Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Freshman

To Survive And Thrive

You have to have sympathy for the College Administrators trying to figure out when and how to open their campuses and the details of the fall and winter sports programs. Because some epidemiologists are predicting a spike in covid 19 cases in the late fall, whatever one thinks today can change tomorrow. Notre Dame’s academic reopening plan seems to built on the assumption of a fall spike in cases and therefore is starting the semester on August 12 and concluding it by Thanksgiving trying to keep the students in place. They are eliminating a fall semester break and a Thanksgiving break since the students could bring the virus back to the campus. Theoretically , when they return to classes in January, any fall virus spike will have been mitigated , and they can do extensive testing upon return. When you look at their protocols for masking and social distancing packing the football stadium in October seems inconsistent if not unlikely.

“ In its announcement on Monday, Notre Dame also said that “contact tracing, quarantine and isolation protocols, social distancing and mask requirements, and enhanced cleaning of all campus spaces” will all be a part of university’s plan to reopen. The university has also said it’s set aside facilities where students who have tested positive for coronavirus can isolate.”

I have no idea what Xaviers plan is to reopen the campus, nor what the Big East Commissioners will conclude about the Basketball season. For all college basketball programs trying to get fans to renew seat licenses and buy basketball tickets, they will have to rely on the loyalty and good faith of the fans since no one can predict if games will be played, where and when. To encourage Xavier fans to renew tickets Xavier states:

“ Xavier Athletics announced that refund or credit opportunities will be available for Xavier men's basketball 2020-21 season tickets, should restrictions be put into place to limit attendance.
    "We recognize that these are unprecedented times across the country, and large gatherings like sporting events and concerts have been temporarily halted. While we prepare for the upcoming Xavier men's basketball season this fall, there is still much uncertainty around such events. Should restrictions still exist that would result in anything from fewer games to a cancelled season, rest assured that Xavier will have credit and refund options available for season ticket holders. More information will be coming in the future as things become more clear. We look forward to seeing you in Cintas Center again soon. “

I am sure folks will say this statement is overly vague since it does not state seat licenses are refundable , etc. and will result in confusion and disappointment . If it turns out any games at the Cintas Center have to be socially distanced ( every other seat) and they split the attendees into different games, those missing Villanova and Creighton, for example , will cry foul. There are many other scenarios that could leave ticket holders jaded. I think the bottom line is that we renew our tickets because we want the program to survive and thrive and whatever the monetary outcome it will be ok. I guess that is what it means to be a FAN .

I renewed my tickets as usual and won't worry about a refund if there's an option to apply it to the next season. I also understand why people would not do so depending on their personal and family situations. We are all Xavier fans.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sophomore
    Maybe I'm being pessimistic Pete here, but I've read several articles about how this virus is changing education and how many schools will not come out on the other end, because of declining enrollment, increased costs, etc. With Xavier having a relatively small endowment, what does the future of Xavier University look like?

I'd be interested in seeing XU's enrollment this fall.
    I can only imagine if a parent decided to have child go to a local school until the media stops with the mask and virus threats.

Oh yes the $78,000 cost is high too.

Supporting Member
    Or maybe this will fix the ridiculous cost of going to college..feeling sympathy for college administrators? That's hysterical.

A lot of colleges were struggling before this crap started so it’s going to get ugly. I have seen several colleges drop sports and Urbana near Columbus closed altogether recently. I would imagine over the next few years we will see a lot of universities close down. More people will go the online route and people just don’t want to keep forking out the big dollars. State university systems will do a lot of consolidating. Should be interesting. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Akron and Kent State and Toledo and Bowling Green merge at some point.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Or maybe this will fix the ridiculous cost of going to college..feeling sympathy for college administrators? That's hysterical.
    Agree completely. I'm a member of a local golf club here in town. Every year we hire a half dozen (or so) local college kids for the summer. I'm forty five years removed from college and I always enjoy talking with these young people about their course of study, classes, career objectives, etc. I have been struck, over about the last five years, by the number of on-line courses they take---even a significant no. of graduate courses are handled this way. I'm not against on-line learning; I'm in my mid sixties and take courses on-line. But, sitting in front of a terminal doesn't replace the in-class experience---the interaction with professors, dialogue with other students. etc. Colleges are charging these students full bore but delivering Wal Mart quality education. But, yet, the schools want more money for their silly ass socially oriented programs--not for education. It just seems like such a fraud. I also taught Finance, as an adjunct instructor here in town for a number of years. I taught because I really enjoyed the interaction but preparing for a three hour, once per week class takes hours. I never was paid more than $750 for a semester. The universities not only f**k the students; they f**k some of the faculty too.

So, its hard for me to feel sorry for university administrators. They are the architects of this hoax.

All that said, I hope we have a season.

College eduction is broken and needs to evolve. My wife has a family friend who was the president of Ford in Europe. He was later the Dean of the business school in a major northeastern university. I wish I could find it, but he wrote a paper about how silly it is that a “four year” college experience takes even THREE years.

You are preparing to go into the “real world”? Well, then you don’t get 3 weeks off at Christmas, a Spring Break and the summer off. It’s a factory of education, you run it all year long. You don’t stop making cars in the summer, as that would be wasting the “factory” as it sits empty with no production. Being more productive may help bring the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by SC in DC View Post
    Maybe I'm being pessimistic Pete here, but I've read several articles about how this virus is changing education and how many schools will not come out on the other end, because of declining enrollment, increased costs, etc. With Xavier having a relatively small endowment, what does the future of Xavier University look like?
    Yield figures for enrollment for this year were met.

National recruiting profile now.

Thank you Big East and Xavier’s management.
    X A V I E R