Freshman

No basket this year!

Its offical the Pac 12 has canceld basketball for this year! At least until Jan. 1 2021.
    Last edited by basket; 08-12-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Just think of all the players in all the sports at all the schools that were planning on using this year to audition for the pros. Heck not even the pros, also the players who were planning on having their glory senior year. After sacrificing so much all through their youth to devote every waking moment to their sport - then have the rug pulled out from under them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - David Bowers ('95)

Rumors say administrations will let NCAA play in spring. We shall see.

Junior
    I struggle to see the difference between letting students come to campus, go to classrooms, etc. etc.- and not let them play sports. I think if schools (Like Harvard) had all the students stay at home it would make more sense that sports can't be played.

I know Loyola closed all their dorms a couple weeks back. That makes sense to me more than cancelling sports. Seems easier to control a few student athletes over an entire campus population.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I struggle to see the difference between letting students come to campus, go to classrooms, etc. etc.- and not let them play sports. I think if schools (Like Harvard) had all the students stay at home it would make more sense that sports can't be played.
    In my opinion the move to online only learning across the country is coming. Students will not be on campus long. My guess is that universities feared losing money and having students not pay the tuition for online only learning when they could stay home and go somewhere else and save the money. Money for most colleges is due now and I am pretty confident that the switch to online learning only will come within the next two weeks everywhere. If not then these college kids being kids will just start getting it like crazy as they will not practice the things that may help stop the spread. Most are not at serious risk, but they will get it in large numbers this fall. Do I agree with it, not fully but think it’s coming.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    In my opinion the move to online only learning across the country is coming. Students will not be on campus long. My guess is that universities feared losing money and having students not pay the tuition for online only learning when they could stay home and go somewhere else and save the money. Money for most colleges is due now and I am pretty confident that the switch to online learning only will come within the next two weeks everywhere. If not then these college kids being kids will just start getting it like crazy as they will not practice the things that may help stop the spread. Most are not at serious risk, but they will get it in large numbers this fall. Do I agree with it, not fully but think it’s coming.
    I think you are spot on. College kids are going to spread this like wildfire. When I was in college there is no way I would have let a little Pandemic interfere with my partying. Many would likely have taken a 'gap year' if they had known they were signing up to do college online from their parents' house.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I think you are spot on. College kids are going to spread this like wildfire. When I was in college there is no way I would have let a little Pandemic interfere with my partying. Many would likely have taken a 'gap year' if they had known they were signing up to do college online from their parents' house.
    My youngest is a freshman at Miami University this year. They gave students 3 options.

1) start online until late September move-in.
    2) online until 2nd semester
    3) gap year

They had to make their final decision by August 10th. She decided on the late September move-in route. Let’s face it, kids her age and what happened with their senior year, they just want to get their college careers going.

Only down side with Miami’s decision to delay move in, she is now trying to make plans to visit friends at schools who open next week (X, UDump, and OSU). That was a fun conversation and not sure Miami considered this possibility of happening.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    And there it is. North Carolina going all remote. Most will probably follow as money has already been paid.