Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Athletic

It has now been 27 days since a Xavier article was posted at the Athletic.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    It has now been 27 days since a Xavier article was posted at the Athletic.
    Yes but Mo Eggar did write about how tragic the 2000 UC season ended so that was at least amusing to read.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Yes but Mo Eggar did write about how tragic the 2000 UC season ended so that was at least amusing to read.
    64-66. Poor guys, lol

The NYT is buying, and will presumably ruin, the Athletic.

Shannon Russell was such an excellent writer for the X beat.

We were spoiled rotten by her gift.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The NYT is buying, and will presumably ruin, the Athletic.
    Gross.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    I am not as big a sports fan as i used to be so a lot of college football, MLB stuff etc went unread. I am sad to find that the younger generation is not that sports mad. In retirement i have substitute taught at an urban school system and except for a little basic NBA there is very little interest among the males. Zero interest in college basketball and recently was with a couple of huge basketball fans (all mid 60s) who said when they went to local high school or small college hoop games the majority of fans "look like us".

I find that fascinating. Maybe you are on to something. My son (9) loves playing basketball on a team, but he isn’t all that interested in watching college hoops or even NBA games. I even have trouble getting him to sit and watch an X game with me. He doesn’t care to watch football either. Maybe there are just too many other things vying for young people’s attention, unlike back when we were kids. I will admit, like you, I have lost interest in most sports too. Other than my son’s games, I only care to watch college hoops, college football and the NFL. Even then, I usually only watch a handful of NFL games a year and only a handful of college games outside of the ones that are either against X or the college football team I’ve been rooting for since I was a kid. I don’t believe I’ve watched an entire baseball game in over 5 years (when My brother and I took my son to a Mets game).

I’d probably go to more games if I still lived where I was raised or if I still lived in Cincinnati. Honestly, it feels like a waste of time watching games unless you really love the team you are watching. I’d rather go see a Broadway/Off Broadway show or even see a movie with the family. Time becomes more and more precious the older you get and you find you start to become choosier about what you do and with whom you do it… exactly why I am determined to get my son to sit and watch some X games with me this year.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I find that fascinating. Maybe you are on to something. My son (9) loves playing basketball on a team, but he isn’t all that interested in watching college hoops or even NBA games. I even have trouble getting him to sit and watch an X game with me. He doesn’t care to watch football either. Maybe there are just too many other things vying for young people’s attention, unlike back when we were kids. I will admit, like you, I have lost interest in most sports too. Other than my son’s games, I only care to watch college hoops, college football and the NFL. Even then, I usually only watch a handful of NFL games a year and only a handful of college games outside of the ones that are either against X or the college football team I’ve been rooting for since I was a kid. I don’t believe I’ve watched an entire baseball game in over 5 years (when My brother and I took my son to a Mets game).

I’d probably go to more games if I still lived where I was raised or if I still lived in Cincinnati. Honestly, it feels like a waste of time watching games unless you really love the team you are watching. I’d rather go see a Broadway/Off Broadway show or even see a movie with the family. Time becomes more and more precious the older you get and you find you start to become choosier about what you do and with whom you do it… exactly why I am determined to get my son to sit and watch some X games with me this year.
    From what I gather all the kids would rather watch highlights on youtube of the specific players they like than actually watch an entire game. Or highlights of an individual game. My kids are still too young to really sit down and care about watching a sport on TV, although for the first time my 5 year old sat and watched the majority of an X game with me. However, my brothers were both in town and with us so that he got to watch with his uncles was probably a big part of it. Also we were watching it on delay so we fast forwarded thorough all the commercials!
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    From what I gather all the kids would rather watch highlights on youtube of the specific players they like than actually watch an entire game. Or highlights of an individual game. My kids are still too young to really sit down and care about watching a sport on TV, although for the first time my 5 year old sat and watched the majority of an X game with me. However, my brothers were both in town and with us so that he got to watch with his uncles was probably a big part of it. Also we were watching it on delay so we fast forwarded thorough all the commercials!
    My 11-yr-old son has zero interest. Zero, zip, zap, zilch. He’s on YouTube all the time. I wish he were watching sports highlights, but nope, never. I don’t know what to do.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb