Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Internships are absolutely great, but there is just too much wasted time in a “traditional” 4 year college experience. Most kids are getting a summer job waiting tables or painting houses to have some spending/beer money for next year. My son had an internship, but not until after his junior year. They want nothing to do with you until you reach that point, at least in his field. Internships could even be worked in during a semester if people are creative and treat it like a part time job.

It’s also not just summers. It’s spring break, a few weeks at Christmas, etc. Again, treat it like a factory and make it productive. You don’t shut down the Ford or Toyota factories the way you do universities. The cost of education is out of control and I hope they find ways to be more efficient and cost effective. Too many people are either being priced out of an education or entering their adult lives with a mountain of student debt. My son is working on an MBA now and I was shocked by the price tag.
    What is called “Co- Operative Education” is one of the best educational models. Students alternate semesters between classes and work. They get a degree and build a resume. Since mentioning the name of one university on this board in other than pejorative terms is bad form, I will just post this article.
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...nship-programs

I considered GMI (now Kettering University) when I was looking at colleges. Pretty cool model of cooperative education, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    When I went to X (1963-1967) we had a number of students from the East Coast. They were mostly students from families who wanted a Jesuit education for their kids but could not afford the east Coast Jebbie schools Like Georgetown.
    And, there were 2 of us from Tennessee :)

(also I had 2 brothers who went to Georgetown. I was really tired of following them, so X was a great place to go.)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    What is called “Co- Operative Education” is one of the best educational models. Students alternate semesters between classes and work. They get a degree and build a resume. Since mentioning the name of one university on this board in other than pejorative terms is bad form, I will just post this article.
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...nship-programs
    My son graduated with degrees in accounting and finance plus a masters in accounting. (Three degrees in 5 years.) He had passed the CPA exam and did have a brief internship before his senior year. When he started his first real job, they gathered up all the new guys and said “Don’t worry, we are fully aware that you don’t know squat.” It was true.

Yes, a model that included a little actual experience has advantages.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    And, there were 2 of us from Tennessee :)

(also I had 2 brothers who went to Georgetown. I was really tired of following them, so X was a great place to go.)
    Tennessee ? Catholicism? 1963? Jesuits? Now there is a backstory that deserves its own thread on some site . Because it has to be a one off.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    My son graduated with degrees in accounting and finance plus a masters in accounting. (Three degrees in 5 years.) He had passed the CPA exam and did have a brief internship before his senior year. When he started his first real job, they gathered up all the new guys and said “Don’t worry, we are fully aware that you don’t know squat.” It was true.

Yes, a model that included a little actual experience has advantages.
    You have to be very proud. I will assume your Xavier education gave you the wisdom to inspire your son to be so grounded, focused and successful.
    Congratulations to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by A Fan View Post
    Tennessee ? Catholicism? 1963? Jesuits? Now there is a backstory that deserves its own thread on some site . Because it has to be a one off.
    I guess it's unusual. Dad went to work for TVA in the 30's; mom was from Philly where her dad worked at St Joe's Prep.
    So, she/they were all about Jesuit education. Weren't many Catholics in Tennessee then, or in South Carolina now. 3-4%.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.