Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How hard is it to make the Final 4?

The NCAA tourney expanded to 64 teams in 1985. Thats 35 years ago. That means there have been a total of 140 Final 4 participants over that time.

There are around 350 NCAA D1 teams. So at MOST 40% of the teams could have made the Final 4. But we know so teams have made it multiple times.

I wondering how many different Schools have made it? What's your guess?

I wonder how many of the total spots were filled by the top 5 teams with the most Final 4's? Any guesses on this one?

Same EXACT thing can be said about #1 seeds. How many different teams have pulled that off?

I'll be researching this over the next day. Will be interesting to see if any quick guesses come close to the actual answers....

It’s pretty damn hard. I’ve been paying attention.

It’s either blue bloods, or lightning in a bottle for the most part. We’ve been good enough at times, but it never bounced our way. I’ll be curious to see what you come up with.

I'm going with 45 schools have made a Final 4 since 1985....total guess

Supporting Member
    Without the google machine, I'm going to guess 40 and I'm going to immediately go google this now :).

How many big east teams? 7?

Nova
    Georgetown
    St John's
    Butler (gross)
    Uconn
    Providence
    Seton hall

Ones who havent: x, marquette (they have but I dont think after 85 unless I'm forgetting something), creighton, depaul (same as marquette)

Supporting Member
    Forgot marquette made it in 03 with wade...for some reason, thought they only made the elite eight.

Great, now I'm depressed...basically everyone has made the final four in the big east besides us and creighton

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Without the google machine, I'm going to guess 40 and I'm going to immediately go google this now :).

How many big east teams? 7?

Nova
    Georgetown
    St John's
    Butler (gross)
    Uconn
    Providence
    Seton hall

Ones who havent: x, marquette (they have but I dont think after 85 unless I'm forgetting something), creighton, depaul (same as marquette)
    You forgot about the Dwayne Wade Marquette team. *missed your correction

I feel a bit cursed as I cheer for two of the most successful teams without a final 4. (Xavier and Missouri)
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I'm going with 45 schools have made a Final 4 since 1985....total guess
    I’ll go with 40. I think it is a little less than that.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Forgot marquette made it in 03 with wade...for some reason, thought they only made the elite eight.

Great, now I'm depressed...basically everyone has made the final four in the big east besides us and creighton
    Crazy how many big East teams have made it to the final four. Hopefully our time is coming soon.

My guess is 95 teams.

BTW, your number of 140 possible teams is 4 too high, since we didn't have a final four in 2020.
    Last edited by sirthought; 08-03-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    My guess is 95 teams.

BTW, your number of 140 possible teams is 4 too high, since we didn't have a final four in 2020.
    BTW, You should make sure you are right, before you tell somebody that they are wrong....