Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    I'm guessing that we do go undefeated this season, sort of like Xavier's football team which hasn't lost a game in over 35 years.
    I think you're on to something here.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    After reading that article, I wonder if we will lose a game this year.
    I kind of got the same feeling after reading that article. It definitely gets you excited for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I kind of got the same feeling after reading that article. It definitely gets you excited for the upcoming season.
    The next time we play, whenever that may be, has to be more enjoyable to watch than last season. That was a tough one for me, but I am optimistic about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    The next time we play, whenever that may be, has to be more enjoyable to watch than last season. That was a tough one for me, but I am optimistic about the future.
    It was a tough one for everyone watching.

But I do caution everyone to temper your excitement with the realization that there A LOT of new parts that will need to be worked into the mix. Many of those parts are not very experienced too. It will be work in progress and X may well lose some games to teams that are as talented, but are more experienced. I especially expect this the earlier in the season (whenever or whatever that may be) more so than later in the season. I might be forgetting someone but as far as I can remember Scruggs is the only player on then roster that has played even one NCAA tournament game. This is an EXTREMELY young and inexperienced roster. They could well be a year away from jelling. A mid-pack BE finish and making the NCAA tourney would have to be considered a successful season for this group, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

But I do caution everyone to temper your excitement with the realization that there A LOT of new parts that will need to be worked into the mix. Many of those parts are not very experienced too. It will be work in progress and X may well lose some games to teams that are as talented, but are more experienced. I especially expect this the earlier in the season (whenever or whatever that may be) more so than later in the season. I might be forgetting someone but as far as I can remember Scruggs is the only player on then roster that has played even one NCAA tournament game. This is an EXTREMELY young and inexperienced roster. They could well be a year away from jelling. A mid-pack BE finish and making the NCAA tourney would have to be considered a successful season for this group, at least in my opinion.
    And I’m fine with all that. My pain was not as much in the results as in the angst I had when watching. I don’t want to lose, but I DO want to play better and smarter team basketball. I think we will do that.

Sophomore

I respect your opinion but this is exactly what we were last year. We should have the talent to be a top 4 team in the big east.

I respect your opinion but this is exactly what we were last year. We should have the talent to be a top 4 team in the big east.
    Top 2...Nova and Creighton

Bottom 3....DePaul, St. John, GT

That leaves everyone else fighting for the middle, including X. There is very little to separate any of the “pack” from each other and finishing anywhere from 3-8. A difference in a couple of places may come down to one game, one missed FT, one made defensive stop, one bad call by a ref. Forget about just relying on talent alone. Teamwork and smart play mean as much or even more, and X deficiencies in these areas must be taken into account until they prove otherwise.

Sophomore
    Top 2...Nova and Creighton

Bottom 3....DePaul, St. John, GT

That leaves everyone else fighting for the middle, including X. There is very little to separate any of the “pack” from each other and finishing anywhere from 3-8. A difference in a couple of places may come down to one game, one missed FT, one made defensive stop, one bad call by a ref. Forget about just relying on talent alone. Teamwork and smart play mean as much or even more, and X deficiencies in these areas must be taken into account until they prove otherwise.
    I agee that Nova and Creighton are the top 2. That leaves the third and fourth spots. In my opinion, Xavier should be finishing in one of these spots. We have enough talent to do so and it will all come down to In game coaching decisions by Steele. This is his third full year in charge with his own players. We really shouldn’t be expecting a mid table finish this far into his coaching career. Players and coaching should be way better than they were last season.

I agee that Nova and Creighton are the top 2. That leaves the third and fourth spots. In my opinion, Xavier should be finishing in one of these spots. We have enough talent to do so and it will all come down to In game coaching decisions by Steele. This is his third full year in charge with his own players. We really shouldn’t be expecting a mid table finish this far into his coaching career. Players and coaching should be way better than they were last season.
    It’s possible that they finish 3-4, but it’s just as likely in my mind that they could finish 7-8, and as I said in my post the difference could be on made or missed basket, one made or missed defensive stop, or one judgement call by a ref. I’m not the only one saying this either, this seems to be the consensus of all the “experts” that make a living writing about college basketball.

As far as the players being better?........Marshall and Jones were all league players. I certainly hope that the returning players are all improved over what they were last year, and I have high hopes for the freshman (including Miles in that group), but that’s all just potential at this time. They’ve got to show it during games, when it counts. Does X have any sure-fire guaranteed all league players on the roster right now? I’d have to say no. Fremantle might be a pretty safe bet to make an all-league team at some level, but he will have to be better than he was last year in order to do so. No guarantee that happens.

I try to make my expectations based on what it actually IS, and not just on what I WANT it to be.

Sophomore
    It’s possible that they finish 3-4, but it’s just as likely in my mind that they could finish 7-8, and as I said in my post the difference could be on made or missed basket, one made or missed defensive stop, or one judgement call by a ref. I’m not the only one saying this either, this seems to be the consensus of all the “experts” that make a living writing about college basketball.

As far as the players being better?........Marshall and Jones were all league players. I certainly hope that the returning players are all improved over what they were last year, and I have high hopes for the freshman (including Miles in that group), but that’s all just potential at this time. They’ve got to show it during games, when it counts. Does X have any sure-fire guaranteed all league players on the roster right now? I’d have to say no. Fremantle might be a pretty safe bet to make an all-league team at some level, but he will have to be better than he was last year in order to do so. No guarantee that happens.

I try to make my expectations based on what it actually IS, and not just on what I WANT it to be.
    Let me ask you this question. If Xavier finished 7-8 in the Big East, would that meet your expectations and think the team had a successful season?