Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    It would be nice to know the caliber of competition he was going against, but even so, he can dribble through traffic and can, at least in this video, make a jumpshot occasionally.
    Probably not great. Most high school competition isn’t great unless you are playing one of the loaded prep schools. I think he has a lot of tools that 6’10” high school players usually don’t have so they have a lot to work with it appears. He’s only a junior so should keep improving and get stronger. Coaches obviously like him it so you have to trust that. It’s not like he was a desperate take because it’s late in the game. He is actually one of the earlier commits under Steele. Also had some solid offers so this seems like a really positive pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I now go by the theory of "beware of the recruit videos". Brad Redford's video made him look better than Stephen Curry. I saw Dontarius James' video and thought he might be all league.
    I could have told who Brad Redford was based on those videos. Easy to see he lacked elite athleticism.

The change in competition is a huge part of the transition, but even if Edwards didn't have someone closing out on him the best or muscling him hard away from the hoop in high school, he still has to have a knack for getting the ball in the hoop. Seems obvious, but so many kids are recruited who can't shoot.

Especially with jump shots, he seems to score at a decent level. And it looks like he's growing into his body and learning how to dominate inside, which is just something that takes time.

Edwards is one of the more balanced players I think we've had. Most of the guys can't shoot and are just open-floor dunkers, who can't really succeed once they meet with college defenses clogging the lane.
    Last edited by sirthought; 07-02-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

Edwards is one of the more balanced players I think we've had. Most of the guys can't shoot and are just open-floor dunkers, who can't really succeed once they meeting college defenses clogging the lane.
    This has been a pet peeve of mine, the number of non shooters we recruited. It looks as though Steele is determined to make shooting a priority. His first 2 classes have valued shooting and basketball sense, instead of just unbridled athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    This has been a pet peeve of mine, the number of non shooters we recruited. It looks as though Steele is determined to make shooting a priority. His first 2 classes have valued shooting and basketball sense, instead of just unbridled athleticism.
    I agree with you. Athleticism is key, but you still need to be able to put the ball through the basket, and from outside the three point line.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I agree with you. Athleticism is key, but you still need to be able to put the ball through the basket, and from outside the three point line.
    This recruiting theory has worked well for Nova.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    Just watched a couple videos. Will never understand rankings. Very polished offensively. Looks like a great pickup for X. Very exciting news!
    Despite my personal caveat when watching a recruit's highlight films, after watching his film, I see he's an athletic guy who is 6'10" who can shoot threes.

Sort of reminds me of Kaiser Gates.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sort of reminds me of Kaiser Gates.
    It looks like he is more skilled than Kaiser. We'll see.
    Last edited by XU 87; 07-01-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Hoping he's a more skilled Kaiser Gates rather than another Makinde London (who I liked, but just didn't pan out).
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Pimp