Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    It’s possible that they finish 3-4, but it’s just as likely in my mind that they could finish 7-8, and as I said in my post the difference could be on made or missed basket, one made or missed defensive stop, or one judgement call by a ref. I’m not the only one saying this either, this seems to be the consensus of all the “experts” that make a living writing about college basketball.

As far as the players being better?........Marshall and Jones were all league players. I certainly hope that the returning players are all improved over what they were last year, and I have high hopes for the freshman (including Miles in that group), but that’s all just potential at this time. They’ve got to show it during games, when it counts. Does X have any sure-fire guaranteed all league players on the roster right now? I’d have to say no. Fremantle might be a pretty safe bet to make an all-league team at some level, but he will have to be better than he was last year in order to do so. No guarantee that happens.

I try to make my expectations based on what it actually IS, and not just on what I WANT it to be.
    I think Scruggs will make all-league to be fair, he had moments where he just looked absolutely incredible last year, I think he'll be more focused on scoring and could have a massive year, especially since Naji and Tyrique are gone. Definitely agree that we should temper expectations with a lot of moving parts, I think we'll have some periods of annoyance and pain like last season. I loved hearing about Odom's athleticism, and also really liked that Scruggs and Johnson have built up a decent relationship. I'm hoping Johnson can bring that perimeter threat, and hopefully Wilcher doesn't have a lot of Freshman growing pains from behind the arc. Because if we don't improve on our perimeter shooting, it's going to be a struggle like last year. Nova has a reasonable chance at being #1 in the country, so they're definitely the top, Creighton is very solid, but after that it's pretty open in my opinion. Just hoping to see some growth, and that we look like a better team towards the end of the season opposed to the beginning (if we have a season that is)..

I hope you’re right about Scruggs, and I certainly hope the freshman can shoot like they are said to be capable of doing. IF....BIG IF.....those thing happen, then yes it is certainly possible that X challenges for A top spot in the BE. We would ALL love to see that happen. But I certainly don’t think that it is reasonable to EXPECT those things to happen OR to we should be surprised if all those things don’t happen. Disappointed? Sure. I found last year to be a disappointment from beginning to end. But half way through the season I no longer found it to be surprising, nor did I find what happened at the end surprising. The team lacked shooting ability. Everyone could see it. Fans, opponents, commentators, everyone. Perhaps this years team will not have last years weakness, but for now that remains just a hope.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Let me ask you this question. If Xavier finished 7-8 in the Big East, would that meet your expectations and think the team had a successful season?
    They will play 20 games if the full conference schedule is played. Also, they have played 18 Conference games every year since joining the Big East.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

I think this is a rebuild year. I would like to see:

1. An identity emerge
    2. Sound basketball with much better discipline
    3. Better perimeter shooting
    4. More cohesiveness and teamwork and less individual play
    5. Finish in the Top 5 of Big East
    6. NCAA birth

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

1. An identity emerge
    6. NCAA birth
    The last two seasons have been rebuilding years. This should not be another rebuilding season. I agree with everything on your list but we should be finishing top 4 in the Big East.

Junior
    What? The last two years was still "core-4" group. Not rebuilding at all...the problem was, the "core-4" just didn't mesh well at all. We are going to be led by a very good Sr- then two sophomores, a couple transfers and some freshman. Thats the definition of rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    What? The last two years was still "core-4" group. Not rebuilding at all...the problem was, the "core-4" just didn't mesh well at all. We are going to be led by a very good Sr- then two sophomores, a couple transfers and some freshman. Thats the definition of rebuilding
    exactly, we have like 7-8 new players in the roster this year don't we?

Miles
    3 frosh
    Ramsey hasn't played....
    2 or possibly 3 new transfers

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    The last two seasons have been rebuilding years. This should not be another rebuilding season. I agree with everything on your list but we should be finishing top 4 in the Big East.
    “should” and “will” are 2 different things. Just because you think that in the 3rd year of a coaches tenure that his team “should” be doing something, is no reason to believe that it “will” happen. It doesn’t work that way. Reality doesn’t care what you want to happen, or what you think needs to be happening, it only cares what IS and what ISN’T. What this team IS, is young and inexperienced. What this team IS, is unproven. What this team ISN’T, is a favorite to finish in the top 4 of the BE by any preseason list that I have seen.

You keep saying that they “should” finish in the top 4.....but do you really believe they WILL? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

1. An identity emerge
    6. NCAA birth

Couldn’t state it any better.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    They will play 20 games if the full conference schedule is played. Also, they have played 18 Conference games every year since joining the Big East.
    You would think that xuphan, such a big "fan" and one who claims to be a season ticketholder, would know how many league games are played in the BEast. Just more evidence that this "fan" is really just a pathetic troll.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)