Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I never imagined, last March when all of us were speculating about the coming season, that COVID would still be an issue. But, point taken. Lots of uncertainty remains and I'm hoping we have a legitimate full season.

The last two additions , as of now, must sit out this year. Still, with so much talent, I have to think this team needs to play way more up tempo than last year. Steele has recruited well but he could lose that talent if he doesn't find a way to use it. The team has, now I think, four legitimate ball handlers, four or five legitimate (on paper) three point shooters and if Miles and Ramsey are ready to go, four or five legitimate rebounders. Hopefully, they work their way into the lineup, exhibit patience, play decently, don't get homesick, achieve academically, avoid major injury, and Steele gives them some room to show their stuff. A lot to ask..........

With so many underclassmen, there will likely be mistakes aplenty. Still, this team could be exciting to watch. I hope we all get to watch them.
    I was curious to see what everyone thought Ben Stanley’s best position would be? The knock on him seems to be that he doesn’t play defense and it’s a great 3 point shooter. He is a very good slasher and is a great athlete. Do you see him playing more of the 3 or 4 position at X

Thought I would post some video for a visual introduction. Seems like a personable young man.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRj6QsjRig

You have to be impressed with what's in his offensive tool box. Yes, he loves to dunk (and looks instinctively in position to do so), but he is scoring from everywhere AND in a variety of ways. Looks to be a natural lefty but man he's silky smooth with the ball coming off his right hand when needed. I am most surprised with his handle. Not only can he comfortably run the break but in the half court his cross overs, spin moves, stepbacks, Euro-step all seem really fluid in the flow with a beautiful mid range shot. Also, notice how he seems to be the first Pirate up the floor on the break, so I don't think effort will be a problem.

All indications are that a waiver will be given (I think I read somewhere he was a freshman red shirt) so he should be ready to contribute immediately.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=verzjSEZCpI
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I am a positive person BUT this much talent for each position just drops a player's minutes by 5-8 minutes. Scruggs and Carter will play the most minutes but everyone else looks to split the minutes among 10 eligible players. X next spring will likely lose 2 players to transfer because is not happy with minutes.
    I would expect Carter to play less minutes this year, particularly if he puts up similar offensive numbers. I hope though that he will be Travis Taylor part two.

And on that note, if Stanley is eligible then X will have 12 guys on scholarship who are eligible. It could be tough for some of these guys to find meaningful minutes, although one of those 12 is Daniel Ramsey, who I wonder will ever play because of his bad knees.
    Last edited by XU 87; 07-31-2020 at 12:27 PM.

This dude is intriguing to me.

I tried to research his recruiting rankings coming out of HS, and ran across an article where he could have been part of the 2016 class, but instead reclassified to 2017. I never could locate any type of actual recruit ranking or "number of stars" or whatever. Ultimately, he was basically "Hampton level" talent. And then he sits out a year as a redshirt. And then he doesn't really play that much in his Redshirt Freshman season (10 mpg), and then suddenly as a Sophomore he was basically unstoppable. Suddenly he became on of the hottest transfers on the market. What a ride for this guy!

I definitely want to see if his game translates to the BE. He doesn't really take 3's (often), and he shot 57% from the field and would rank 5th among 60 former XU players in getting to the FT line per minute. So, he's an absolute BEAST inside.....against Hamptons opponents.

At 6'6", can this translate? The BE has a gang of 7 footers in the league, and these aren't the stiff clumsy 7 footers. These are the glass cleaning, shot blocking NBA aspiring type.

Obviously this guy was a late bloomer. We've had our share of these kind of players over the years, so my hopes are high. Is he still developing? is there still some ceiling? Even if he's fully developed, he could be productive in the BE.

He's spoken about having NBA aspirations. I assume he realizes the list of inside player that are 6'6" is pretty short. He must know that developing a reliable 3 pt shot is simply a "must" for him to have any shot at the NBA. If he shows up next year as a 3 point threat AND with the ability to do damage on the inside.....watch out.

really like this pickup.

On a related note, I think XU has found a real niche in the transfer market. we have had VERY few transfers that didn't work out. We always seem to get at least one productive year from them...as opposed to many incoming freshmen who just flame out after a year or 2. I'd like to see 3 transfers on the roster in most years (1 as a senior, 1 as a junior, and 1 sitting out).

Quick List of Transfers, broken into groups:
    Key contributors- Hankins, Stainbrook, Lavender, Crawford, Myles, Thornton, CJ, McLean, T Taylor, Kanter, Massey, Sears,
    Role Players- Andre Walker, Philmore, Abell, Gaston, Bernard, Castlin, Welage, Moore, Carter, A Taylor
    Busts- Obi Harris, Desmond Walker, maybe 1 or 2 more guys from 20 years ago....
    Last edited by MHettel; 07-31-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    This dude is intriguing to me.

I tried to research his recruiting rankings coming out of HS, and ran across an article where he could have been part of the 2016 class, but instead reclassified to 2017. I never could locate any type of actual recruit ranking or "number of stars" or whatever. Ultimately, he was basically "Hampton level" talent. And then he sits out a year as a redshirt. And then he doesn't really play that much in his Redshirt Freshman season (10 mpg), and then suddenly as a Sophomore he was basically unstoppable. Suddenly he became on of the hottest transfers on the market. What a ride for this guy!

I definitely want to see if his game translates to the BE. He doesn't really take 3's (often), and he shot 57% from the field and would rank 5th among 60 former XU players in getting to the FT line per minute. So, he's an absolute BEAST inside.....against Hamptons opponents.

At 6'6", can this translate? The BE has a gang of 7 footers in the league, and these aren't the stiff clumsy 7 footers. These are the glass cleaning, shot blocking NBA aspiring type.

Obviously this guy was a late bloomer. We've had our share of these kind of players over the years, so my hopes are high. Is he still developing? is there still some ceiling? Even if he's fully developed, he could be productive in the BE.

He's spoken about having NBA aspirations. I assume he realizes the list of inside player that are 6'6" is pretty short. He must know that developing a reliable 3 pt shot is simply a "must" for him to have any shot at the NBA. If he shows up next year as a 3 point threat AND with the ability to do damage on the inside.....watch out.

really like this pickup.

On a related note, I think XU has found a real niche in the transfer market. we have had VERY few transfers that didn't work out. We always seem to get at least one productive year from them...as opposed to many incoming freshmen who just flame out after a year or 2. I'd like to see 3 transfers on the roster in most years (1 as a senior, 1 as a junior, and 1 sitting out).

Quick List of Transfers, broken into groups:
    Key contributors- Hankins, Stainbrook, Lavender, Crawford, Myles, Thornton, CJ, McLean, T Taylor, Kanter, Massey, Sears,
    Role Players- Andre Walker, Philmore, Abell, Gaston, Bernard, Castlin, Welage, Moore, Carter, A Taylor
    Busts- Obi Harris, Desmond Walker, maybe 1 or 2 more guys from 20 years ago....
    So what you're saying is he scored 22ppg in what could have been his Junior year.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    So what you're saying is he scored 22ppg in what could have been his Junior year.
    If he could have been in the class of 2016-17, wouldn't last season have been his senior year?

I guess what I'm saying is that 8 months ago, given his HS and collegiate career up to that point, he might have been just consider another dude that was a marginal college athlete. His last season just doesn't align to the story of his career up to that point.

Its interesting to me. Hopefully he was just under coached and hadn't quite filled out physically. Who knows?

But a good get in my opinion, and hopefully he's productive.

Junior year scholastically...sophomore year eligibility wise. He took a red shirt year as a freshman. Thus he has 2 more years of college eligibility, BUT if he isn’t granted a waiver and allowed to play right away this season, he will have to take a transfer sit-out year and will have only ONE year of eligibility left after that. Have to feel that Steele is pretty confident that he will get that waiver or he wouldn’t have offered him a scholarship. However there is no rhyme or reason for what the NCAA decides to do, so guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that 8 months ago, given his HS and collegiate career up to that point, he might have been just consider another dude that was a marginal college athlete. His last season just doesn't align to the story of his career up to that point.

Its interesting to me. Hopefully he was just under coached and hadn't quite filled out physically. Who knows?

But a good get in my opinion, and hopefully he's productive.
    Bottom line- he could have some big upside. I like it.