Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Recruits

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I think Jones is good but the reason he is not rated higher is his size. Drew Lavender did well for that size. Jones is a fast point guard that can shoot and score. Would love McMillan but think he goes to Louisville or KY if they offer. Probably one reason Ohio State never offered Jones is they already have a 4 star PG committed for 22 and two other guards also committed. Had they missed on the PG they would have offered Jones in all likelihood.
    I get what you are saying...if Jones was 6’e he’d be rated higher but he’s not so it’s kind of a non starter. Jones is not rated that because of his size, lavender was about 5’7 and a mcd all American. He’s rated that because that is his skill level.

Odom might be 6’0 and was a top 60 recruit.
    Last edited by Xville; 02-23-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Sophomore
    I think Jones is good but the reason he is not rated higher is his size. Drew Lavender did well for that size. Jones is a fast point guard that can shoot and score. Would love McMillan but think he goes to Louisville or KY if they offer. Probably one reason Ohio State never offered Jones is they already have a 4 star PG committed for 22 and two other guards also committed. Had they missed on the PG they would have offered Jones in all likelihood.
    I disagree about the rankings part. Drew Lavender was a 5 start McDonalds All American so I think there are other concerns to Jones game other than size. I think Paul’s recruiting will be very similar to Branham. Xavier will be in the mix but Paul is looking for a “bigger” program to offer him before he commits. I think Paul will be Louisville bound before it is all said and done.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I disagree about the rankings part. Drew Lavender was a 5 start McDonalds All American so I think there are other concerns to Jones game other than size. I think Paul’s recruiting will be very similar to Branham. Xavier will be in the mix but Paul is looking for a “bigger” program to offer him before he commits. I think Paul will be Louisville bound before it is all said and done.
    Louisville has offered....they have a 4 star pg coming in next year....wonder if that is why he hasn't committed there, or if he is waiting for a Kentucky (seems to be a little lower ranked than what they typically go for at this point).

It does look like of the ones xavier has offered, jones is most likely going to be the pg that X gets. 22 I think is a pretty crucial recruiting class for Steele and the X program, so I hope they can make some moves.
    Last edited by Xville; 02-23-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Pretty much agree with what you are saying. Osu has 3 guards committed for 22 already, yes only one PG, but 3 guards none the less.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I get what you are saying...if Jones was 6’e he’d be rated higher but he’s not so it’s kind of a non starter. Jones is not rated that because of his size, lavender was about 5’7 and a mcd all American. He’s rated that because that is his skill level.

Odom might be 6’0 and was a top 60 recruit.
    I don’t know. His skill level looks pretty good to me. Maybe it’s due to not playing AAU in the spring, not sure. As for rankings, St. John’s freshman PG was ranked like 280 and he seems to be doing just fine. I will take a quick PG who can break his guy down and also bury a three any day. I would love to land McMillian, but if not this guy seems like he would be a take.

Supporting Member
    I don’t know. His skill level looks pretty good to me. Maybe it’s due to not playing AAU in the spring, not sure. As for rankings, St. John’s freshman PG was ranked like 280 and he seems to be doing just fine. I will take a quick PG who can break his guy down and also bury a three any day. I would love to land McMillian, but if not this guy seems like he would be a take.
    Fair points, and heck Gillespie was in I think the 200s as well and he is more than capable. 2022 is pretty crucial for x to restock the pipeline so hope they can hit on a few

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    According to the Verbal Commits site, Xavier has 38 offers out there right now for 2022 kids (and a few for 2023 already too!).

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/xavier
    I know stars aren't the be-all-to-end-all (which is basically what you say when you can't get any) but it is interesting that Xavier has offered a few fives, several fours and almost all the rest twos. What happened to all the 3* prospects?
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I know stars aren't the be-all-to-end-all (which is basically what you say when you can't get any) but it is interesting that Xavier has offered a few fives, several fours and almost all the rest twos. What happened to all the 3* prospects?
    I don’t think verbal commits is the best sources for player rankings. I do like that they have DII schools so I can follow my Findlay Oilers.

I don’t think verbal commits is the best sources for player rankings. I do like that they have DII schools so I can follow my Findlay Oilers.
    VC almost never gives anyone as many stars as others do. I really pay little or no attention to stars and rankings normally, and especially this year as there has been almost no in person viewing of players. There are going to be a lot of swings and misses on players, and I would also expect a lot of transfers in a year or so. Coaches are giving scholarship offers without ever seeing a player actually play in person and players are choosing schools that they have never even visited. Let’s hope that the summer tournaments can happen this year and that players can once again make school visits.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    VC almost never gives anyone as many stars as others do. I really pay little or no attention to stars and rankings normally, and especially this year as there has been almost no in person viewing of players. There are going to be a lot of swings and misses on players, and I would also expect a lot of transfers in a year or so. Coaches are giving scholarship offers without ever seeing a player actually play in person and players are choosing schools that they have never even visited. Let’s hope that the summer tournaments can happen this year and that players can once again make school visits.
    It's not a comment necessarily about the accuracy or inaccuracy about the point/star system. Those that get them - crow about it, those that don't, say, "Don't put too much stock in them." I don't follow recruiting closely enough to know diddly-squat either way. I watched way too many highly rated recruits say X is in their "final 2 or 3" and go elsewhere anyway, and trying to get into the mind of any post-pubescent prima donna is a lesson in futility that leads to early onset of a wide variety on maladies from the heartbreak of psoriasis to to seeing yellow toothed gnomes in your jellybean patch.

I just thought it was odd/interesting/curious that out of all of those offers the distribution would almost entirely skip the 3s. One might expect that to be the majority.

Like I said, what do I know...I just work here.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.