Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here’s another possibility to consider....

If COLLEGE BB doesn’t happen this year?

What happens to the graduate players from this year? Are they granted another year of eligibility? What about the underclassmen? Will this hear count toward their 4 years of eligibility? Would roster size be increased? Scruggs and Carter have already been in college for several years. Carter already has one undergraduate degree and will have his masters after this year. Does he work toward a different degree? A doctors? What about a player like Scruggs? If told that there is no college ball this year, does he immediately turn pro and hope to play somewhere this year?

Certainly a lot of unknowns at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Here’s another possibility to consider....

If COLLEGE BB doesn’t happen this year?

What happens to the graduate players from this year? Are they granted another year of eligibility? What about the underclassmen? Will this hear count toward their 4 years of eligibility? Would roster size be increased? Scruggs and Carter have already been in college for several years. Carter already has one undergraduate degree and will have his masters after this year. Does he work toward a different degree? A doctors? What about a player like Scruggs? If told that there is no college ball this year, does he immediately turn pro and hope to play somewhere this year?

Certainly a lot of unknowns at this point.
    I imagine if no profesional ball, then no college ball. This is a big pause for athletes. Back up plan? Get in the classroom and earn a marketable major to go hustle up a living.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I imagine if no profesional ball, then no college ball. This is a big pause for athletes. Back up plan? Get in the classroom and earn a marketable major to go hustle up a living.
    That's exactly what I was saying to someone the other day. If they can't count on organized ball, then they should take advantage of the classroom while they can. He argued the opposite, naturally, saying that if they really want to go pro eventually they should drop out of school, sign with a manager and start working full time on their body and skill set like a full time job so they are in shape once things kick up again.

I think this is going to be an even steeper uphill slog for new guys wanting to enter professional sports and they may as well be prepared if that doesn't come through.

I can see both sides of the argument.

On the one hand, an athletes sweet spot when they are at their peak physically is limited by time. It’s important to many that they do all they can to reach their potential. For some, that means putting a lot of other things on the back burner. We often applaud athletes that are totally dedicated to their sport, Who sacrifice things and put in the extra work necessary to become as good as they can.

On the other hand, we tell them that even if they reach their full potential, put in extra work, make sacrifices, and totally dedicate themselves to becoming better, they still only have a very slim chance of actually playing ball professionally. So they better have a backup plan. Go to school, study hard, get a degree, get a job, make a career. But giving up something that you’ve spent years doing and really love is HARD. It happens for every athlete at some point, but you want to do it with no regrets and on your own terms, with no 2nd guessing.

I’ll only say that there is no “right” way to go for everyone, and someone in their early 20’s can never really know what the future holds for them. It’s a very tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Just listened to the latest Eye on College Basketball. The second half hour of the show was about the Big East, coaches and teams and their 5 year projections. According to Parrish and Norlander, all the coaches, except, GTown, DePaul, St John's, and Marquette will be at those schools in 5 years. Their reasoning is Ewing , DePaul, and Johnnie's coach get fired, and Wojo gets the Duke job or gets fired. The second part of the segment was to rate the 11 programs over the next 5 years. You folks aren't gonna like this, I know I didn't. 1 Nova, 2 UConn, 3 Seton Hall 4 Creighton 5 Prov, 6 Butler 7 Marq 8 X, 9 GT, 10 StJ, 11 DePaul. No quarrel with 1&2, but even not being biased, how is X not in the top 5 ? I listened live, but think it will be on a podcast. Crazy reasoning by these guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Given the climate of sports, especially the questions around pro basketball, I'd say projecting anything is really impossible. For one, if players start to wonder if a career in pro hoops is viable, things are going to change quickly in who is joining a team and why. We'll know more after the NBA experiments with finishing their season, but Florida isn't looking too good right now.

But this positioning they've done really shows the level of respect Steele has gained early in his head coaching career. It doesn't look good, no matter how silly their basis is.
    Or, you mean the "level of respect Steele Hasn't gained early..."
    Steele has done nothing so far to earn a position higher than 8th. Everyone is basing all of their hope on recruits...5 of them who have never played a college game. THAT is wishing on a star and hoping for a pot of gold, because 38-29 ain't doing it yet.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Post that shit in the locker room. (I know you can't post a podcast, but you get where I'm going.)
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Pimp