Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Recruits

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    If you're talking GCL North, that makes more sense. Sounds as if there is some pedigree there and should have good fundamental skills for any position coming in. Yes, if next year he finds himself at a position he is more likely to play at the next level and the rest of the league is at their usual high level to really show that potential (or not), the question is, how early do you pull the trigger? I would expect, from what I am hearing here, that other higher level programs are waiting it out too. That does not inspire much confidence. He may want to take an offer in hand (MAC as mentioned) before better offers may (or may not - which is the key) materialize. Or he may take the first higher level offer that comes his way, which returns to the question, how soon do you pull the trigger?
    According to 24/7 Xavier, along with uc and wvu have already offered.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    If you're talking GCL North, that makes more sense. Sounds as if there is some pedigree there and should have good fundamental skills for any position coming in. Yes, if next year he finds himself at a position he is more likely to play at the next level and the rest of the league is at their usual high level to really show that potential (or not), the question is, how early do you pull the trigger? I would expect, from what I am hearing here, that other higher level programs are waiting it out too. That does not inspire much confidence. He may want to take an offer in hand (MAC as mentioned) before better offers may (or may not - which is the key) materialize. Or he may take the first higher level offer that comes his way, which returns to the question, how soon do you pull the trigger?
    He has already been offered by West Virginia, UC and Xavier and will probably get an offer from Indiana and Virginia Tech soon. Someone must see something in him.

All-Conference
    I've seen him play multiple times at Moeller. Dante Jackson is an interesting comparison. If I remember, Dante was a prolific scorer in HS. Mahaffey is far from that. He's very long and athletic, and often guarded the opposing team's best player. But I didn't see much offensive game from him at least in the games I saw. In fact, he rarely took a shot if it wasn't a put back or something in transition where he could use his athleticism. I have no clue if he can shoot from the perimeter because he never did.

Granted, these were games on his high school team, and he kind of played a role - not sure how he plays with his AAU squad. Would seem to have the ability to be productive in an open court style with his athleticism. Also thought he could have dominated when he wanted to, but he seemed kind of bored.

I guess Mahaffey would be a decent gamble, but if you want to get a good feel for 2022-23, here is the most current info on where X stands on several key prospects. Posted just 7hrs ago.

https://247sports.com/college/xavier...lan-166422561/

I know that Steele is putting max effort in snagging either McMillan or Jones as the PG for the near future. There has been a decent amount of info out there that X has much invested, so if we whiff on both it would be a major disappointment.

I have a strong feeling that Paul McMillan IV is going to be something special at the next level, and X has a pretty good grip on him for now, but his list of high D1 interest is growing by the day. He is playing for Go Hard Cincinnati, a start up AAU squad put together by his father, featuring lots of top local talent. (Rayvon Griffith is McD AA good).

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...als-165754324/

Interesting to see 6'9" Reed Bailey made his official visit yesterday. He will probably end up at X.....not much high D1 competition so far.

I'm going to assume the Cintas event is closed to the general public, BUT is there any chance one of our connected board members here can scout this thing for us tomorrow?
    Last edited by Xuperman; 06-11-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I guess Mahaffey would be a decent gamble, but if you want to get a good feel for 2022-23, here is the most current info on where X stands on several key prospects. Posted just 7hrs ago.

https://247sports.com/college/xavier...lan-166422561/

I know that Steele is putting max effort in snagging either McMillan or Jones as the PG for the near future. There has been a decent amount of info out there that X has much invested, so if we whiff on both it would be a major disappointment.

I have a strong feeling that Paul McMillan IV is going to be something special at the next level. X has a pretty good grip on him for now but his list of high D1 interest is growing by the day. He is playing for Go Hard Cincinnati, a start up AAU squad put together by his father, featuring lots of top local talent. (Rayvon Griffith is McD AA good).

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...als-165754324/

Interesting to see 6'9" Reed Bailey made his official visit yesterday. He will probably end up at X.....not much high D1 competition so far.

I'm going to assume the Cintas event is closed to the general public but is there any chance one of our connected board members here can scout this thing for us tomorrow?
    I don’t get the feeling Xavier is pushing for McMillan that much. I think they are recruiting Jones much harder. I am not a big fan of McMillans game. Think he has been more hype but doesn’t do a ton that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I don’t get the feeling Xavier is pushing for McMillan that much. I think they are recruiting Jones much harder. I am not a big fan of McMillans game. Think he has been more hype but doesn’t do a ton that I have seen.
    You probably take the guy that commits first because you're definitely not getting both.

FYI, McMillan has been on major college radar since 8th grade. He exclusively played 17U circuts in AAU as a Soph winning at least 1 tourney MVP in the process. Xavier started a relationship with him early and it has only intensified. Fact is, he was arguably one of the top 2/3 players in the area last year as a Junior.....no telling what kind of scorched earth mode he'll been in this year. He's 100% legit.

Coach Steele took the time to personally congratulate McMillan immediately after Woodward won their conference championship last year...that speaks volumes. Besides, everything thing I've read on Paul always has X mentioned in high regard. As far as hype goes, you tend to get that when you show elite skill in all facets while averaging 28 ppg....breaking many an opposing ankle along the way. Not to mention, the epic slugfest vs Rayvon Griffith in the Regionals immediately gained local legend status.

If the truth be known, I'm guessing Paul is our top target. Problem is, he IS going to take it to another level going forward and most likely end up SW Ohio POY and a 1st team All State selection. Yes......We want him. Of course the Big Time competition will certainly intensify and our grip will probably loosen a bit, so if he doesn't end up a Musketeer let's hope Jones is still there.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 06-11-2021 at 10:12 PM.

You probably take the guy that commits first because you're definitely not getting both.

FYI, McMillan has been on major college radar since 8th grade. He exclusively played 17U circuts in AAU as a Soph winning at least 1 tourney MVP in the process. Xavier started a relationship with him early and it has only intensified. Fact is, he was arguably one of the top 2/3 players in the area last year as a Junior.....no telling what kind of scorched earth mode he'll been in this year. He's 100% legit.

Coach Steele took the time to personally congratulate McMillan immediately after Woodward won their conference championship last year...that speaks volumes. Besides, everything thing I've read on Paul always has X mentioned in high regard. As far as hype goes, you tend to get that when you show elite skill in all facets while averaging 28 ppg....breaking many an opposing ankle along the way. Not to mention, the epic slugfest vs Rayvon Griffith in the Regionals immediately gained local legend status.

If the truth be known, I'm guessing Paul is our top target. Problem is, he IS going to take it to another level going forward and most likely end up SW Ohio POY and a 1st team All State selection. Yes......We want him. Of course the Big Time competition will certainly intensify and our grip will probably loosen a bit, so if he doesn't end up a Musketeer let's hope Jones is still there.
    I understand what you are saying but from the outside it looks like Xavier is prioritizing Jones. He is visiting twice this month and I think they want to lock him up. UC wants him bad too. Interesting that UC has offered Jones but they are in wait to see mode on McMillan. That’s telling to me as well. Travis likes everything under the sun that is posted about Jones on Twitter and not Paul, so that is also telling. I would say in my opinion that Paul has a less than 5% chance to end up at Xavier. I hope we get Jones. That kid will be a stud.
    Last edited by xavierj; 06-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.

No doubt! Let's hope Jones takes his second visit and leaves Coach Steele with a freshly signed LOI. Check the PG box and focus on beefing up the frontcourt.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    No doubt! Let's hope Jones takes his second visit and leaves Coach Steele with a freshly signed LOI. Check the PG box and focus on beefing up the frontcourt.
    No LOI's until fall, October I think. But a verbal would be nice.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Section 7 tournaments are being played this weekend. Any word about where our coaches are looking? I am going to hit up the one here on Saturday.