Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Junior
    Saw a long interview with a professor from NYU. He stated there will be a big change in education. The elite will all continue on fine, The Ivys, Stanford, ND, Northwestern. He called these colleges, finishing schools for the wealthy. He claimed schools like Harvard could double their enrollment if they chose @ $90k a year. And he thought there are some that might.The lower tier and community colleges will also thrive, because of affordability. It's the second tier schools that will suffer, because they have been charging near elite tuition for average education. And those with low endowments will really suffer. He mentioned the elite will be selecting from the second tier pool of applicants, and this year is a great time to be on an elite school's waiting list. Doesn't sound like good news for X. Hope they can weather the storm.

Is this a thread about transferring, or conference re-alignment?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    COVID pretty sure....
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    The post was intended to comment on how the pandemic has spotlighted the cost and value of a college education. Once colleges converted last semester ( and some will continue ) to online learning, the whole value proposition of expensive 4 year colleges became under heightened scrutiny. Increased tuition and student fees have occurred in part due to the costs of intercollegiate athletics. Out of 2000 colleges with intercollegiate athletics less than 3 percent did not need an subsidy from other revenue. Not knowing Xaviers numbers my guess is that men’s basketball covers a lot of the athletic budget hopefully minimizing the need to subsidize the Athletic Department .
    The reason athletics exist at schools that subsidize them is athletics are the best enrollment investment . I doubt Xaviers expanded campus would exist but for the Cintas Center and mens basketball . Supporting Xavier basketball is supporting the university. They are linked . One cannot exist without the other.

Sophomore
    Agreed and as an alumni parent I donate when I can and have my kids but season tickets and help them out. I live in Conn and supposedly should like the New York teams but with the upheaval in NBA now with constant player movement and dissatisfaction you actually have more continuity and involvement rooting for a college team than a pro team. I hope everyone everywhere can stay positive; I can even imagine how exciting other big east schools are for their team and it is certainly part of the fabric of Omaha, or Indianapolis or Providence. Ironically as a UConn graduate I have little interest in the team; used to like it when they had some in state players but now a national team with little local interest

My sarcasm font is broken again.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    The post was intended to comment on how the pandemic has spotlighted the cost and value of a college education. Once colleges converted last semester ( and some will continue ) to online learning, the whole value proposition of expensive 4 year colleges became under heightened scrutiny. Increased tuition and student fees have occurred in part due to the costs of intercollegiate athletics. Out of 2000 colleges with intercollegiate athletics less than 3 percent did not need an subsidy from other revenue. Not knowing Xaviers numbers my guess is that men’s basketball covers a lot of the athletic budget hopefully minimizing the need to subsidize the Athletic Department .
    The reason athletics exist at schools that subsidize them is athletics are the best enrollment investment . I doubt Xaviers expanded campus would exist but for the Cintas Center and mens basketball . Supporting Xavier basketball is supporting the university. They are linked . One cannot exist without the other.
    Spot on.

I would have been very worried had this happened to Xavier in the mid-70’s, but not now. Xavier has never been healthier than it is now and it continues to expand.

And online learning is here to stay, but it is no panacea. It cannot replace the classroom experience and it , by definition, is incapable of allowing students to build relationships and life long friendships.

The Big East has been a godsend to Xavier. We truly recruit on a national level now, certainly as compared to where we were 10 years ago. Demographic realities are tough and getting tougher for a while, but X is well positioned to move forward.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    College eduction is broken and needs to evolve. My wife has a family friend who was the president of Ford in Europe. He was later the Dean of the business school in a major northeastern university. I wish I could find it, but he wrote a paper about how silly it is that a “four year” college experience takes even THREE years.

You are preparing to go into the “real world”? Well, then you don’t get 3 weeks off at Christmas, a Spring Break and the summer off. It’s a factory of education, you run it all year long. You don’t stop making cars in the summer, as that would be wasting the “factory” as it sits empty with no production. Being more productive may help bring the cost down.
    For students who don't do much during those breaks- I agree, it does no good. Ideally though students are using those summers "off" as internships etc. that help gain experiences they bring back to school- it should help shape them more if used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    For students who don't do much during those breaks- I agree, it does no good. Ideally though students are using those summers "off" as internships etc. that help gain experiences they bring back to school- it should help shape them more if used correctly.
    Internships are absolutely great, but there is just too much wasted time in a “traditional” 4 year college experience. Most kids are getting a summer job waiting tables or painting houses to have some spending/beer money for next year. My son had an internship, but not until after his junior year. They want nothing to do with you until you reach that point, at least in his field. Internships could even be worked in during a semester if people are creative and treat it like a part time job.

It’s also not just summers. It’s spring break, a few weeks at Christmas, etc. Again, treat it like a factory and make it productive. You don’t shut down the Ford or Toyota factories the way you do universities. The cost of education is out of control and I hope they find ways to be more efficient and cost effective. Too many people are either being priced out of an education or entering their adult lives with a mountain of student debt. My son is working on an MBA now and I was shocked by the price tag.

Sophomore
    When I went to X (1963-1967) we had a number of students from the East Coast. They were mostly students from families who wanted a Jesuit education for their kids but could not afford the east Coast Jebbie schools Like Georgetown.