense. Coaches will be demanding that effort before he gets on the floor—or I'd hope so. I agree he'll be a wildcard, and great for depth, especially in practice. Coach Steele found a great opportunity to get a guy who's hungry to impress and has a physique that could produce if he can follow coaching guidance.
    This is good stuff. Stanley is crazy athletic, so I think that will help him make up for some shortcomings, but i don't think he's going to score at a really high level in the BE. I think he'll benefit from Freemantle's development because I think Zach is going to see more doubles this year. The Cane Broom comparison is a good one but why Broom chose Cincinnati is beyond me. That kid was born to run and gun and he decided to go an offensive system where cracking the 65 point mark was a big deal. Makes no sense.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

If Stanley averages 10 points a game, that is a huge get. More importantly will be rebounding. I will guess he averages 6 boards.
    I don't think Carter is a strong rebounder. He and Fremantle will float to perimeter to launch from 3. We need a center (Miles or Griffin) to stay down low and dominate the glass. Ty Jones is hard to replace as he was the all time best rebounder I have ever seen at X.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    If Stanley averages 10 points a game, that is a huge get. More importantly will be rebounding. I will guess he averages 6 boards.
    I don't think Carter is a strong rebounder. He and Fremantle will float to perimeter to launch from 3. We need a center (Miles or Griffin) to stay down low and dominate the glass. Ty Jones is hard to replace as he was the all time best rebounder I have ever seen at X.
    I'm guessing you're not old enough to have seen Ty Hill play. His hands were the size of a tennis racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post

I doubt a transfer from a low D1 school can 1) start for a high top 45 basketball school and 2) be the leading scorer.
    Odds are he peaks at 9-14 points per game and 6-9 rebounds per game. I hope he averages 35 ppg and 18 rebounds a game but it’s not going to happen. Agree with others about his defense or lack there of. He will not play more than 5 minutes if he doesn’t play defense